Fedora Discussion: "ARM Is A Dead End"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    You can already buy a tablet and attach an external keyboard.
    Horrible usability that way, both due to separate keyboard (usually even bluetooth, so sucking batteries) and due to Android. Before you say Vivaldi, I wouldn't really want a tablet in general.

The problem with a 32-core ARM laptop is that nothing on the desktop uses 32-cores, and each one individually is way too slow.
    From my POV, almost everything does. 90% of time I have a browser open; that's threaded / runs multiple processes. Gimp - runs OpenCL now. Deving - yup. Mplayer - yup.

Yikes, now that I think about it, I have a hard time finding anything I use often that's single-threaded. Even my email client is multithreaded.

Comment

I'm highly skeptical of any attempt to make an ARM chip competitive with Intel on the desktop. Intel's manufacturing capabilities give it a large advantage over everyone else, and the ARM companies have no experience building those kinds of chips.

Where they can succeed is in the server space, where efficiency and power usage are important, and they can easily scale to many cores to provide performance.
      Maybe ARM could work really well on a nettop.
      It doesn't need high-performance, it just needs to be low-power while strong enough to run a web browser.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Horrible usability that way, both due to separate keyboard (usually even bluetooth, so sucking batteries) and due to Android. Before you say Vivaldi, I wouldn't really want a tablet in general.

From my POV, almost everything does. 90% of time I have a browser open; that's threaded / runs multiple processes. Gimp - runs OpenCL now. Deving - yup. Mplayer - yup.

Yikes, now that I think about it, I have a hard time finding anything I use often that's single-threaded. Even my email client is multithreaded.
        Cool story, bro.

I'm sure a few people out there could use an ARM laptop, especially if it's marketed as a nettop super-cheap laptop.

I just don't think Intel is losing any sleep over it.

Comment

I'm sure a few people out there could use an ARM laptop, especially if it's marketed as a nettop super-cheap laptop.

Intel really is concerned by smartphones and tablets canibalizing laptops, most consumers don't need a laptop.

According to a friend working there, they didn't see it coming and had to change many things to start getting a foot in that market (why do you think the previous head of mobile computing, Anand Chandrasekher, "left" the company a few months ago?). So Intel won't disappear, but they surely are not sleeping that well.

Comment

Cool story, bro.

I didn't claim it to be for everyone; I said it would work great for me, listing the things I use the most.

Maybe you should do such a list too, and then start fixing the highest priority ones that don't scale. Then you too can move to low powered, highly threaded cpus in the future

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
              Intel really is concerned by smartphones and tablets canibalizing laptops, most consumers don't need a laptop.

According to a friend working there, they didn't see it coming and had to change many things to start getting a foot in that market (why do you think the previous head of mobile computing, Anand Chandrasekher, "left" the company a few months ago?). So Intel won't disappear, but they surely are not sleeping that well.
              True enough, and notice that I never said otherwise. I said ARM wasn't a threat on the DESKTOP.

Intel is already taking steps to get into the smartphone/tablet market, precisely because they are cannibalizing laptops. ARM is obviously a big time player there.

Comment

If ARM kill x86

Lets imagine that ARM kills x86.

Intel can still get an ARM license, and they have the world's most advanced semiconductor technology. Years ahead of everyone else. They could be be the #1 ARM manufacturer in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Before you say Vivaldi, I wouldn't really want a tablet in general.
                  Don't you have couches?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Lets imagine that ARM kills x86.

Intel can still get an ARM license, and they have the world's most advanced semiconductor technology. Years ahead of everyone else. They could be be the #1 ARM manufacturer in the world.
                    They already have licenses for some ARM cores. They even used ARM11MP in a recent network processor and that was in 22nm FinFET.

@smitty3268: Isn't the desktop already dying on the consumer market?

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
                      @smitty3268: Isn't the desktop already dying on the consumer market?
                      No. Perhaps it's slowing down slightly, but it's not dying. It's just now a mature market while the hot new thing everyone is talking about (mobile) is growing.

Comment

Working...
                      X