Mono Working Close With Microsoft, Gets $12M USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
    Sure, formally you're right. Yet it's easy to guess these are probably just some M$ proxies.
    You know why you get dismissed as a paranoid conspiracy theorist?

Because you're a paranoid conspiracy theorist.

Demonstrate how Microsoft have any control at all over Charles River Ventures, FLOODGATE, or Ignition Partners.

Oh, I see, some of Ignition Partners are ex-Microsoft, which is a secret front. Is that it?

Comment

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
      So you see, all best mobile games are usually OpenGL based. In fact many serios game engines (including commercial high-profile things) are supporting OpenGL rendering backend these days.
      You're right. Hence MonoGame uses OpenGL as the back-end on non-Windows platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by lapis View Post
        Xamarin : promoting MS .NET .
        I think their investors would be pretty pissed if they spent their $12M on promoting Microsoft.NET. I think the idea is to promote MonoTouch and Mono for Android.

Mono is not an alternative to MS.NET .Mono is to push a MS standard to another platforms.
        And apparently enough people want that to warrant $12M in funding to extend the developer pool past the current 150k.

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
          Other than making the numbers harder to read, what exactly have you achieved? You certainly haven't disputed my point.
          I wasn't disputing your point, I was disputing Nielsen's extremely poor way of representing percentages which you linked to.

Sure. But you'd be missing the point of the article (and of the $12M in investor funding).
          Was the article about .NET vs Mono on mobile?

As for my comment it was obviously that neither Mono nor .NET are the platform(s) that matters on mobile.

Now I have nothing against Mono although I personally have no love for either the C# language or the .NET framework. As I see it MonoTouch, Mono for Android and IOS etc mainly offer XBLA refugees a way to use their existing knowledge (and hopefully some of their existing code) to target the much more attractive markets of IOS and Android so obviously it serves a purpose. Wether or not it will actually emerge to be the 'platform that matters' on mobile remains to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Can we see Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), Workflow (WF), Windows Presentation Framework (WPF), Entity Framework (EF) now?

Then maybe we can have full support for ASP.NET.
            so much this. Not because of ASP.NET but because WindowsForms is so outdated. WPF is such a nice framework that is easy to learn/understand and it's much easier to design GUIs with that XAML code instead of having to place everything on the form.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
              Was the article about .NET vs Mono on mobile?
              Yes. Although Larabel might not have realised it.

As for my comment it was obviously that neither Mono nor .NET are the platform(s) that matters on mobile.
              Except for the #1 most popular game engine on any mobile platform being Mono-based, right?

Wether or not it will actually emerge to be the 'platform that matters' on mobile remains to be seen.
              And how would that determination be made? What're your metrics?

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                so much this. Not because of ASP.NET but because WindowsForms is so outdated. WPF is such a nice framework that is easy to learn/understand and it's much easier to design GUIs with that XAML code instead of having to place everything on the form.
                What's wrong with GTK#?

Comment

Yes. Although Larabel might not have realised it.
                  Ehh, Mono's current efforts aren't targeting the enterprise, they're creating a framework for developing mobile games/applications. Microsoft could likely not care any less.

Except for the most popular game engine on any mobile platform[/url] being Mono-based, right?
                  Unity uses Mono to support scripting, which includes UnityScript, Boo or C#, Unity itself (runtime) is not written in C#, it's native and IIRC it's written in C++. How is that 'based on Mono'? By the way, do you know if the Mono devs get even a penny out of Unity's use of it as a scripting engine?

And how would that determination be made? What're your metrics?
                  By it becoming the dominant development platform on mobile.

Comment

Original article says they're receiving 12 million dollars in funding, and have 150,000 developers using their products, of which 7,500 are paying customers.

It's as if your brain is actually incapable of processing external stimuli
                    What are they working on? Mobile market, perhaps? I only care about Linux desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by lapis View Post
                      Xamarin : promoting MS .NET .

Mono is not an alternative to MS.NET .Mono is to push a MS standard to another platforms.
                      That's true, of course. They're pushing so hard, because they want to kill Qt which is much more developers and non Windows platforms friendly. That's also why they acquired Nokia.
                      Last edited by kraftman; 25 July 2012, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X