GRUB 2.00 Boot-Loader Release Is Imminent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Except that they still use it by default once you disable secure boot. And it's not UEFI, it's Secure Boot. There are plenty of UEFI boards right now, too.
    For non geeks it's quite a hassle since they don't even know what a BIOS is, not to mention that on some systems (at least ARM ones) you won't even be able to disable it, thanks to our friends from M$.

Comment

Secure boot is a bad feature because don t have a exception system .A security standard cannot do this.
      Even Browsers create exceptions when the site does not have a certificate.
      Microsoft is using to restrict everything.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        For non geeks it's quite a hassle since they don't even know what a BIOS is, not to mention that on some systems (at least ARM ones) you won't even be able to disable it, thanks to our friends from M$.
        Sure, but that in no way renders GRUB2 dead. Last time I checked, most Linux users were either tech savvy or corporations with paid support.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Sure, but that in no way renders GRUB2 dead. Last time I checked, most Linux users were either tech savvy or corporations with paid support.
          And Microsoft makes now with that and 1000 other small stiches shure that it stays that way... and even right now I think thats not really true... but on the other hand what is a tech savy, you could say that to anybody who still buys a pc instead of a konsole ^^.

you could say something like that about the microsoft ooxml too. you dont have to use it, you have a standard so you can force people to take it... because its (the) standard... forget about it, now nobody sends per email a odf file, even if you want that the other guy can edit it...

so when now microsoft signes his shit with very long time taking... you get new features or bugfixes very slow for this alternative bootloader... and even the resource wasted to create it again makes this guy not develop something other that could help linux... its no extremely big deal, right now... but think about it... what are the hyped pcs right now... yes tablets... what do they use arm cpus nearly exclusive... so this crap-secureshit sucks...

And amd thinks about building arm pcs and nvidia does... I saw from the data very impressive systems with arm cpus if that keeps going this way we could see in a few years a complete switch in private pcs to arm systems...

there was that notebook or netbook that worked 24hours and could play 1080p videos with gpu-encoding even that very long... so I dont like it because there are no 3d-drivers for this things or drivers that use this hardware-encoders I guess... so I dont want it to happen... but I think that that could kill x86 for the desktop/mobile... except for gaming and even there if you think about android... then you have this secure boot enabled and unable to shut it down in 99% of the pcs in the wild... that will be a fun...

Comment

Sure, but that really has nothing to do with the release of GRUB2.

Comment

Does it come with a graphical user interface so I don't have to gksu gedit /etc/default/grub and then sudo update-grub when I want to make Windows boot by default? Truly, I questioned their sanity when they went from one config file with fairly easy to understand syntax to two config files with shitty syntax that made adding an entry for an operating system twice as hard.

Comment

Thats not the way you make win default. You can simply change the os-prober entries before the linux ones. Works when you only have got 1 Linux and 1 Win install. Otherwise you could modifiy the os-prober script to hide possible extra partitions used for system restore (add a "| grep -v sdaX" at the correct position). Like
                Code:
                mv /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober /etc/grub.d/09_os-prober
                To hide a partition look for a line like this:
                Code:
                OSPROBED="`os-prober | tr ' ' '^' | paste -s -d ' '`"
                Change that to
                Code:
                OSPROBED="`os-prober | grep -v sdaX | tr ' ' '^' | paste -s -d ' '`"
                Thats all you need to know. No gui needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Thats not the way you make win default. You can simply change the os-prober entries before the linux ones. Works when you only have got 1 Linux and 1 Win install. Otherwise you could modifiy the os-prober script to hide possible extra partitions used for system restore (add a "| grep -v sdaX" at the correct position). Like
                  Code:
                  mv /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober /etc/grub.d/09_os-prober
                  To hide a partition look for a line like this:
                  Code:
                  OSPROBED="`os-prober | tr ' ' '^' | paste -s -d ' '`"
                  Change that to
                  Code:
                  OSPROBED="`os-prober | grep -v sdaX | tr ' ' '^' | paste -s -d ' '`"
                  Thats all you need to know. No gui needed.
                  Thanks, but that's more lines of code to type. I don't fully understand all of that, and I wouldn't be exactly sure of what I was doing. For instance, you say it is for one Linux and one Windows, but there's usually an entry for a memory test and a recovery mode. Would your changes deal with that?

The way I do it is to go into the etc/default/grub and change the default to 4 or whatever line the Windows install is on. Then sudo update-grub. Of course, should the kernel update, Ubuntu will add a new line for the new kernel and I have to go in and change it all again.

Comment

The memory test is there when you have got memtest86(+) installed, if you dont like it remove the package. The recovery entries you can get lost when you do:
                    Code:
                    perl -pi -e 's/.*(GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY)=.*/\1="true"/' /etc/default/grub
                    or use your favorite text editor. They are useless anyway, the same you get when you add "S" or "single" via the commandline interface.

Comment

Working...
                    X