Chrome 20 Takes Over Adobe Flash On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aliasbody View Post
    This is why I said that it is the job of the developpers. In this case, it is a job for Google, to stop supporting h.264 and start support webm and ogg.
    I have been using mostly Webm on Youtube for a while now.

Also when I download files from youtube using 'clive -f best' they area almost always webm formats.

Comment

If they want to support h.264 on their browser, why not since a lot of website use it (Vimeo for example as you remembered right), but it is an Insane idea to support it on Youtube....
      It wouldn't help to stop using HTML5-encoded H264 video on YouTube. Non-WebM-capable browsers would just get Flash video... encoded in H264. I prefer the former.

Comment

Yea, I don't get the whole no-WebM-for-monetized-videos approach that Google has... The only thing that it serves to do is force Flash on people. Advertisements could be shown just as well on WebM videos - heck, it would even benefit them, as with VLC and such you can just avoid viewing advertisements to begin with!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Yea, I don't get the whole no-WebM-for-monetized-videos approach that Google has... The only thing that it serves to do is force Flash on people. Advertisements could be shown just as well on WebM videos - heck, it would even benefit them, as with VLC and such you can just avoid viewing advertisements to begin with!
          The point is, obviously, to not be able to avoid ads.

Comment

Google can do HTML5 with youtube, but even that they do bad. Just try to watch a movie in 1080p with Flash on Youtube (if your hardware support it), then try the same thing with the same video on HTML5 mode (if you subscribed on it)... And see the difference, HTML5 will be much but much slower than flash (even without the Hardware Acceleration from flash)
            Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            HTML5 video is a new technology.
            I expect HTML5 video performance to improve over time.
            HTML5 video playback quality depend on two things:
            Accelerated rendering. Already available in Chromium/Chrome and will be available in Firefox.
            Accelerated deconding. In Firefox for H.264 it may become available if GStreamer support in desktop version of Firefox will be enabled by default. VP8 hardware decoding doesn't available in drivers at this moment, so it's not available in GStreamer too.

Comment

For Firefox, WebRTC will eventually replace Flash for live and uploaded streaming video

For situations that require Flash, Shumway is expected to be a Flash virtual machine implemented through Javascript.

Comment

Personally my 2 big problems with Firefox are :
                1 - The syncronization (It is simply a mess... you have to store the key somewhere to simply not loose it, and If you loose that key you have to reset and key and by consequence reset all firefox have syncronized until that moment...)
                You can authorize a new device from an existing setup without entering the encryption key (that was the old procedure, superseded 1 year ago or so):
                Use a Mozilla account to sync your bookmarks, history, passwords, add-ons and open tabs with another device, profile or version of Firefox.

Comment

Seems to work fine for me. It does report two flash binaries in aboutlugins:

Flash (2 files) - Version: 11.3.31.109
                  Shockwave Flash 11.3 r31
                  Name: Shockwave Flash
                  Description: Shockwave Flash 11.3 r31
                  Version: 11.3.31.109
                  Location: /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so
                  Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)
                  Disable
                  MIME types:
                  MIME type Description File extensions
                  application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash
                  .swf
                  application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player
                  .spl
                  Name: Shockwave Flash
                  Version: 11.2 r202
                  Type: NPAPI
                  Disable
                  MIME types:
                  MIME type Description File extensions
                  application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash
                  .swf
                  application/futuresplash

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                    How about we don't Implement PPAPI and instead put a bullet in Flash's head?
                    This. Flash goes against every thing that makes the internet great.

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                    That would mean we block out basically 50% (estimated, I think no one knows concrete numbers) of the web content
                    I run with out flash support so I know what is and isn't flash and your number is ridiculously high. Unless your only counting advertising that is.

Comment

Well, after newest FF version (13) the browser became unusable for me. Freezes, screen corruption and such, so I've decided to give Chrome a try and it's not so bad. Time tells if I'll stick with it or go back to FF (using it since early 0.x versions )

Comment

Working...
                      X