Chrome 20 Takes Over Adobe Flash On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    What audio adapter do you use? Same or another?

My problem is with the internal audio, crappy sound, impossible to listen :/

Comment

Access webcam without flash!

I'm a web developer(/browser nerd) and what's exciting for me in this release is the better/correct implementation of getUserMedia(). getUserMedia gives you access to the webcam and microphone without flash!

I've being playing with this for a little while and it's so darn cool. Unfortunately it's not enabled by default. Head to chrome://flags and enable 'Media Source API on <video> elements' and 'MediaStream' (PeerConnection is also hot).

So I banged out a little site which detects if the browser support getUserMedia() and allows you to snap a photo.

Opera 12 is the first GA browser with getUserMedia enabled by default. Chrome *may* have it in 21. Firefox doesn't have any support at the moment, but a recent code push suggests it might be available round the release of Firefox 16/17

Die flash die!

Comment

Originally posted by m_gol View Post
        Are you sure? It seems absurd.
        If you use Chromium, you will receive an error message on HTML5 videos on YouTube. The message reads "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available." If you try the same thing with the Google Chrome browser, it will work just fine. This is because of the patent-encumbered h.264 codec.

You can in theory grab the codecs for it though:
        Forum discussion: If you use Chromium, you will receive an error message on HTML5 videos on YouTube. The message reads &quote;Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available.&quote; If you try the same

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
          If you use Chromium, you will receive an error message on HTML5 videos on YouTube. The message reads "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available." If you try the same thing with the Google Chrome browser, it will work just fine. This is because of the patent-encumbered h.264 codec.

You can in theory grab the codecs for it though:
          http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r239...-worked-for-me
          You wrote it doesn't support WebM, not H264.

Comment

You wrote it doesn't support WebM, not H264.
            It does not support HTML5 in YouTube, whether it be WebM or H264.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              If that is so, they failed horribly. If the content with advertisements was in WebM format, then I would be content with watching it, and so I would see the ads. But since it's in Flash, I can't watch it (it crashes every 5 minutes or so) - therefore I am forced to use something else, like VLC, to watch it, and guess what, it doesn't display the ads!
              Oh, come on, how many people have a Flash plugin that "crashes every 5 minutes or so" and use VLC to watch videos they previously download?

For me, for example, Flash doesn't "crashes every 5 minutes or so" and I watch a lot of videos with ada on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                It does not support HTML5 in YouTube, whether it be WebM or H264.
                That's weird, Firefox works fine for WebM YouTube videos.

Comment

We all agree that flash sucks, we all are better with html5, but sometimes it's not an option. So, how does it work for you?
                  Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
                  Just tried it... i don't know if i'm doing something wrong, but now i'm unable to use gpu to decode the streams (mms.cfg is properly configured) and when i open it in fullscreen i just see the left half of the video... on my right head (dual head setup).
                  All used to work fine with flashplugin 10.3.183.10, now it is a mess with 11.3.31.208 on this Nvidia 9600GT.

Great, let's back to firefox with the old flashplugin and flashvideoreplacer with vlc plugin.
                  I got the same with simmilar setup - nvidia card and twin view.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveoc64 View Post
                    The reason that plugins like Flash and Silverlight are still being used is that the content producers don't want their content in the totally unprotected forms that HTML5 video offers.

Until you can find a way to solve that (and such a feat is inherently impossible), you won't see major content moving away from Flash/Silverlight.

All of the stuff on YouTube that is Flash-only either has ads or is "protected" content.

Other types of content like games pick Flash because it's very mature. The APIs that Flash supports in every browser from IE8 on Windows XP to Firefox on Mac OS X are (currently) more capable and stable than anything that the "HTML5 umbrella" (HTML5, CSS3, Canvas, SVG) can offer.

Given:

-The explosion in how much video people watch online
                    -The rise of casual web games (particularly on Facebook)

The demise of plugins like Flash is greatly exaggerated.
                    The number one reason why web developers uses Flash or Silverlight is these two API are easier for artists to use as their own brushes to make artwork. A lot of artists do not think that the elements they use in their artwork should be position and always position from left to right. Artists think all over the place. Flash and Silverlight makes it easier to do this. HTML, Javascript, and CSS is not artists cup of tea, so that is when Flash and Silverlight comes in. Until HTML 5 has tools that relate well for artists, artists will not use HTML 5 for their artwork. Adding protection mechanics to HTML 5 will be easy, but providing tools for artists to use to design in HTML 5 will not. The main problem delivering video using HTML 5 is there is no company that is willing to use just one format. Too many companies have their own video format that they want HTML 5 to support. For HTML 5 to deliver video, there have to be one set standard video codec. There are too many selfish companies, so HTML 5 is halted.

Comment

Oh, come on, how many people have a Flash plugin that "crashes every 5 minutes or so" and use VLC to watch videos they previously download?

For me, for example, Flash doesn't "crashes every 5 minutes or so" and I watch a lot of videos with ada on YouTube.
                      Uh huh. And you wouldn't see advertisements on HTML5 videos how?

Comment

Working...
                      X