Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Effect Of Desktop Effects On Graphics Performance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Effect Of Desktop Effects On Graphics Performance

    Phoronix: The Effect Of Desktop Effects On Graphics Performance

    Earlier this month I published an article with benchmarks of the Gaming/Graphics Performance On Unity, GNOME, KDE, Xfce. Now, however, there's a much larger comparison, including results from OpenBox, Lubuntu, GNOME classic, and other desktop alternatives...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA2NDA

  • #2
    Haters gonna hate but I'll stick with 2D Unity.

    Comment


    • #3
      It may be interesting to do some more Compiz benchmarks after setting the "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" option (Composite plugin in CCSM). I don't know why it's not enabled by default, though.


      Otherwise, a very recent patch claims to double Compiz CPU performance. It did not reached Ubuntu yet, but it should improve the poor Compiz performance that we see here.

      Comment


      • #4
        It may be interesting to do some more Compiz benchmarks after setting the "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" option (Composite plugin in CCSM). I don't know why it's not enabled by default, though.


        Otherwise, a very recent patch claims to double Compiz CPU performance. It did not reached Ubuntu yet, but it should improve the poor Compiz performance that we see here.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Tgui View Post
          Haters gonna hate but I'll stick with 2D Unity.
          I don't hate your decision I just hate the clich? of "haters gonna hate".

          I was tired of it the first time I heard it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yay - 15 min of Phoronix fame
            A few other notes about the tests, if anyone should want to know.
            • All tests were done in full screen
            • The test in standard Gnome showed to top Gnome panel over the full screen graphics
            • Other graphics errors were present, but the same in all setups
            • This was not done on a fresh install, but everyday-use laptop, before and after the upgrade to 12.04


            I don't mind Unity that much either and used for several months. After that I switched to Gnome, and then to Gnome Classic (no FX). I need the openGL performance I can get from this old laptop for my work, and it seemed a bit faster in Gnome Classic. I guess I have a few more options now!

            By the way, can anyone tell me how to make gluxmark run windowed through PTS?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ArchLinux View Post
              I don't hate your decision I just hate the clich? of "haters gonna hate".

              I was tired of it the first time I heard it.
              U mad bro?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by anbog View Post
                Yay - 15 min of Phoronix fame
                A few other notes about the tests, if anyone should want to know.[LIST][*]All tests were done in full screen
                How could it be that kwin performed so poorly?
                DId you make sure that unredirect fullscreen windows was active? i cannot see any performance difference with kwin unredirected vs openbox or even a totally unmanaged X server.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
                  How could it be that kwin performed so poorly?
                  DId you make sure that unredirect fullscreen windows was active? i cannot see any performance difference with kwin unredirected vs openbox or even a totally unmanaged X server.
                  I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to either of those questions. I try to get my OS to work for me, but I'm still slightly noobish in the world of linux. So I didn't do anything special - just installed the different desktops and tested them as they were. Simply because that is how I use them

                  If you tell me how to make sure I unredirect fullscreen windows (and if it's fairly easy to do), I'll can test it tomorrow on the same machine.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by anbog View Post
                    I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to either of those questions. I try to get my OS to work for me, but I'm still slightly noobish in the world of linux. So I didn't do anything special - just installed the different desktops and tested them as they were. Simply because that is how I use them

                    If you tell me how to make sure I unredirect fullscreen windows (and if it's fairly easy to do), I'll can test it tomorrow on the same machine.
                    System Settings -> Desktop Effects -> "Advanced" tab -> "Suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows" checkbox.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X