Maximal: A New Open-Source License...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Canada, but that probably wasn't what you meant

Believe it or not, terms like "open source" are *not* as clear as one would like - partly from years of abusing the term and partly because there actually *are* a bunch of corner cases, particularly when it comes to combining code which was obtained under different licenses.
    Test signature

Comment

Open source.

Even wikipedias definitions are pretty clear.

In production and development, open source is a philosophy,[1][not in citation given][2][not in citation given] or pragmatic methodology[2][not in citation given] that promotes free redistribution and access to an end product's design and implementation detail

Peace.
      Last edited by Paradox Ethereal; 08 November 2017, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Heh. Speaking of esoteric licenses, this one is by far the best I've seen:

Comment

I already commented on that in the other thread. Please read that please, if you want to understand the thinking behind this licence. It is really about having something that is commonly acceptable, without WTF`s and burgers/GNU/beer etc. Since I am now turned off Gplv3 I just wrote my own licence, from what I thought the GPL was about. And kindof shedding now redundancy.

Peace.

Comment

Btw, I wrote this licence for my own plugins @ https://sourceforge.net/projects/pxu/files/

Which might be newsworthy when they get GUI`s etc. (It seems that that is what most people look at).

They are for windows though, because developing with LADSPA in mind, became too tedious. (pointer variables all over the place).

Hopefully plugins and sequencers etc, develop on Linux, and people can enjoy this system, fully professionaly, as it is excellent at low latency operation, and a hackers dream in that you can learn about it all the way down to the core, and make as small or large tweaks as you want. Without depency on corporations or the often pretensious DSP-programmer idol.

I also have this low-latency config, if anyone is interested in that. http://paradoxuncreated.com/tmp/.config39 as I have also discussed in other threads. Extremely smooth doom3 gameplay, and 0.33 ms latency in renoise (on professional soundcard).

Peace.
            Last edited by Paradox Ethereal; 08 November 2017, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Heh. Speaking of esoteric licenses, this one is by far the best I've seen:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTFPL
              That one is pretty good. A lot of the times, when reading about law suites, or police cases I just wish we could write a law or a lisence agreement that says "Don't be an asshole".

Comment

Minimal commercial non-free licence

Some user, after having communicated with Richard Stallman, decided to write a new open-source license. This new open-source license is quite simple and is being called Maximal.

Here's the license text by Uwaysi Bin Kareem:
                This program, plugin, or function is licenced under the Maximal Opensource Licence. That means that it`s source should always stay open source. And any changes must be available with the branches. And its derivatives can never in anyway be released as closed source.

Authorship can be included, but it is not neccesary. A list of changes by author is though recommended.
                And I have written a new commercial licence. This new commercial non-free licence is quite simple and is being caller Minimal.
                Here's the licence text:
                This code is not yours! You are not allowed to see it! Please avert your eyes.

Comment

---- outdated.
                  Last edited by Paradox Ethereal; 08 November 2017, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
                    Even wikipedias definitions are pretty clear.

In production and development, open source is a philosophy,[1][not in citation given][2][not in citation given] or pragmatic methodology[2][not in citation given] that promotes free redistribution and access to an end product's design and implementation details

So all we need to say is, "not closed sorce in anyway". For instance Mit/Bsd allows opensource becoming closed source, so it is really not open source.

Peace.
                    So a BSD license doesn't count as open source? That's probably not what the original license writer intended.

How about the MS license that allows for free redistribution and viewing of their source code, but no grant to modify or use it? Even a terrible lawyer would certainly argue that meets an "open source" requirement if the license doesn't go into any details about what "open source" entails.

Comment

--- outdated.
                      Last edited by Paradox Ethereal; 08 November 2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X