• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    update:

OMG - thank you so much Chen !

you're da man

kudos to you and Con

in the past there have always been issues when using ZFS + 2 audio streams or other stuff (e.g. scrolling in the web and entering text)

the result was that the computer effectively wasn't usable for anything else than running the backup job of ZFS and playing one audio track with hickups from time to time

currently I'm running geek-sources 3.4.2 with ck-patchset ck2 for 3.4 kernel

BFS 423 patched to 424 (is supposed to fix some i/o interactivity issues) and added your O(1) tweaks

this is the best desktop kernel by far - since EVER

having the data integrity features ZFS available and at the same time fully smooth desktop experience is full win-win in my books

thanks again !

now we only need to convince Con to include those (and/or additional upcoming) tweaks from you into BFS

best of course would be to add BFS to mainline as an option to select for desktop users ...

edit:

ok, there's still the issue that HD videos (720p+) act slightly jerky but the sound in 99% is consistent

so ZFSonLinux still needs some tweaking until it is fully suited for desktop/multimedia usage

can't believe how much the CPU scheduler alone makes a difference in those things

I'm using some additional CFQ tweaks - they also might help:

source: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...system-caching
    BFS won't be adopted because Con is having argument with the mainline developer. Also, I have found a designing problem that BFS has, is the starvation of sleep task. They can't be scheduled as fair as the cpu-intensive task and as you said, will cause hickup. For example there are 6 task running and there nice value is 0. Five of them are while1 and the remain one is X. All of them should get 16.666% of cpu time. In fact X cannot get 16.666% of cpu time correctly.
    Chen
    Last edited by 3766691; 12 July 2012, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I'm confused. Now we have RIFS, a patch for BFS and DMS?
      What to use? And where to download (at best for the 3.5 kernel)?

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
        I'm confused. Now we have RIFS, a patch for BFS and DMS?
        What to use? And where to download (at best for the 3.5 kernel)?
        DMS has been dropped.

RIFS for 3.4 kernel: https://rifs-scheduler.googlecode.co...x2-kernel3.4.x
        BFS(O(1) time complexity patch) for 3.4 kernel: https://rifs-scheduler.googlecode.com/files/bfs.c

Comment

I don't want to rush anything, but any chance we will see a patch for 3.5.x soon?

Comment

Originally posted by brenix View Post
            I don't want to rush anything, but any chance we will see a patch for 3.5.x soon?
            Sorry I have been late.

Here is the RIFS offical patch for 3.5.x kernel: http://rifs-scheduler.googlecode.com...fs-kernel3.5.x
            No any changes have been made. The tweaks of the scheduler can be found at '/proc/sys/sched_rifs'.

Also I have rewritten several part of RIFS-ES scheduler. Many people reported that RIFS-ES scheduler can cause some strange behavior e.g. strange CPU load(Reported by ID:KernelOfTruth on Phoronix). The original RIFS-ES scheduler count the tick directly(p->tick_used++). Many people knows that tickless system(dynamic tick) tune the frequency of clock dynamicly. Sorry for making such kind of unacceptable mistake.
            Here is the link for RIFS-ES patch for 3.5 kernel: http://rifs-scheduler.googlecode.com...es-kernel3.5.x

Chen

Comment

Originally posted by 3766691 View Post
              Sorry I have been late.

Here is the RIFS offical patch for 3.5.x kernel: http://rifs-scheduler.googlecode.com...fs-kernel3.5.x
              No any changes have been made. The tweaks of the scheduler can be found at '/proc/sys/sched_rifs'.

Also I have rewritten several part of RIFS-ES scheduler. Many people reported that RIFS-ES scheduler can cause some strange behavior e.g. strange CPU load(Reported by ID:KernelOfTruth on Phoronix). The original RIFS-ES scheduler count the tick directly(p->tick_used++). Many people knows that tickless system(dynamic tick) tune the frequency of clock dynamicly. Sorry for making such kind of unacceptable mistake.
              Here is the link for RIFS-ES patch for 3.5 kernel: http://rifs-scheduler.googlecode.com...es-kernel3.5.x

Chen

no problem - life goes first

I was busy, too with other things and 3.4 + RIFS worked great so far

currently I'm running 3.5 kernel with rifs-kernel3.5.x and it booted up fine

great work - thanks !

there meanwhile where some improvements in ZFS, too - so with RIFS, some i/o scheduler it should be possible to have real multitasking during large data transfers running with ZFS

finally ! data consistency and safety + great performance

will test it during the next days and see how it goes ...

