Microsoft: The Unlikely Sponsor Of Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael,

Can you for a second be more polite, stop feeding trolls and stop being a troll yourself?

You use too many loud, highly offending and humiliating words and expressions like "VirtualBox Linux kernel drivers are tainted crap", "Windows 8 is mostly a crap wreck", etc.

I understand it's your opinion, but Phoronix is not some kind of blog, it's a prominent Linux news resource. Most likely Linux in the next 20 years will not reach a market share Windows 8 will being to occupy in 12 months.

VirtualBox kernel drivers works just fine and have never caused crashes or anything like that for 99.999% of people.

Be a man.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      Which is entirely different from VC10's lack of MFC without paying.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Michael,

Can you for a second be more polite, stop feeding trolls and stop being a troll yourself?

You use too many loud, highly offending and humiliating words and expressions like "VirtualBox Linux kernel drivers are tainted crap", "Windows 8 is mostly a crap wreck", etc.

I understand it's your opinion, but Phoronix is not some kind of blog, it's a prominent Linux news resource. Most likely Linux in the next 20 years will not reach a market share Windows 8 will being to occupy in 12 months.

VirtualBox kernel drivers works just fine and have never caused crashes or anything like that for 99.999% of people.

Be a man.
        Actually, phoronix is kinda a blog. To be more precise, its a forum, even if that isn't the explicit intention. BTW, its much more manly to say something shocking that you don't find in news sources than it is to suck up to a corporation and use prissy words so people like you can feel more comfortable. If the news is legitimate and gets the point across without too much bias, then just deal with it if you hear a slang word or cuss every once in a while. It is NOT manly to state offense to something that isn't a big deal at all, and to make an insulting accusation to a (generally) non-profit provider.

FYI, the virtualbox drivers being "tainted crap" wasn't Michael's words. I would say that wording it like that was a little excessive, but virtualbox drivers are pretty bad. You're better off using VirtualGL, at least for non-windows guests.

Anyways back to the topic, I have a feeling that either Steve Ballmer doesn't know this stuff is going on or MS is trying to mess with our heads by suddenly being so supportive of linux. Sure there's a small possibility that they accept it is a worthy competitor and in many cases is better than their own products, but a company like that would never admit such a thing. A company that makes their own product just in spite of destroying the competition doesn't just suddenly sponsor and accept something they outwardly hated. I don't like the feel of this.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
          But if that makes people move to mingw (with QtCreator or some other IDE), we can finally use C99 on WIndows!
          No they won't. People that need to work on c++ desktop apps will just buy VC11. MinGW can't link to system libs, so you are stuck supporting all of your dependencies.

Comment

So, this is another case of Embrace, extend and extinguish?

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
              So, this is another case of Embrace, extend and extinguish?
              No, it's not Google.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
                Following Oracle's acquisition of Sun, they pissed off the OpenOffice.org development camp, killed off OpenSolaris, and VirtualBox Linux kernel drivers are tainted crap, among other measures to alienate open-source / Linux fans. Oracle's sponsorship of LinuxTag at least isn't as strange as Microsoft's large presence.
                You forgot Oracle suing Google over Dalvik.

But wow, I'm amazed that Microsoft and Oracle are there, but IBM and Google aren't. Almost seems like LinuxTag is just a pseudonym for "MicrosoftTag".

Comment

Oracle has many interests in Linux and a rather big contributor to foss so I don't think its strange they sponsor Linuxtag.
                  Microsoft has some products target Linux admins etc. I don't think Microsoft's sponsoring is a part of a big anti Linux conspiracy, they have some products so they try to get some advertising. Probably way cheaper than big advertising campaigns in mayor media.

Comment

Dear Michael,

Please, grow up. Your article is so childish and pathetic. It just can't be taken seriously. Really.

"I think Windows 8 is mostly a crap wreck", "they got in bed with Microsoft", "I usually don't find myself at this Microsoft Lounge, since they don't have the openSUSE beer"

I mean, what? Is this really the best you have to offer? Then you're doing it wrong. And it's not funny. It's just embarrassing.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      wow this is really evil :-( damn you microsoft!
                      It's not evil, it makes total sense. Microsoft wants to kill off the old desktop, and the only way they are going to do that is to firmly push people into developing Metro applications. They aren't going to annoy their corporate customers who spend tens of thousands to millions in licensing fees, but the person who doesn't pay a cent to develop software is the perfect catalyst to get the ball rolling.

I don't see this is an attack on FOSS. I see this as Microsoft's only option if they don't want Windows 9 through 13 still having two completely different DEs bolted together.
                      Last edited by randomizer; 25 May 2012, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X