Adobe Announces Plans To Abandon Flash On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    5 years of support for 11.2 is pretty decent...
    I wonder how the new Chrome-only version will handle stand-alone Flash stuff though (Machinarium comes to mind).
    I assume that is actually separate from the Flash browser plugin, and comes with flash bundled on its own. I assume.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      What's Java got to do with anything?
      Posters were talking about Java being a Black Box as well, which was the excuse used for Firefox devs to say they didn't want Goggle's Flash wrapper.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
        I'd be happy is Java was dropped too. We have HTML5 and Javascript to get most things done. If there's anything lacking then it should be added the HTML or JS or the browser backbone tot he system.
        Doesn't help with existing content. It's easy to say "use HTML and Javascript", but that's not very useful advice when the application is already built in Java or Flash.

Comment

If flash is dying, then the question is what video/audio codecs are used? Vorbis is better than Mp3, but not better than AAC Professional. If/when ghost comes out, it'll simply blow all of the competition out of the water. Video on the other hand could be a problem. h.364 is better than VP8 and the successor to h.364 is being worked on. We need a better open source and patent free video codec so we can comfortably dominate and then the html5 conversion would be far less messy. Our hopes seem to lie with daala.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
            Give me a break, what a fucking hyperbole. Adobe did not announce any plans to "abandon Flash on Linux". They want to phase out the old plugin API, over the course of 5 years.

I can only recommend everyone to use adblock on Phoronix. Michael does not deserve any money for bullshit like this.
            Well, what is "flash"? It is a plugin.
            What is "phase out the old plugin API, over the course of 5 years." - it is "phase out flash over the course of 5 years."

What is "phase out"? AMD is phasing out cards, how? No driver updates. And when no new cards are produced - no newer driver and * it is same as abadoning *

Why is "old plugin API" = "flash"? Because they stated they are not going to develop "new plugin API", but make google do that.

This is why adobe is going to *abadon* *flash* on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
              If flash is dying, then the question is what video/audio codecs are used? Vorbis is better than Mp3, but not better than AAC Professional.

http://wiki.xiph.org/Daala
              Vorbis is already better, even if it *were* equal to mp3. Vorbis is free. AAC Professional? Seriosly? You need more than *professional* in your title to compensate for that price.

Comment

Why don't distros install GNASH or Llightspark by default???

Ubuntu, Fedora and Suse pride themselves on having only FOSS software. But why don't they include GNASH and/or LIGHTSPARK in their default installations? They don't have to install US-patented codecs, just the players. It seems that these distros are actually pushing people to install Adobe Flash rather than the FOSS alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  AAC Professional? Seriosly? You need more than *professional* in your title to compensate for that price.
                  How about "Ultimate"? It worked for Redmond.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
                    Ubuntu, Fedora and Suse pride themselves on having only FOSS software.
                    No, they don't. Not really. Being afraid of getting sued is not something to be proud of. It's not something to be ashamed of either, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
                      But why don't they include GNASH
                      I haven't tried Gnash in the last year, but last time I did, it wasn't a drop-in replacement for flash yet. Some stuff wouldn't work and other stuff would run slow. Since flash is an end-user facing technology, it has to just work, otherwise it will reflect negatively in the image that users have of the Linux desktop system.

So, has anybody tried Gnash recently? Has it matured? Is it stable and feature complete enough to replace Adobe's flash plugin now?

Comment

Working...
                      X