Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since there's K3B, nothing else is even needed, especially not a proprietary solution.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Since there's K3B, nothing else is even needed, especially not a proprietary solution.
      What is wrong in proprietary software for Linux?

Did you try burn Blu-Ray disc on k3b?

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
        These days it's online content (TPB, etc)
        To Slow ...

and/or USB flash drive.
        To Small ... and to expensive.

I use Currently 2.5" USB 3 HDDs for backups and as Data-graves

Comment

Good riddance.

Optical media is dead.

These days it's online content (TPB, etc) and/or USB flash drive.
          Damn right. Death to optical media.

A nice, speedy USB 3.0 2TB external hard disk takes cares of all my storage needs. For those with bigger storage needs, there's NAS from Synology and others.

Comment

Linux again loses Its advantage over OS X, because Nero was never ported to OS X.

"As you can probably tell, Nero Linux isn't exactly a lightweight burning application... there are many possibilities here. This is one of the advantages Nero has over such solutions as K3b... the sheer number of options available. The thing to bear in mind, though, is that the majority of users will likely rarely ever take advantage of all these additional options, but for those who burn often, and take it seriously, there's no competition where the sheer flexibility of Nero is concerned."

One of the best features of Linux is its sheer number of free available applications. But once in a while, certain commercial offerings deliver enough features and an ease-of-use that makes it worthy of consideration. Nero Linux is one of those. Now in its third iteration, Nero Linux remains the...
            Last edited by gbudny; 18 July 2012, 11:13 AM.

Comment

And USB sticks are like $5, that's not expensive at all.
              If you want to give the medium away ( e.g. To an friend or smt else ) the DVD win the price match. And DVD coast around 40 cent and an 4Gb USB Stick or SD card coast 4-5$

Comment

Now with GRUB2 I don't even have to use my USB sticks anymore since I can boot ISOs straight back from the HDD with the GRUB2 loopback feature.

Optical media is dead.
                Seriously? Many good games for Linux are still available on DVD/CD discs.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Even on Windows I stopped using it. Latest good version of their software was 6. Now is only bloatware.
                  Nero 7 is where it started going south...was usable but the nero search spyware was hard to get rid of

I still use Nero 6 on an older machine though

K3B would rock on Windows if it was available

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
                    What is wrong in proprietary software for Linux?

Did you try burn Blu-Ray disc on k3b?
                    That's being worked on

Comment

Yea, writing to optical media is something I don't do often (I don't even recall what was the last time I did it). USB drives are a much better investment, because if you no longer need something that you wrote to a disc, you can only throw it away (unless it's a CD/DVD-RW, in which case you need to do it after 3 times or so). And even without that, they keep failing constantly. So the only time I write anything to a disc is for semi-long term storage of something that takes a lot of space but is not very important. Old archives, for instance.

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      @bug77

Not fully true. Not that somebody really needs XP those days but there are 2 ways. One way is using a stick with U3 support. First you disable U3 using win (this did not fully work with u3-tool for whatever reason) then you can use u3-tool to partition the usb key (-p) and put the iso image on it (-l). It will show up as cd drive. That works with every iso image. The other variant would be using a tool that prepares the stick to install XP but you have to modify the boot.ini later.
                      Or just use this, or one of the other tools that does it.

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                      If you want to give the medium away ( e.g. To an friend or smt else ) the DVD win the price match. And DVD coast around 40 cent and an 4Gb USB Stick or SD card coast 4-5$
                      If I wanted to give something to a friend, I'd send him a link or copy from the USB drive, then take the USB drive back with me.

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
                      Seriously? Many good games for Linux are still available on DVD/CD discs.
                      I'm pretty sure that many good games for Linux are also available digitally. And anyway, this thread is about writing to optical media, not reading from it.

Comment

Working...
                      X