No announcement yet.

RIFS-ES Linux Kernel Scheduler Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah. Lol. NTFS. That is crap too. And it`s cpu scheduling is really bad. It is extremely sensitive to jitter. And it installs drivers for ram handling, which you can turn off. (why is it there?) Because the cpu-scheduler is so sensitive to jitter, you should turn off everything you can. That is over 200 things. Which they sell. Which the OS is better without. Ofcourse on Linux, cpu-scheduling is much better, and running the daemons that Ubuntu has, will not make much difference. There is a small difference for perfectionists, though, which might prefer stuff like Tiny Core Linux. But that might also be mitigated with proper use of priorities, or atleast a patch on the scheduler.

And you will not believe how much reducing jitter on windows, improves it. It is like half life 2, goes from quite choppy, to perfectly smooth. When you have been there you know also that windows can do something decently. But you will also need to tweak intensely Also bugs in the scheduler hindering performance on dualcore or more, if priorities of all processes are not at idle. And it has been there for AGES. (Very known windows-stalls that occur if one cpu is overloaded, goes away with "idle" priority.)

It`s not just that their scheduler is poor, but they bloat it out with uneccesary processes, and false errormsgs (you cannot kill this process etc.) And they lack the mind to understand it. I mean shit policies was a part of microsoft even since CP/M. Which became MSDOS. And CP/M is shit, and they sold that too. So then you know who MS is.

People who sell garbage and lack the mind to do anything else. Teaching people their stupid menus, without any knowledge of what is underneath.

Peace Be With You.

edit: And by the way, try to call MS to inform them of their bug. It`s like a call to the US, a secretary you can barely hear, needs to "establish identify" or something like that. 10m into the conversation, without any engineer online it`s like "can you spell your first name please" "I cannot hear you please". I mean that is a f*king joke.

Peace Be With You.

edit2: I mentioned something on LKML, and there was a patch 2-3 days later

Peace Be With You.
    Last edited by Paradox Ethereal; 11 October 2012, 04:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
      Yeah. Lol. NTFS. That is crap too. And it`s cpu scheduling is really bad. It is extremely sensitive to jitter. And it installs drivers for ram handling, which you can turn off. (why is it there?) Because the cpu-scheduler is so sensitive to jitter, you should turn off everything you can. That is over 200 things. Which they sell. Which the OS is better without. Ofcourse on Linux, cpu-scheduling is much better, and running the daemons that Ubuntu has, will not make much difference. There is a small difference for perfectionists, though, which might prefer stuff like Tiny Core Linux. But that might also be mitigated with proper use of priorities, or atleast a patch on the scheduler.

And you will not believe how much reducing jitter on windows, improves it. It is like half life 2, goes from quite choppy, to perfectly smooth. When you have been there you know also that windows can do something decently. But you will also need to tweak intensely Also bugs in the scheduler hindering performance on dualcore or more, if priorities of all processes are not at idle. And it has been there for AGES. (Very known windows-stalls that occur if one cpu is overloaded, goes away with "idle" priority.)

It`s not just that their scheduler is poor, but they bloat it out with uneccesary processes, and false errormsgs (you cannot kill this process etc.) And they lack the mind to understand it. I mean shit policies was a part of microsoft even since CP/M. Which became MSDOS. And CP/M is shit, and they sold that too. So then you know who MS is.

People who sell garbage and lack the mind to do anything else. Teaching people their stupid menus, without any knowledge of what is underneath.

Peace Be With You.

edit: And by the way, try to call MS to inform them of their bug. It`s like a call to the US, a secretary you can barely hear, needs to "establish identify" or something like that. 10m into the conversation, without any engineer online it`s like "can you spell your first name please" "I cannot hear you please". I mean that is a f*king joke.

Peace Be With You.

edit2: I mentioned something on LKML, and there was a patch 2-3 days later

Peace Be With You.
      Windows scheduler tries to learn things from Unix scheduler, but it doesn't learn anything. For NTFS, I can say that this crappy is shit. I format my whole harddisk with EXT4. EXT4 is extremely fast(The fastest FS I have ever tried.) When the data is not continguous, NTFS sucks( 4MB/s ). With EXT4 there won't be large performance drop.(With EXT2 there is even no performance drop). Even with mainline kernel, the user-experience is better than Windows(But the system is choppy when I am compiling.)

Comment

• I will admit the XP scheduler was crap, but then again, XP came out back in 2001. And it grew a ton over its lifespan (XP SP2 should be qualified as its own OS).

Vista/7's scheduler is MUCH better in comparison.

Comment

• My kernel isn`t that choppy. Well it is a little, but then you want some compilation to happen too.

Well if you`re running Ubuntu that is. Not everyone is doing that ofcourse.

