• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hirager
    replied
    Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
    That's the response to everything...
    I said that a guy chose to make a protocol for video/audio calling and the response was something like this "Another video/audio protocol sounds quite useless to me. No one needs that. Instead, as suggested before, a CLIENT for the voice libs, xmpp libs SIP libs would be much more needed.".
    I said that I could make a Client for voice libs, for example based on XMPP and here it is your response.

I searched 2 weeks for projects to make, there is nothing I could invent new without access to hardware or relations with big companies.
    I had a few great ideas but without a lab and a big team of developers and mathematicians is not possible.
    Theoretically every one(students) in my University at this stage should have 2 years of programming experience, the projects are for 1 person, what do you expect a student without access to hardware, lab, big team and time, to invent?
    A lot of students picked projects I was doing in 1-2 weeks 3 years ago when I was in College.
    I love to be challenged with hard problems but there was no option for me without the resources listed above...
    So I started to search how I can help Open Source world, found this problem on Linux Foundation's high priority list...
    Took a look at the current options and those are just plain useless. If you want the IM to be successful you have to make sure it has Audio/Video capabilities and can be used on as much platforms. Current Open Source alternatives start just now to introduce normal Audio/Video support and it's just for Desktops, for mobiles the implementation allows you just to write text... Sure everyone in this case will choose Skype instead.

Another option for me was to implement another Linux Foundations High Priority project where I had to use Speech Recognition technology, for the basic implementation I could of came with the result in less than 1 week(only for English language with a vocabulary of 60k words) but as much as I would of tried to make it work well it would of never worked well(taking from the experience that Microsoft and Google has with this technology). My coordinator didn't want me to take this one...
    Could you hook up into the Telepathy framework, please? I am not even sure what it exactly does, but I would love to see your work integrate with existing programs which utilize Telepathy. Thank you for your wise decision to help the Free Software.

Leave a comment:

• Alliancemd
    replied
    Re

Originally posted by hernil View Post
    I'm no expert in any way compared to a lot of you guys here, but I must say I don't really see the point in this. If your plan to do something for a bachelor, which is a limited time span, creating an IM client doesn't seem like the best option. Even if you make something that is up to par with todays alternatives, it won't take long after your time window closes before your application is no longer developped and becomes irrelevant. If IM is the way you want to go, at the very least work on improving something that will continue on even without you.

As to answer the actual question posed in the first post, I'm going to think about it for a little while
    That's the beauty of Open Source, anyone one can work further on the project.
    And I don't plan to leave the project.

At the moment I have only 1 problem with this project. I am not sure if I want to make the application look native on every platform(which will look pretty ugly) or just try to make a custom beautiful UI. People like for example Adobe Photoshop custom UI, Autodesk 3dsMax custom UI, custom UI in general but no Linux users... In the Linux community I see a lot of love for what's old and ugly and I am not sure if a custom UI will be welcomed...

Leave a comment:

• Alliancemd
    replied
    Re

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I agree. Another IM software sounds quite useless to me. No one needs that.
    That's the response to everything...
    I said that a guy chose to make a protocol for video/audio calling and the response was something like this "Another video/audio protocol sounds quite useless to me. No one needs that. Instead, as suggested before, a CLIENT for the voice libs, xmpp libs SIP libs would be much more needed.".
    I said that I could make a Client for voice libs, for example based on XMPP and here it is your response.

I searched 2 weeks for projects to make, there is nothing I could invent new without access to hardware or relations with big companies.
    I had a few great ideas but without a lab and a big team of developers and mathematicians is not possible.
    Theoretically every one(students) in my University at this stage should have 2 years of programming experience, the projects are for 1 person, what do you expect a student without access to hardware, lab, big team and time, to invent?
    A lot of students picked projects I was doing in 1-2 weeks 3 years ago when I was in College.
    I love to be challenged with hard problems but there was no option for me without the resources listed above...
    So I started to search how I can help Open Source world, found this problem on Linux Foundation's high priority list...
    Took a look at the current options and those are just plain useless. If you want the IM to be successful you have to make sure it has Audio/Video capabilities and can be used on as much platforms. Current Open Source alternatives start just now to introduce normal Audio/Video support and it's just for Desktops, for mobiles the implementation allows you just to write text... Sure everyone in this case will choose Skype instead.

