Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MythTV 0.25 Is FInally Released With Many Changes

Phoronix: MythTV 0.25 Is FInally Released With Many Changes

At long last, MythTV 0.25 has been released. This update to the popular open-source PVR/HTPC project is long overdue, but there are some significant changes to find with this new version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Irony

Bummer that nearly every single one of those features was written by one of the guys who has either forked the project or outright quit out of disgust. The MythTV project is down to a small group of bureaucrats and jerks as far as I can tell. Can't wait to see .26, which ought to be a flaming pile of ashes.

Comment

Originally posted by loftus View Post
      Bummer that nearly every single one of those features was written by one of the guys who has either forked the project or outright quit out of disgust. The MythTV project is down to a small group of bureaucrats and jerks as far as I can tell. Can't wait to see .26, which ought to be a flaming pile of ashes.

I'm not sure what you are reading besides the previous presumptuous article on this site. A lot of the devs fork the project for their own personal playground. Some forks are public, while others are a private playground for new ideas which may break a lot of stuff.

Anyways, I would sure like to read up on how you came to your conclusions. Otherwise, please don't flame people working on a great OSS project.

Comment

Looking through the mythtv email and IRC archives supports the idea that they left the project because they were unhappy. They have also registered a domain and setup a new website, though it's mostly a placeholder in its current form.

Comment

last time I talked with devs in irc about a bug in Live Tv they told me "Live Tv is so 90's" and they weren't interested in it. I told them I like to watch news while i'm dining, and they answered me to record it and watch it as a recorded program.
          I'm wishing the best to mythtv, but if devs are leaving due to difficult relations I suspect it won't go far

Comment

Yes, there has been a general disdain for the live tv feature in the Myth community for sometime now. They stubborn refuse to acknowledge that some types of programming don't lend themselves to record-and-watch. News and Sports immediately jump to mind. Telling someone to record and watch something like election returns isn't even a good work-around. It's not realistic at all if you plan to flip between network coverage. Sport events can run long, which you won't realize until you get to the end of your recording and miss the end. This can happen even if you set it to record the next program, because some games can run way over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Straximus View Post
              Yes, there has been a general disdain for the live tv feature in the Myth community for sometime now.
              Now this part certainly is true. Fortunately, the devs did give LiveTV some attention before the 0.25 release.

Comment

Originally posted by Straximus View Post
                Yes, there has been a general disdain for the live tv feature in the Myth community for sometime now. They stubborn refuse to acknowledge that some types of programming don't lend themselves to record-and-watch. News and Sports immediately jump to mind. Telling someone to record and watch something like election returns isn't even a good work-around. It's not realistic at all if you plan to flip between network coverage. Sport events can run long, which you won't realize until you get to the end of your recording and miss the end. This can happen even if you set it to record the next program, because some games can run way over time.
                This may have been true a few years ago, but that's generally not true anymore..

In fact the delay in releasing 0.25 was due to an issue with LiveTV. If it was that low a priority, do you think it would have ever delayed a release?

Lots of work has been done to make LiveTV work like everyone would expect.
                Aside, LiveTV has worked for years. It had some oddities when you started to record the program (you couldn't change channels from that point), and this has been corrected.

0.25 brings features not available on any other projects, and all of this for free.. Maybe that fact is worth keeping in mind.

Comment

Working...
                X