AFAIK later OS`s than XP has more latency, more jitter. So atleast in XP, you can have smooth framerates if you do some intense tweaking. http://paradoxuncreated.com/Blog/wordpress/?p=1783
          This gives 5uS DPC latency on my big box. 1500uS DPC on my mac mini, but still smooth. But 1ms latency audio, only on big box.

Peace Be With You.

Comment

• The post is good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
              AFAIK later OS`s than XP has more latency, more jitter. So atleast in XP, you can have smooth framerates if you do some intense tweaking. http://paradoxuncreated.com/Blog/wordpress/?p=1783
              This gives 5uS DPC latency on my big box. 1500uS DPC on my mac mini, but still smooth. But 1ms latency audio, only on big box.

Peace Be With You.
              Going to disagree with you. And I again note that latency != performance.

Comment

• Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                msvc60 isn't a IDE, it is a library.
                What IDE is more intuitive?
                Visual Studio hands down beats everything.
                Eclipse, NetBeans, etc cant measure up to Visual Studio.

Yeah you can load/unload kernel modules with modprobe, but that doesn't matter, you still cant reload the graphics driver without reload X.org.

If you use software on Linux that isn't supported anymore, then you're still stuck with Linux 2.4 and old drivers from 1998.

With Windows XP at least you use the latest GeForce drivers from 2012 despite it being from 2001. You can't do that with Linux.

DirectX is a whole stack solution that covers all your needs with great documentation and support. It is easy to learn and you can develop using one coherent API instead learning and using a dozen incoherent ones.

The drivers suck too. Most audio drivers implement only the bare minimum needed for playback, none of the advanced features are supported.
                Visual studio is rather uninteresting if you aren't happy limiting yourself to developing on the worst desktop os and targeting one desktop/console platform and a mobile platform that nobody cares about. For a good ide that isn't so limited see intellij idea for a simpler non heavyweight solution please see gvim or sublime text 2.

direct x is supposed to be easy to use but it's only a complete solution if you are happy to only target ms platforms. The smart solution would be not to leave money on the table and choose to be as portable as possible from the start.

Somewhere in some big company's basement is a computer running kernel 2.4 because they forgot it exists. Everyone else has upgraded. People still run xp because windows costs money, their computer isn't good enough or they hate something about new versions of Windows.

Linux is free, can be configured for low spec machines and can be customized to your liking. The issues mentioned above just don't exist in Linux.

Comment

• i read coherent api on windows.... i felt from my chair. this can only say somebody that only looked very superficially upon windows/MS apis. if it wasn't paid so well i would have never ever used them again.

Comment

• Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                    Vista/7's scheduler is MUCH better in comparison.
                    System still throws the VM at Swap when idle for too long, resulting in the machine being locked until its done rereading the swap file for several times. Its still crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by michael rose View Post
                      Visual studio is rather uninteresting if you aren't happy limiting yourself to developing on the worst desktop os and targeting one desktop/console platform and a mobile platform that nobody cares about. For a good ide that isn't so limited see intellij idea for a simpler non heavyweight solution please see gvim or sublime text 2.
                      gvim and SublimeText might be good for scripting small stuff like scripts.
                      But its not anything that can be compared to Visual Studio.
                      Visual Studio is hands down the best IDE available on any platform ever!

Worst desktop OS?
                      You're a Linux fanboy.
                      Windows is in no way the worst desktop OS.

I use Linux at home and Windows at work. There are things that Linux is better at, then there are things Windows are better at. Then there are systems that are better than both Windows and Linux at some stuff.

Originally posted by michael rose View Post
                      direct x is supposed to be easy to use but it's only a complete solution if you are happy to only target ms platforms. The smart solution would be not to leave money on the table and choose to be as portable as possible from the start.
                      Only targeting Microsoft platforms means targeting most users anyways since most users run on Microsoft platforms so if you miss out on Mac or Linux users, then you're not losing out on much anyway. Not to mention there is a strong sentiment among Linux users not to pay for software.

If you have a choice of a complete solution that targets most users or use OpenGL together with bunch of other random libraries to get a stack to target all platforms then most business would go for the DirectX approach which has better documentation, commercial support, and faster development time.

Somewhere in some big company's basement is a computer running kernel 2.4 because they forgot it exists. Everyone else has upgraded. People still run xp because windows costs money, their computer isn't good enough or they hate something about new versions of Windows.
                      Many people still run XP because they don't care to upgrade. Maybe nerds care about having the latest software, but normal people don't.

Linux is free, can be configured for low spec machines and can be customized to your liking. The issues mentioned above just don't exist in Linux.
                      When you refer to free here, do you refer to money or freedom?
                      Either case, many people don't care.
                      If you refer to price, then Windows is dead cheap, it doesn't cost much.

Windows can be customized more than most people would care to customize too.
                      If you want to run Linux on a low-spec machines it means running with some light desktop environment that only appeals to geeks. For normal desktop usage, Linux requires modern hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X