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                no problem - life goes first

I was busy, too with other things and 3.4 + RIFS worked great so far

currently I'm running 3.5 kernel with rifs-kernel3.5.x and it booted up fine

great work - thanks !

there meanwhile where some improvements in ZFS, too - so with RIFS, some i/o scheduler it should be possible to have real multitasking during large data transfers running with ZFS

finally ! data consistency and safety + great performance

will test it during the next days and see how it goes ...
                Ok. Now I am running all my boxes with RIFS-ES(I mean this new version). Normally both of them perform well. RIFS-ES performs a bit better than RIFS on music playing.

Comment

with
                  CONFIG_NUMA=y
                  CONFIG_AMD_NUMA=y
                  CONFIG_X86_64_ACPI_NUMA=y
                  CONFIG_NODES_SPAN_OTHER_NODES=y
                  # CONFIG_NUMA_EMU is not set
                  CONFIG_NODES_SHIFT=9

i get
                  kernel/sched/rifs.c: In function ?sd_init_ALLNODES?:
                  kernel/sched/rifs.c:5621:470: error: ?SD_ALLNODES_INIT? undeclared (first use in this function)
                  kernel/sched/rifs.c:5621:470: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
                  kernel/sched/rifs.c: In function ?sd_init_NODE?:
                  kernel/sched/rifs.c:5622:466: error: ?SD_NODE_INIT? undeclared (first use in this function)
                  make[3]: *** [kernel/sched/rifs.o] Fehler 1
                  make[2]: *** [kernel/sched] Fehler 2
                  make[1]: *** [kernel] Fehler 2

with "# CONFIG_NUMA is not set", the kernel compile without errors, please fix it

Debian SID 64bit
                  Vanilla Kernel 3.5 with rifs-es-kernel3.5.x or rifs-kernel3.5.x, no other patches

Comment

Originally posted by bug! View Post
                    with
                    CONFIG_NUMA=y
                    CONFIG_AMD_NUMA=y
                    CONFIG_X86_64_ACPI_NUMA=y
                    CONFIG_NODES_SPAN_OTHER_NODES=y
                    # CONFIG_NUMA_EMU is not set
                    CONFIG_NODES_SHIFT=9

i get
                    kernel/sched/rifs.c: In function ‘sd_init_ALLNODES’:
                    kernel/sched/rifs.c:5621:470: error: ‘SD_ALLNODES_INIT’ undeclared (first use in this function)
                    kernel/sched/rifs.c:5621:470: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
                    kernel/sched/rifs.c: In function ‘sd_init_NODE’:
                    kernel/sched/rifs.c:5622:466: error: ‘SD_NODE_INIT’ undeclared (first use in this function)
                    make[3]: *** [kernel/sched/rifs.o] Fehler 1
                    make[2]: *** [kernel/sched] Fehler 2
                    make[1]: *** [kernel] Fehler 2

with "# CONFIG_NUMA is not set", the kernel compile without errors, please fix it

Debian SID 64bit
                    Vanilla Kernel 3.5 with rifs-es-kernel3.5.x or rifs-kernel3.5.x, no other patches
                    Ok. I will fix it tomorrow because I am really sleepy now.
                    The mainline kernel has already deprecated sd_init_ALLNODES and I had not notice this change.
                    Last edited by 3766691; 09 August 2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

with
                      rifs-kernel3.5.x RIFS-SCHEDULER-3.5.x Offical 7 hours ago 7 hours ago 179 KB 6

kernel/exit.c: In function ?__exit_signal?:
                      kernel/exit.c:148:32: error: ?struct task_struct? has no member named ?se?
                      make[2]: *** [kernel/exit.o] Error 1
                      make[1]: *** [kernel] Error 2

Comment

Working...
                      X