Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnc
    replied
    Solaris may be dead but it still has some very nice features that have yet to be replicated elsewhere. One of those is ZFS.

Leave a comment:

• jvillain
    replied
    Originally posted by vertexSymphony View Post
    How sweet, as long as this is pre-alpha crap and not production-ready (ex: tested in critical and big enviroments and debugged like ZFS is) ... it's replacement for nothing.
    The patent thing is bullshit, because if the same functionality is implemented, even if it's new code with GPL, it would violate the patents nonetheless ... that's why the ZFS code, which is under the CDDL, has a patent license grant clause
    Another Solaris fan that just hasn't gotten over the fact that Solaris/Sun is dead I take it? CDDL was a complete failure as a licence because it wasn't an open license it was basically the same as Microsofts "open" licenses. Sun had the right idea but could never sack up enough to take the company there. BTW btrfs was started by Oracle who also owns ZFS now.

Leave a comment:

• vertexSymphony
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    Or perhaps BTRFS is more of a ZFS replacement with many of the features of ZFS, considering the patents and the license surrounding ZFS.
    How sweet, as long as this is pre-alpha crap and not production-ready (ex: tested in critical and big enviroments and debugged like ZFS is) ... it's replacement for nothing.
    The patent thing is bullshit, because if the same functionality is implemented, even if it's new code with GPL, it would violate the patents nonetheless ... that's why the ZFS code, which is under the CDDL, has a patent license grant clause

Leave a comment:

• jvillain
    replied
    There is a tool btrfsck but it will only tell you your file system is broken. It won't fix it. A working btrfsck has been promised since the begging of time but appears to have fallen by the wayside. That is a blocker for Fedora to make btrfs the default but that hasn't stopped others like Oracle. If your FS is borked there are things you can try though I don't remember the links off the top of my head.But I would try btrfsck first to see what it has to say.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by niemand View Post
    is it no possible to repair a broken Btrfs - had this month's ago after crash, my $Home was close to dead.

@Markore is it possible to use ZFS with Linux - thought only for BSD?
    I think there is a tool for repairing btrfs.

Leave a comment:

• niemand
    replied
    how to repair

is it no possible to repair a broken Btrfs - had this month's ago after crash, my $Home was close to dead.

@Markore is it possible to use ZFS with Linux - thought only for BSD?

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Originally posted by Markore View Post
    Until further notice, use ZFS/ZPL. In production for 6+ years already. (ZfsOnLinux kernel module and Illumos/BSD)
    - While BTRFS is re-inventing ZFS, still.
    Or perhaps BTRFS is more of a ZFS replacement with many of the features of ZFS, considering the patents and the license surrounding ZFS.

Leave a comment:

• ImNtReal
    replied
    Originally posted by kiwi_kid_aka_bod View Post
    Last I read they had corruption issues with the RAID5/6 code, so it got delayed. I think since then it may have stagnated a bit, so it requires a chunk of work to bring it into line with master, and fixing the corruption issue.
    It would be nice if we could get an update on this, though. It's frustrating having RAID 10 eating all my disk space.

Leave a comment:

• Markore
    replied
    ZFS had it in production ages ago.

Until further notice, use ZFS/ZPL. In production for 6+ years already. (ZfsOnLinux kernel module and Illumos/BSD)
    - While BTRFS is re-inventing ZFS, still.

Leave a comment:

• kiwi_kid_aka_bod
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post
    Send/receive is great, but what happened to raid 5/6 that were due for 3.6?
    Last I read they had corruption issues with the RAID5/6 code, so it got delayed. I think since then it may have stagnated a bit, so it requires a chunk of work to bring it into line with master, and fixing the corruption issue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X