No announcement yet.

Open-Source Skype Effort Is Dormant Or Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is one of things I appreciate Nvidia does not do. They are not against nouveau.

Skype is straight crap, straight from its birth as Kazaa (Malware p2p) up till today.

What was that guy doing, is trying to make skype available on non-w32, the thing that skype itself should have done.

Well, Skype has just shown off what piece of crap it is. Apparently devices to monitor and decode skype communications have been LONG available to governments and agencies (in case somebody thinks its secure), so it has virtually no advantages.

Im using ekiga to communicate with w32 machine of my relatives, no problem.

I still wait for pidgin to implement video/audio from unix machines to w32.

Comment

The existence of the intellectual properties in the usa questiones the freedom of the usa market, and also questiones legitimity of the regime of usa.

Comment

WTF? Who the hell cares? We don't need open source implementations of reverse engineered proprietary protocols when we have FULLY OPEN protocols that do the same thing, but better, and aren't subject to the random protocol changes that break everything without notice.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          WTF? Who the hell cares? We don't need open source implementations of reverse engineered proprietary protocols when we have FULLY OPEN protocols that do the same thing, but better, and aren't subject to the random protocol changes that break everything without notice.
          We != Me. Open protocols are welcome, but I have to connect with people who still use Skype and I certainly don't want to resort to Windows partitions or using Skype under wine, or using a 1+ years old version of skype beta for linux.

Comment

DMCA? That's disgusting. I'm glad I don't use Skype.

Comment

Gene is out of the bottle/ Open-Source must be addaptive

True, MS bought Skype; True the code was purchased at the time of purchase. Question remains: Was the 'Skype' code available as a open-sourced code up until that moment? If so, the 'gene is out of the bottle' (Grandfathered) code.

I submit: Because the -open source' code was available pre MS purchase the existence of use was years prior; Can the 'open-sourced' code, available 'pre MS purchase' be re branded; and use existing 'port' functions? I think so.

When MS purchased 'Skype/ code': They now have the rights to alter that code how they see fit, from that point forward. Previous 'open-sourced' versions; however, might be 're-branded' and 'fork off' to create an independent application.

This could be in the form of an adaptive 'Google+ (Hang Out) tool. A Google 'sponsored' open source application that can be used to contact 'Skype/ Google+' client lists might be developed? Reliance on driver specifics for hardware use has already been developed for the 'Google+' (Hang Out) appliance. It would be a matter of either porting the existing contact info from an open-sourced 'Skype'; or creating them independently, one at a time.

I remind the developers about the existence of 'Pigeon Internet Messaging (PIM)' as a starting platform. Just add Video/Audio functions and a wider array of function to pre-existing' IM services is available. This again excludes the client list of Skype; as PIM opens Skype independently. Expand the PIM function to accept individual 'manual' entry of a contact list might be the only alternative for 'Skype' contact lists; as it might be considered a violation of service to port list as a mass 'export'.

Like with all network changes: 'morphing' into a better application takes organization and planning. Do not give up!!

Comment

When was skype ever open-source? This is talking about an attempt to reverse-engineer the skype protocol, which has always been closed-source and proprietary as far as I am aware.

I think our only hope is that microsoft makes skype xmpp compatible like they did with msn. I don't think it is impossible, if they are pushing xmpp it makes sense to make all their products compatible with it.

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
                  We != Me. Open protocols are welcome, but I have to connect with people who still use Skype and I certainly don't want to resort to Windows partitions or using Skype under wine, or using a 1+ years old version of skype beta for linux.
                  Bullsh**. Tell your retard's to upgrade to open protocols. Ekiga.net accounts are FREE and offer SIP-to-SIP (no PSTN linkup).

Comment

Negatie input, breads negative results ... .

Prior to MS purchase of Skype: I used two versions. One Linux(Ubuntu); the other MS(Windows 7). After MS Purchased: When I added a new contact in Linux, which is working; this same contact was not present in MS. Using the recipricating method; I am able to add a contact in MS, and havevisible in the Linux version (Skype 2.2 (Beta)).

The fore mentioned version of Skype might have been 'open sourced' at one time (Pre-MS Sale). This is not the argument: Skype is now a MS subsidiary. Running from WINE has 'layering' issue that make the application inoperable. Skype is now proprietary software.

Using 'xmpp' is a starting point. At present: 'Pigeon Internet Messaging (PIM)' will allow activation Skype 2.2 (Beta). Only the (Beta) application runs independently; seperate from (PIM). This (Beta) mod must have been developed at a time prior to MS purchase; the newer versions of MS Skype only accept 'grandfathered' contact lists, for the (Beta). At present: New contacts created in MS Skype are operable from the (Beta). This too may change.

Because MSN in PIM is available; AND (Beta) as a seperate executable - It stands to reason that MSN may become inoperable, in the future. Maybe, that is the original purpose for the MS purchase of Skype? To exclude MSN from PIM like application.

Constructive evaluation of the issue will aid in a progressive path for resolution. Negatie input, breads negative results; AND only looses trackion towards the agreed on goal.

What is that goal? I do not know; however, getting there is not following the 'path of least resistance'.

Comment

Bullsh**. Tell your retard's
                      And that's why the stereotype regarding free software supporters is that we don't get laid. Learn some civility.

to upgrade to open protocols. Ekiga.net accounts are FREE
                      It would be unrealistic to assume all of halo9en's friends and family have Skype installed just to talk to halo9en, or that the rest of their own respective friends and family would be willing to switch. I'd love for everyone to use something more open than Facebook, too, but getting people to make a change that will isolate them from their social circle turns out to be a lot harder than just getting them to switch their OS.

I have friends who, for reasons that are beyond me, spend dozens of hours a week skyping. For me to try to convince them to, in turn, try to convince all their contacts to switch to something else would be both futile and egotistical. Google's video chat may one day become more interoperable and have more users than Skype, but ekiga.net, like the GNU/Linux desktop, will forever remain the home of geeks and our non-geek parents.

I personally use my Android phone and tablet to do video chat, on the rare occasions when I use it at all (pidgin or texting usually suits me fine). I still have Skype installed on my laptop, and will welcome a free software implementation of their protocol. Fighting the good fight doesn't matter to me if doing so prevents me from communicating with someone I love.

Comment

Working...
                      X