Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 3.5-rc7 Kernel: Not Cool, Guys. Not Cool.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But better have some patches again but then a stable and good working kernel than to release too early and things being in a flaky state.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I couldn't even build 3.5 yet (only a quick test and not really checked why), last I tried were 3.5-rc6. I have big hopes in it to be able to follow kernel releases again, my radeon card doesn't work properly since 3.4 release...

Maybe later at home

Comment

Linus Torvalds is complaining that the *rc7 for 3.5 kernel version is bigger than *rc6. This is a good thing because it adds fixes, improvements, and comments. I have no problem downloading a bigger kernel than before, but it better work though.

I rarely do kernel upgrades. If the new kernel fixes a problem that I had with my computer, I then upgrade. If it does not I do not upgrade the kernel. Following and upgrading after every kernel patch that comes out is just testing Murphy's law.

Comment

Originally posted by tecknurd View Post
          Linus Torvalds is complaining that the *rc7 for 3.5 kernel version is bigger than *rc6. This is a good thing because it adds fixes, improvements, and comments. I have no problem downloading a bigger kernel than before, but it better work though.

I rarely do kernel upgrades. If the new kernel fixes a problem that I had with my computer, I then upgrade. If it does not I do not upgrade the kernel. Following and upgrading after every kernel patch that comes out is just testing Murphy's law.
          Linus doesn't care about the size of the kernel (much). He's complaining that people saved up all their fixes for a late rc when he would have preferred to have them come in earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by tecknurd View Post
            It doesn't really. With rc7 I have a good chance that the screen remains black on waking up from suspend, with rc6 it seems to work fine. Big changes = way bigger chance of breaking something.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Linus doesn't care about the size of the kernel (much). He's complaining that people saved up all their fixes for a late rc when he would have preferred to have them come in earlier.
              They do the same in politics, wait until the very last moment and then push it through parlament before the ministers have time to read it

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                It doesn't really. With rc7 I have a good chance that the screen remains black on waking up from suspend, with rc6 it seems to work fine. Big changes = way bigger chance of breaking something.
                Did you file the bug?

Comment

Working...
                X