Mozilla To Shaft Thunderbird Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Linus said: FUCK YOU MOZILLA!
    Srsly, this makes me very angry. Damn I really hope that the new webkit-based Evolution 3.6 will be good. Otherwise we are doomed... Yeah and now we really need more stable Midori...
    Sorry Mozilla but this is last time I opened web page in your browser or used any of your products (after 6 years with you in both private and corporate class).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Aside from bandwidth reduction, uniformity, and archiving, what exactly is the point of email client programs? I personally find them a little annoying to deal with, especially if you use the same email address on more than one computer.
      I use currently 6 E-Mail Addresses with many Filters etc. Webmail is not an option. And using more as one computer is not an problem. Most E-Mail provider has imap support. And another advances is that i can search in all my mails on my local computer.

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
      Doesn't affect me. I've always been an Evolution user.
      Evolution has an horrible windows integration. My requirement for an new client is that the runs fine on Linux AND Windows.
      Last edited by Nille; 07 July 2012, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        I don't think you get what ffOS / B2G is...

FF OS is pure HTML5 and web stuff.
        Nonsense. The OS itself is obviously not pure HTML5, only the front-ends are. The lower functionality (kernel, libraries) can't even be pure HTML5.
        A mail client for FFOS obviously would need a new UI. That could be done in HTML5+JS. The lower libraries to access IMAP, POP3, and SMTP servers and such could be shared with desktop Thunderbird.

Comment

Ok, so Mozilla want to focus on Firefox and a Firefox OS. What would be cool is if they wrote a JavaScript/HTML5 email client to compete with the Gmail interface. They don't have to host it, just make it run cached in the browser as a web app. Then it could be used as email/news/social aggregator in their OS, merge it into the desktop browser, and have their branding in the face of millions of Gmail users if it's set up to display their client in the browser, connecting to Gmail via secure IMAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            I use currently 6 E-Mail Addresses with many Filters etc. Webmail is not an option. And using more as one computer is not an problem. Most E-Mail provider has imap support. And another advances is that i can search in all my mails on my local computer.
            Hm? I have two email addresses mapped to one GMail mailbox, and also a fair amount of filters. I don't see why it couldn't scale to 6; it should be able to do that with ease. And it allows you to search the mails on a remote server, so I don't see a whole lot of difference, except the hard drive space wasted for it.

Comment

Thunderbird is an excellent product, but it seems that since desktop e-mail can't have that many new buzzwords, it's not cool anymore.

Another awful loss for the free desktop. Whereas others will still have their desktop e-mail clients, linux desktop will lose its best one.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                Thunderbird is an excellent product, but it seems that since desktop e-mail can't have that many new buzzwords, it's not cool anymore.

Another awful loss for the free desktop. Whereas others will still have their desktop e-mail clients, linux desktop will lose its best one.
                It isn't losing it, but rather it sounds like development will slow. As far as other OS's go, their free email clients don't see too many updates either. If they do, it is rarely mentioned in product announcements.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Aside from bandwidth reduction, uniformity, and archiving, what exactly is the point of email client programs?
                  Managing multiple email accounts and contacts. It also used to be a convenient way to manage Usenet subscriptions (I don't know if it's still popular or not).

BTW, this was kind of expected considering that Thunderbird has remained practically the same for the last years and it seems very few were interested in improving it and solving some of its shortcomings.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyPaw View Post
                    It isn't losing it, but rather it sounds like development will slow. As far as other OS's go, their free email clients don't see too many updates either. If they do, it is rarely mentioned in product announcements.
                    One of the stupid things that the desktop people do is trying to reinvent the wheel wasting resources on duplicate projects. And we have evolution Kmail and whatever other pointless app while we have a product like Thunderbird which rules them all. The same on browsers and music players.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                      One of the stupid things that the desktop people do is trying to reinvent the wheel wasting resources on duplicate projects.
                      You can say that about pretty much any piece of software out there but it is nearly impossible to get all developers to agree on a unified solution as they all have their own agendas.

Comment

Working...
                      X