No announcement yet.

Help me help Linux, tell me about Linux problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can resolve most prominent and visible bugs in X.org, KDE, help improve nouveau, etc.

Here's a sample list for your consideration.

Comment

Re

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      You can resolve most prominent and visible bugs in X.org, KDE, help improve nouveau, etc.

Here's a sample list for your consideration.
      Fixing bugs is not really a project for Bachelor of Science...

Comment

Originally posted by jhellis3 View Post
        Did you even read my original post?

PulseAudio produces corrupted sound. <---That is a period. All of the convenience it provides is meaningless since it can't actually produce clean sound.

Odd, I remember this being possible several years ago...

Either way, that is exactly the reason the problem needs addressing.
        Because PA doesn't work on your system? That's hardly a need to addressing anything. I mean, you aren't THAT important :-P

Comment

You are really contributing to this thread...

Comment

You are really contributing to this thread...
            Your solution is not the best also. Let's go with a slashdot favorite: the car analogy. I have an issue with my car, my steering wheel doesn't work well. I remove it, and then then the rest of the car works. Then I gripe that VW should have some kind of device that would let me steer. Possibly a round one.

Usually pulseaudio not working is a sympthom of a audio driver bug. But it might also be a PA bug. This "PA is the worst thing ever and never plays anything" story is not really true now. Hell, my CELLPHONE uses pulseaudio. Never had any issues there.

I'm not saying that you don't have a problem, I'm saying that it is a bug, and once fixed, you'll get a decent mixer and all the advantages PA provides. You can also try a few PA-using distros (especially fedora) and see if you still have the issue, and report a bug to the PA and alsa kernel developers, and also yeah, KMix works good, even outside of KDE (and can use GTK to draw itself).

Comment

Your solution is not the best also.
              I don't recall ever saying it was.

I also didn't realize Linux was about only having 1 solution...

This "PA is the worst thing ever and never plays anything"
              /strawman.

Usually pulseaudio not working is a sympthom of a audio driver bug.
              It has been over 5 years of "bugs."

I'm not interested in excuses; I'm interested in working audio and being able to select default audio devices. That really is not too much to expect from an OS.

Comment

I'm not interested in excuses; I'm interested in working audio and being able to select default audio devices. That really is not too much to expect from an OS.
                It works. Just not for you. You could try to look for help. Try the latest version, post your problems, maybe someone can help you.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC
                  It works. Just not for you.
                  Yes, I am the only person in the world to have a problem with PulseAudio.

Originally posted by RealNC
                  You could try to look for help. Try the latest version, post your problems, maybe someone can help you.
                  I like how you assume I haven't done any of this.

Please stop trolling me now.

I get it. PulseAudio works for you; that is great. It doesn't work for me, and it hasn't for the last 5 years. The reason it does not work is very likely intrinsic to PulseAudio and not a bug. Nevertheless, I will continue trying new versions. However, until the time comes when PulseAudio does reproduce audio without corruption, I need a working solution.

I do not understand, at all, what could possibly be so bad about having a working ALSA device manager and mixer in GUI form. Why do you persist in criticizing my choice? Have I told you or anyone not to use PulseAudio? No, I haven't.

I really hope my experience here is not indicative of the opensource community in general. Because, if it is, the approximate 10 cents a day one pays for a Windows license is a steal.

Comment

I get it. PulseAudio works for you; that is great.
                    I actually don't use PA. But since Gnome-based distros are switching to it, it must mean it works.

I do not understand, at all, what could possibly be so bad about having a working ALSA device manager and mixer in GUI form.
                    Because Gnome-based distros are switching to PA so it would be wasted work :-P

You also have the option to stop using Gnome, a DE which is trying to push PA like no tomorrow.

Comment

I really hope my experience here is not indicative of the opensource community in general. Because, if it is, the approximate 10 cents a day one pays for a Windows license is a steal.
                      Funny you should say that I have a computer that has a Windows 7 installation and sound simply stopped working on it. I tried every conceivable step to bring it back up and it doesn't work. The only thing I didn't do was the typical solution to Windows problems: format and reinstall. Before you think that the problem must be the sound card, I have openSUSE on that same computer (with pulseaudio and everything, go figure) and sound works there.

PS: I like how people tend to have this rosy dream where Windows is perfect and never fails when in reality it's just an operating system and, as such, fails just as much as any other operating system. I used to waste a lot of time tinkering with Windows to solve problems, make it behave like I wanted to, etc. Now I do the same thing on Ubuntu/Fedora/openSUSE but at least I don't have to pay for that privilege. Before anyone uses the Mac card I also waste a lot of time tinkering with Mac OS.

Comment

Working...
                      X