X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alliancemd
    replied
    Re

The world is working against me: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/06/s...g-bumps-to-4-0

Leave a comment:

• Hirager
    replied
    Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
    After I wrote the comment I've read yours one more time and I understood what you meant...
    Do you think of something like Winamp skins or just color variations in a theme?
    I think of neither. QT and GTK themes is the feature I am talking about. The first thing a user new to Linux notices.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    That's the response to everything...
    I said that a guy chose to make a protocol for video/audio calling and the response was something like this "Another video/audio protocol sounds quite useless to me. No one needs that. Instead, as suggested before, a CLIENT for the voice libs, xmpp libs SIP libs would be much more needed.".
    I said that I could make a Client for voice libs, for example based on XMPP and here it is your response.
    These are just personal opinions. Of course you should work on something you personally like and/or consider useful yourself :-)

My original suggestion about an audio framework is based on my frustration with current solutions that always seem to be lacking something (one project lacks MP3, another lacks MIDI, another one is not portable enough, etc.)

I took matters into my own hands in regards to SDL_mixer. It lacks the ability to play several audio streams simultaneously. Someone came up with a very basic prototype implementation of stream mixing, and I took that further and implemented full support for this (https://bitbucket.org/realnc/sdl_mixer). But there was never a reply from upstream about a possible integration of this work. So I'm quite frustrated and was hoping someone would come up with an audio/media API that "just works" :-P
    Last edited by RealNC; 14 June 2012, 09:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied
    Originally posted by darkcoder View Post

3. Standardization.

Believe me, this is an utter pain. Was making a PHP test page to get some OS info. Windows, just use WMI object. FreeBSD? easy, their release numbering is so clear, that standard php_uname instructions work without an issue. Linux???? well, how do I begin... AFAIK there is no /proc entry for OS/Distribution information, /etc/lsb-release is not available by default install in a LOT of Linux distributions (yes Debian, you are one), os-release is even a newer one thus is missing in even more distributions, $insertname-release is also not available in all of them and the name changes according to the distribution (duhh how can I find it if I'm looking for the distribution name in the first place... brilliant idea). And debian_version which guess what, is specific to Debian derivatives. What's left... getting the uname -a output, filtering by hand, and have some luck.

The main reason (BS...excuse) Blizzard gave every time that a Linux client was developed, but never released is that is difficult to support the many variants of distributions out there. Hey, if is so difficult to even check which distribution is used, hey, then checking for needed libs and binaries will be equally painful.
    You're right about the reason being BS. The community will get anything running just give us the dependencies you need and release the stupid game (libs,supported drivers,...etc)!

I also saw the driver issue brought up- I use Catalyst for wine games. No issues thank you.

Sorry, back to the subject at hand....

OS drivers are amazing to say the least. Sometimes they do amazing and other times fall flat... Never would hurt to focus on something for them. For instance a simple gui tweaktool for the xf86-video-ati driver.

Leave a comment:

• Alliancemd
    replied
    Re

Originally posted by Hirager View Post
    Umm, let's clear it up - I am talking about "looks and themes". You seem to talk about widgets layout... right? Also, in this specific case the Linux Skype UI is so limited in comparison to the Windows one. What I am talking about is, for example, "I would like to see Desura apply the system theme, so it looks like all other programs" - I have no opinion on the internal layout of UI controls and layouts.
    After I wrote the comment I've read yours one more time and I understood what you meant...
    Do you think of something like Winamp skins or just color variations in a theme?

Leave a comment:

• Hirager
    replied
    Skype on Windows doesn't have anything related to native looking UI and everyone likes the custom UI they made. Linux users always say they want on Linux the UI that is on Windows. They made on Linux an almost native looking UI... Custom UIs gives you power.
    Umm, let's clear it up - I am talking about "looks and themes". You seem to talk about widgets layout... right? Also, in this specific case the Linux Skype UI is so limited in comparison to the Windows one. What I am talking about is, for example, "I would like to see Desura apply the system theme, so it looks like all other programs" - I have no opinion on the internal layout of UI controls and layouts.

Leave a comment:

• Alliancemd
    replied
    Re

Not exactly "old and ugly". It's about the integrity. We are used to uniform look of applications, so anything with custom UI plainly stands out, which is not always the good characteristic. It is going to be open source, so go for the third option - multi-UI. You write the interface you love to see done and let anybody else to come up with the integrating interfaces. If you do it the right way, your own UI could be adapted rather than creating a new one from scratch.
    Skype on Windows doesn't have anything related to native looking UI and everyone likes the custom UI they made. Linux users always say they want on Linux the UI that is on Windows. They made on Linux an almost native looking UI... Custom UIs gives you power.

Leave a comment:

• Hirager
    replied
    If I am not wrong Telepathy is only for Linux(because it uses D-bus and D-bus is at this moment only available for Linux). While I mainly do that to help Linux get rid of Skype at the same time I want the application to be Cross-Platform. There are a lot of Windows and Mac users, if they want to talk with someone that's on Linux they should be able to...
    I understand. :/ But! When I finally enough of C and co. then I could push the integration. As you just said - that's the beauty of the open source model!

Leave a comment:

• Alliancemd
    replied
    Could you hook up into the Telepathy framework, please? I am not even sure what it exactly does, but I would love to see your work integrate with existing programs which utilize Telepathy. Thank you for your wise decision to help the Free Software.
    If I am not wrong Telepathy is only for Linux(because it uses D-bus and D-bus is at this moment only available for Linux). While I mainly do that to help Linux get rid of Skype at the same time I want the application to be Cross-Platform. There are a lot of Windows and Mac users, if they want to talk with someone that's on Linux they should be able to...

Leave a comment:

• Hirager
    replied
    That's the beauty of Open Source, anyone one can work further on the project.
    And I don't plan to leave the project.

At the moment I have only 1 problem with this project. I am not sure if I want to make the application look native on every platform(which will look pretty ugly) or just try to make a custom beautiful UI. People like for example Adobe Photoshop custom UI, Autodesk 3dsMax custom UI, custom UI in general but no Linux users... In the Linux community I see a lot of love for what's old and ugly and I am not sure if a custom UI will be welcomed...
    Not exactly "old and ugly". It's about the integrity. We are used to uniform look of applications, so anything with custom UI plainly stands out, which is not always the good characteristic. It is going to be open source, so go for the third option - multi-UI. You write the interface you love to see done and let anybody else to come up with the integrating interfaces. If you do it the right way, your own UI could be adapted rather than creating a new one from scratch.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X