No announcement yet.

SDL 2.0 Is Coming Very Soon With New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The advancement of SDL (or any viable alternative to directX) is extremely important to multi platform gaming. I'm glad to see Valve is helping out, and that progress is being made.

F

Comment

Originally posted by TdR91 View Post
      And what about adding Alt-Tab feature? A lot of people are complaining about that.
      Why? We already have (Strg-)Alt-Fx.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I assume you're aware of MPX for linux? I've set that up myself and multiple mouse pointers isn't as awesome as you'd think it would be. I have lots of practical ideas for it, but there's so many obstacles.
        I have tried that too but none of the mainstream window managers seem to support more than one window at the same time having a pointer/keyboard focus.

I thought you could make a hassle-less on-the-fly multiseat solution where each seat uses the same X session with just "caging" a mouse/keyboard combination to one screen and a window manager that is aware of that.

Comment

I'm dissapointed that working alt+tab support is not on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
            The advancement of SDL (or any viable alternative to directX) is extremely important to multi platform gaming. I'm glad to see Valve is helping out, and that progress is being made.
            Yes, irrc from looking at the Humble Bundle stuff released as open source most of them relied on SDL so it seems to be a very popular framework in the indie games sector, also afaik it works for Android (and ios?) which makes it alot easier to release your games across platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
              Yes, irrc from looking at the Humble Bundle stuff released as open source most of them relied on SDL so it seems to be a very popular framework in the indie games sector, also afaik it works for Android (and ios?) which makes it alot easier to release your games across platforms.
              Indie games? Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 rely on SDL just as well. And I bet many others are, too (I just don't have any of them installed right now).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Indie games? Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 rely on SDL just as well. And I bet many others are, too (I just don't have any of them installed right now).
                All LGP and Runesoft games for Linux rely on SDL.

Comment

Are there any major games that rely on the SDL 2D API for rendering sprites/backgrounds? CW seems to be that if you want to do much more than tutorial/demo stuff with SDL 1.2 you basically need to use OpenGL for rendering, but most people I've found saying that are still learning SDL, so I don't know if it's really true.

Comment

My own game that I developed first used the SDL 2D API. But then I decided that I don't want to lock the resolution to a preset value, and so I needed something more sophisticated that could scale my sprites, therefore I moved to the OpenGL API as well.

That said, the SDL 2D API is used by DOSBox, although it's not a game by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                      Hopefully it would provide a big opportunity to depreciate/replace APIs like OpenAL and simplify the commonly used APIs for gaming.
                      I think you might be reading too much of this phoronix blog... your conclusion "OpenAL is inferior to SDL_audio" couldn't be more wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X