Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser4 For New Kernels? Don't Hold Your Breath

Phoronix: Reiser4 For New Kernels? Don't Hold Your Breath

Hopefully you're not anxiously waiting for the Reiser4 file-system to appear for new Linux kernel releases.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hey Michael;
    Time for you to connect the dots. This filesystem is DEAD. Its not going ANYWHERE. Time to stop reporting on it.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      This filesystem is DEAD.
      I can't... resist... the urge...

Comment

Hey Michael;
        Time for you to connect the dots. This filesystem is DEAD. Its not going ANYWHERE. Time to stop reporting on it.
        A million volts and some fjords might make a difference on this ex-filesystem.

Comment

Hey Michael;
          Yep, it's unnews, it's boring and only interesting to the naive ones who hope reiserfs is still gonna make it.

Comment

One has to wonder whether Reiser4 will ever hit the mainline Linux kernel
            Allow me to clarify, in no uncertain terms.

Unless an active developer (not just a maintainer) steps up, Reiser4 will NEVER see mainline inclusion. It was an interesting and progressive approach to file-systems. The majority of it's progressive and useful features have been incorporated into BTRFS, the majority of its quirks have been left to bitrot. Reiser4 is only interesting to academics and those interested in social controversy.

If you are currently using Reiser4, you need to come up with a migration strategy immediately. This should be as easy as "cp -a /oldmount/* /newmount/" unless you are leveraging one of the oddball features.

Ready, set, go!

F

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
              .. and those interested in social controversy.
              I loved that

ps: there is no reason to include a FileSystem that no one is developing. It would be too dangerous and no company would want such a thing (and not even privates). Let Reiser4 die and leave it to the gossip (yes, exactly like Michael does!).

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                I can't... resist... the urge...
                Its been... MURDERED!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X