Another option for me was to implement another Linux Foundations High Priority project where I had to use Speech Recognition technology, for the basic implementation I could of came with the result in less than 1 week(only for English language with a vocabulary of 60k words) but as much as I would of tried to make it work well it would of never worked well(taking from the experience that Microsoft and Google has with this technology). My coordinator didn't want me to take this one...

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    I agree. Another IM software sounds quite useless to me. No one needs that.

Leave a comment:

• hernil
    replied
    Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
    I proposed a Client based on XMPP to my coordinator, we will talk tomorrow about the ideas I listed(There were 2 more, 1 involving Speech Recognition and is related to High Priority Projects of Linux Foundation). As Linux Foundation says, there are already a lot of IM Clients with Audio/Video capabilities but as I searched, I didn't find a Client for mobile phones which will be open source and have Audio/Video calling. I intend to make an interface(UI) that doesn't use native components(Linux doesn't have something like Cocoa where only by using native components you can make a good looking interface), I don't like at all the experience you can have with current Linux IM Clients. I know that there are some hard core users that love the console and ugly interfaces but anyway, there are more users that love to see something really beautiful...
    I'm no expert in any way compared to a lot of you guys here, but I must say I don't really see the point in this. If your plan to do something for a bachelor, which is a limited time span, creating an IM client doesn't seem like the best option. Even if you make something that is up to par with todays alternatives, it won't take long after your time window closes before your application is no longer developped and becomes irrelevant. If IM is the way you want to go, at the very least work on improving something that will continue on even without you.

As to answer the actual question posed in the first post, I'm going to think about it for a little while

Leave a comment:

• jhellis3
    replied
    PS: I like how people tend to have this rosy dream where Windows is perfect and never fails when in reality it's just an operating system and, as such, fails just as much as any other operating system
    I like how people strawman.

Anyway, thanks guys; you have been EXTREMELY helpful, supportive, and encouraging.

Bye.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    You can be sure reinstalling the os is never a good solution. No matter if it is called win or linux. For win you just need to go to your motherboard vendor and fetch the correct sound driver...

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    Originally posted by jhellis3 View Post
    I really hope my experience here is not indicative of the opensource community in general. Because, if it is, the approximate 10 cents a day one pays for a Windows license is a steal.
    Funny you should say that I have a computer that has a Windows 7 installation and sound simply stopped working on it. I tried every conceivable step to bring it back up and it doesn't work. The only thing I didn't do was the typical solution to Windows problems: format and reinstall. Before you think that the problem must be the sound card, I have openSUSE on that same computer (with pulseaudio and everything, go figure) and sound works there.

PS: I like how people tend to have this rosy dream where Windows is perfect and never fails when in reality it's just an operating system and, as such, fails just as much as any other operating system. I used to waste a lot of time tinkering with Windows to solve problems, make it behave like I wanted to, etc. Now I do the same thing on Ubuntu/Fedora/openSUSE but at least I don't have to pay for that privilege. Before anyone uses the Mac card I also waste a lot of time tinkering with Mac OS.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by jhellis3 View Post
    I get it. PulseAudio works for you; that is great.
    I actually don't use PA. But since Gnome-based distros are switching to it, it must mean it works.

I do not understand, at all, what could possibly be so bad about having a working ALSA device manager and mixer in GUI form.
    Because Gnome-based distros are switching to PA so it would be wasted work :-P

You also have the option to stop using Gnome, a DE which is trying to push PA like no tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• jhellis3
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC
    It works. Just not for you.
    Yes, I am the only person in the world to have a problem with PulseAudio.

Originally posted by RealNC
    You could try to look for help. Try the latest version, post your problems, maybe someone can help you.
    I like how you assume I haven't done any of this.

Please stop trolling me now.

I get it. PulseAudio works for you; that is great. It doesn't work for me, and it hasn't for the last 5 years. The reason it does not work is very likely intrinsic to PulseAudio and not a bug. Nevertheless, I will continue trying new versions. However, until the time comes when PulseAudio does reproduce audio without corruption, I need a working solution.

I do not understand, at all, what could possibly be so bad about having a working ALSA device manager and mixer in GUI form. Why do you persist in criticizing my choice? Have I told you or anyone not to use PulseAudio? No, I haven't.

I really hope my experience here is not indicative of the opensource community in general. Because, if it is, the approximate 10 cents a day one pays for a Windows license is a steal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X