Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Effect Of Desktop Effects On Graphics Performance

Phoronix: The Effect Of Desktop Effects On Graphics Performance

Earlier this month I published an article with benchmarks of the Gaming/Graphics Performance On Unity, GNOME, KDE, Xfce. Now, however, there's a much larger comparison, including results from OpenBox, Lubuntu, GNOME classic, and other desktop alternatives...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA2NDA

Haters gonna hate but I'll stick with 2D Unity.

Comment

It may be interesting to do some more Compiz benchmarks after setting the "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" option (Composite plugin in CCSM). I don't know why it's not enabled by default, though.

Otherwise, a very recent patch claims to double Compiz CPU performance. It did not reached Ubuntu yet, but it should improve the poor Compiz performance that we see here.

Comment

It may be interesting to do some more Compiz benchmarks after setting the "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" option (Composite plugin in CCSM). I don't know why it's not enabled by default, though.

Otherwise, a very recent patch claims to double Compiz CPU performance. It did not reached Ubuntu yet, but it should improve the poor Compiz performance that we see here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
          Haters gonna hate but I'll stick with 2D Unity.
          I don't hate your decision I just hate the clich? of "haters gonna hate".

I was tired of it the first time I heard it.

Comment

Yay - 15 min of Phoronix fame
            A few other notes about the tests, if anyone should want to know.
            • All tests were done in full screen
            • The test in standard Gnome showed to top Gnome panel over the full screen graphics
            • Other graphics errors were present, but the same in all setups
            • This was not done on a fresh install, but everyday-use laptop, before and after the upgrade to 12.04

I don't mind Unity that much either and used for several months. After that I switched to Gnome, and then to Gnome Classic (no FX). I need the openGL performance I can get from this old laptop for my work, and it seemed a bit faster in Gnome Classic. I guess I have a few more options now!

By the way, can anyone tell me how to make gluxmark run windowed through PTS?

Comment

Originally posted by ArchLinux View Post
              I don't hate your decision I just hate the clich? of "haters gonna hate".

I was tired of it the first time I heard it.
              U mad bro?

Comment

Originally posted by anbog View Post
                Yay - 15 min of Phoronix fame
                A few other notes about the tests, if anyone should want to know.[LIST][*]All tests were done in full screen
                How could it be that kwin performed so poorly?
                DId you make sure that unredirect fullscreen windows was active? i cannot see any performance difference with kwin unredirected vs openbox or even a totally unmanaged X server.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
                  How could it be that kwin performed so poorly?
                  DId you make sure that unredirect fullscreen windows was active? i cannot see any performance difference with kwin unredirected vs openbox or even a totally unmanaged X server.
                  I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to either of those questions. I try to get my OS to work for me, but I'm still slightly noobish in the world of linux. So I didn't do anything special - just installed the different desktops and tested them as they were. Simply because that is how I use them

If you tell me how to make sure I unredirect fullscreen windows (and if it's fairly easy to do), I'll can test it tomorrow on the same machine.

Comment

Originally posted by anbog View Post
                    I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to either of those questions. I try to get my OS to work for me, but I'm still slightly noobish in the world of linux. So I didn't do anything special - just installed the different desktops and tested them as they were. Simply because that is how I use them

If you tell me how to make sure I unredirect fullscreen windows (and if it's fairly easy to do), I'll can test it tomorrow on the same machine.
                    System Settings -> Desktop Effects -> "Advanced" tab -> "Suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows" checkbox.

Comment

Working...
                    X