Linux Support Finally For Creative Sound Core3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
    I haven't use a Creative Zen for a while, do they still require that horrible software under Windows and what is the situation under Linux?
    I'm not sure about the more advanced Creative multimedia players, but I can use my Zen Stone just like a USB flash drive under Linux and put my mp3 files on it. Under Windows I would have the advantage that I can also adjust the maximum sound volume and I could also use Audible software. But audible is crap... (poor sound quality of the audiobooks and especially the nonexistant support for Linux etc.)

Comment

On PC the audio is dead anyway. Those wanting audio output get it in form of built-in audio codec which has good signal/noise anyway and usually spdif/coaxial out.
      Those wanting audio input, buy audio interfaces with very good signal/noise and multiple connections.
      Creative is dead since SB128 as it failed to produce anything innovative and has also attacked and destroyed Aureal.
      The so-called audio-card for PC is waste of money.

Regarding *this* card, I already researched and replied here. Core3d is overpriced useless marketing junk.

It is of course, very welcome to see new hardware support in kernel regardless of what hardware it is. Does it support THX and CrystalVoice btw?
      Last edited by crazycheese; 24 May 2012, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Asus Xonair

Bought it, never looked back.

Was much better supported from moment I bought it.(around same time, I donated my X-FI to Takashi)
        Multi channeled, nice ALSA support, relatively not that expensive, compared to same X-FI, PCI-E from very start, higher sample rate(my model at that time anyway), actually works, what else to want more?

Asus, good job, guys at ALSA development team, I LOVE YOU!

Comment

Linux driver was always hoty topic on creative support forum

Linux driver was always hot topic on creative support forum.
          I told there that I will buy X-FI when it will support what Audigy/Live! already supports on Linux:
          hw accelerated:
          -OpenAL with EAX
          -wavetable with loadable soundfonts
          -hardware mixing

So far only hw mixing in alsa is supported for X-FI. So you will have more acceleration if you buy Live!/Audigy instead of X-FI. So I still can not buy X-FI and use integrated Realtek waiting for OpenAL and wavetable drivers.

Comment

Soundcards necessary??

I've always been a DIY computer builder, usually building computers for gaming. I used to recommend to people to put a soundcard to boost gaming performance (10 years ago that was more significant, though never that great). It's been several years since that has been true.

In fact, for awhile, the "introductory" sound cards were typically inferior to the builtin MB sound card (still true?)

So, I have to ask, who's still buying sound cards.

Otherwise, regarding the "binary blob" vs "must be opensource driver" argument. I'm of the opinion that if a hardware manufacturer wants me to buy their product, they WILL provide support, whether it be proprietary driver or otherwise. I appreciate that people have put together opensource drivers, but for certain fringe devices, this support is usually lacking.

ONE NOTABLE EXCEPTION: Wacom tablet drivers (and similar touchscreen). There has been excellent support for this going back a couple of years now.

Comment

Originally posted by texaswriter1983 View Post
              I've always been a DIY computer builder, usually building computers for gaming. I used to recommend to people to put a soundcard to boost gaming performance (10 years ago that was more significant, though never that great). It's been several years since that has been true.

In fact, for awhile, the "introductory" sound cards were typically inferior to the builtin MB sound card (still true?)

So, I have to ask, who's still buying sound cards.
              MB sound is more than sufficient for 99% of users. The only people who should be buying discrete cards are audiophiles, professionals, and amateur enthusiasts.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                MB sound is more than sufficient for 99% of users. The only people who should be buying discrete cards are audiophiles, professionals, and amateur enthusiasts.
                And people who use MIDI keyboards and synths. You don't have to be a "professional" to get annoyed by the horrible latency and sound dropouts of MB audio chips.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  And people who use MIDI keyboards and synths. You don't have to be a "professional" to get annoyed by the horrible latency and sound dropouts of MB audio chips.
                  Well professionals I can understand. I've never had any problems with builtin sound cards.

About 10 years ago, there used to be issues (mostly data bandwidth issues) when xferring data to/from two devices simultaneously (you'd get hiccups). Like listening to music while burning a CD (music comes from HDD to speakers; data comes from HDD to RAM buffer to CD)...

Comment

If I was to do a 'professional audio' I'd much rather stick with my ancient Audiophile 2496 rather then use a Creative card.

2-in, 2-out
                    SPDIF-out AND SPDIF-in.
                    And actual midi connections.

Nothing spectacular, but it really made a big difference compared to the Audigy 1 that it replaced.

Cards with hardware mixing built-in can have sound quality issues. I don't know if it's still the same way with modern Creative cards, but the older Creative stuff forced mixing when it wasn't necessary which stomped on audio quality when doing digital out. The only way to get digital out without mixing was to use AC-3 pass through. The problem with that is that Ac-3 compression necessary to get 5.1 out over SPDIF's limited bandwidth is worse, audio-wise, then MP3....

The difference between 'professional' and 'consumer' cards is really has more to do with the ability to do low-latency and with the much larger I/O options offered rather then anything else, really. Which means if you are spending money on a creative gaming card for doing 'pro-sumer' audio processing you are doing it wrong.

Comment

very obvious

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      That you didn't actually have problems with onboard sound cards...

Comment

Working...
                      X