This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jvillain View Post
    K3B is far better any ways. Though they do need to get off of HAL and onto uDev.
    Are you sure it steel depends on HAL? Btw. k3b is the most popular Linux burning software. Many of Ubuntu users tend to replace brasero with it. There are also few other KDE applications that are ranked as most used in Ubuntu Software Center.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      Back in the days.
      5. Nero was actually ported. Wow.
      6. But Nero was already a bloat on Windows. It wasn't about burning. It was about everything and all.
      You never used Nero Linux then, it was ONLY the burning app, no suite. It was not really hard to use but as i mentioned before the 08/15 user will not buy it because the default tools (or the easyly available) ones do already the job, The features i mentioned before are nice, but today you usually don't need bootable cds to update a bios, you can do that with integrated bios update tools or you boot from a (free)dos usb key (i have got a script for that). I did not test udf support with k3b that much, i know one Kanotix user who had issues with bluray and now uses as suggested imgburn. Nero might have worked as well but who really wants to pay for an app when you get other (better) ones for free?

Comment

K3B is far better any ways. Though they do need to get off of HAL and onto uDev.
        I'm HAL-less for quite some time now and never had problems with K3B on Arch Linux.

Comment

So what's the news here? Nero for Windows is still around? What does it do these days?

Comment

Never had a need for Nero. Schilling's cdrecord has never failed me. Wodim, on the other hand, has - one bad burn, and I had had enough and installed the original cdrtools.

Comment

K3B is far better any ways.
              Why?

Did you used nero for Linux?

I think they should sell Nero on Ubuntu Software Center.
              Last edited by gbudny; 18 July 2012, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Still best for blu-rays

This is unfortunate, nero4linux is still THE best option for blu-ray writing. I've had multiple problems with dvd+rw-tools and k3b when writing blu-ray disks, and none with nero. I did report most of these bugs to developers of both open source programs, and they still haven't been fixed for 2 years now. k3b really seems to be in "fix some critical bugs only, nothing more" development stage, almost abandoned.

Comment

I have to agree with the general sentiment. Nero Linux was just too late.
                  When I switched over to linux K3B was still in its infancy (did it exist at all?), so I missed Nero very much --- I had used Nero since the windows 98 version, when it replaced the god awful "Easy CD Creator".

But then K3B kept improving, and by the time Nero Linux came out, it was too late, most users had what they needed in K3B (and later brasero), and Nero linux did not have all of the features (even the burning related ones) from its big brother, so nobody was very interested.

If the open-source community wants an application like yours, and you refuse to port it, well, be on the lookout because soon it might not be needed at all anymore.

Comment

There was Nero for Linux?

Anyway, I know that the linux version was different, but on windows it started as a really nice cd-burning tool and ended up trying to be a mini operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                      Anyway, I know that the linux version was different, but on windows it started as a really nice cd-burning tool and ended up trying to be a mini operating system.
                      On Linux, Nero it is still the "really nice cd-burning tool"

Comment

Working...
                      X