No announcement yet.

RIFS-ES Linux Kernel Scheduler Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have msvc60 here. And also some later express ide`s. Once you got them running, they are ok, but I have seen more intuitive ide`s.

You can load and unload module drivers with modprobe. And if you are stuck on windows XP, because your software isn`t supported more, and it isn`t opensource, you have to use XP, with drivers from 2001. HAHAHA. The whole drivermess on windows, downloading installing, versions etc is not on linux.

And direct3d was never better than OpenGL. As for directx, or asio on windows, I can do lower latencies on Linux.

Maybe a point in that some subsystems of linux, aren`t that welldeveloped yet. Particulary if you do professional audio, jack and ladspa and similar stuff could be better intergrated, or replaced system wide with better solutions.

But that`s about it I think.

Peace Be With You.

Comment

• OSX

And ofcourse OSX has the most professional audio and video software which runs well on it. (Also 1ms latency there, but without tweaking) Not so good on games though.

Peace Be With You.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
        I have msvc60 here. And also some later express ide`s. Once you got them running, they are ok, but I have seen more intuitive ide`s.
        msvc60 isn't a IDE, it is a library.
        What IDE is more intuitive?
        Visual Studio hands down beats everything.
        Eclipse, NetBeans, etc cant measure up to Visual Studio.

Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
        You can load and unload module drivers with modprobe. And if you are stuck on windows XP, because your software isn`t supported more, and it isn`t opensource, you have to use XP, with drivers from 2001. HAHAHA. The whole drivermess on windows, downloading installing, versions etc is not on linux.
        Yeah you can load/unload kernel modules with modprobe, but that doesn't matter, you still cant reload the graphics driver without reload X.org.

If you use software on Linux that isn't supported anymore, then you're still stuck with Linux 2.4 and old drivers from 1998.

With Windows XP at least you use the latest GeForce drivers from 2012 despite it being from 2001. You can't do that with Linux.

And direct3d was never better than OpenGL. As for directx, or asio on windows, I can do lower latencies on Linux.
        DirectX is a whole stack solution that covers all your needs with great documentation and support. It is easy to learn and you can develop using one coherent API instead learning and using a dozen incoherent ones.

Maybe a point in that some subsystems of linux, aren`t that welldeveloped yet. Particulary if you do professional audio, jack and ladspa and similar stuff could be better intergrated, or replaced system wide with better solutions.
        The drivers suck too. Most audio drivers implement only the bare minimum needed for playback, none of the advanced features are supported.

Comment

• msvc60 = Microsoft Visual C 6.0. An old version of microsofts IDE.
          Actually for more intuitive IDEs I think you have to go back to amiga days.
          As for IDE`s on linux, I have never used one. Gedit has suited me fine so far.

But you know, I have no interest in this discussion. Advanced computers users will always prefer linux.
          You go with your windows.

Peace Be With You.

Comment

msvc60 = Microsoft Visual C 6.0. An old version of microsofts IDE.
            Actually for more intuitive IDEs I think you have to go back to amiga days.
            As for IDE`s on linux, I have never used one. Gedit has suited me fine so far.

But you know, I have no interest in this discussion. Advanced computers users will always prefer linux.
            You go with your windows.

Peace Be With You.
            I don't even use Windows.
            I use Linux. I prefer Linux and like it better.
            But you come around spitting shit that Windows sucks, when in fact it is a decent operating system that in some ways is better than Linux (and in some ways worse).

Comment

I have msvc60 here. And also some later express ide`s. Once you got them running, they are ok, but I have seen more intuitive ide`s.
              MSVC 6.0 is ancient by today's standards. Nothing comes close to Visual Studio. Even most Linux guys would admit that much.

XP is still supported by 99.99% of all SW programs out there. Its not like the underlying OS has changed that much. Now, if developers choose to use Vista/7 only API calls, thats their business decision to make.

1: D3D is easier to code with by a long shot.
              2: ASIO is perfectly capable of <1ms latencies.
              3: Latencies don't matter if you sacrifice throughput.

Comment

• Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I don't even use Windows.
                I use Linux. I prefer Linux and like it better.
                But you come around spitting shit that Windows sucks, when in fact it is a decent operating system that in some ways is better than Linux (and in some ways worse).
                Spitting shit that windows sucks. Yeah, that language probably goes along with thinking windows is "decent".

Why you choose to argue with me, is another issue you have too apparently. I have far superior knowledge, and consider you extremely ignorant. And ofcourse only the ignorant would defend windows, and think they could somehow refute what I say.

Now f*ck off.

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLUSwac0kc

I actually made that myself.

Peace Be With You. /idiots ignored.

Comment

Rifs seem to need hotpluggable cpus. For audio it is worse than regular scheduler. Needs more than 2ms latency here. Regular kernel does 1ms. BFS has overall a bit lower latencies, but stable audio streams is about 1ms there too. (click-free, and less jitter on lower latencies. 0.3ms almost doable on onboard audiocard, without RT-threads.) I also have done 0.3ms latency on firewire audiocard, with RT-threads, on regular kernel.

Peace Be With You.
                    RIFS prefer interactivity more than throughput. The problem you have mention is not only related to latency, it is also related to throughput. When you play an MP3 file, the player has to do a lot of stuff work e.g decoding & decompressing. RIFS tries to lower the latency on average user experience. So the benchmark has only done part of the view.

Comment

• "interactivity vs throughput" does that mean you can compile the kernel, while doing something else? Because that seems to be the only thing it means in CFS.
                      Doom3 performance actually goes up, and jitter levels down, with serverstyle "granularity".
                      Which would indicate good performance on a desktop. (But compiling kernels will make system choppy.)

One thing I really like about CFS is that it does code to always remain interactive.

Rifs seems like early development to me.

Peace Be With You.

Comment

Working...
                      X