Adobe Announces Plans To Abandon Flash On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdx
    Great, I don't install Flash on my systems anymore, and I remove it everywhere I see it. I have been using HTML5 instead, I also use mplayer and youtube-dl for videos sometimes...Flash is a piece of crap, I hope it dies already.
    Maybe it's not so damaging news as we could benefit by being more aimed at HTML5, and use the likes of Gnash if there is that odd web-page that displays some flash.

I think Abode will be the loser here.

Comment

Originally posted by enrico.tagliavini View Post
      Ehm no. icedtea is an nsplugin.... otherwise how can it work in firefox? I don't know if they are working on a PPAPI version. Anyway why not fix/enhance NPAPI? Why don't develop something other browser vendor are interested in?
      I'd be happy is Java was dropped too. We have HTML5 and Javascript to get most things done. If there's anything lacking then it should be added the HTML or JS or the browser backbone tot he system.

Comment

To be fair to Google, NPAPI does suck and everyone knows it

I believe the Firefox argument is that even though it sucks, they want to focus on HTML5 rather than spending lots of time creating a new API for 3rd party binary plugins. Which is also a reasonable stance.

Comment

Not so much time

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          It's really about time:
          http://www.youtube.com/html5
          I'm using Iceweasel, Chrome with flash to browse sites like facebook, gmail or anyone heavy in javascript. But some days I browse the web using Midori with Netscape plugins deactivated (allways deactivated). Since January I found that youtube detects if your browser doesn't have flash but html5 and it kindly loads the html5 control in any page instead of the flash one. All this without the need to register for html5 experiments or the like. Midori it's way more stable when Netscape plugins are deactivated. Still dies unexpectedly at some point, but with each release of Midori and libwebkitgtk it only becomes better. I think this promising browser deserves more than a try.

Comment

Adobe is going to abandon flash anyway, and I hardly see the need for it in the long run.

Comment

Can't say I'm surprised. With 11.0, they outright dropped video acceleration support for non-whitelisted graphics cards on Linux, and before that they release Wallaby, which converts flash files to HTML5. So it seems to me that Adobe themselves think that Flash is dated.

Hmm, even at this point Lightspark + Gnash seems to be a good alternative, even with some hardware acceleration.

Comment

Give me a break, what a fucking hyperbole. Adobe did not announce any plans to "abandon Flash on Linux". They want to phase out the old plugin API, over the course of 5 years.

I can only recommend everyone to use adblock on Phoronix. Michael does not deserve any money for bullshit like this.

Comment

I can understand people not really liking this decision but saying stuff like "Fuck adobe, all they produce is bullshit" will not make it go away and only makes you an idiot.

Even some of those who prefer HTML5 seem to be against this, which is even stupider. If this will make at least linux(/android) users move away from Flash to HTML5/Canvas, then what's the problem?

If Flash sucks then how is abandoning it a bad thing? Because you're Windows friends will pick on you about it? Yeah, well, that certainly sounds like a valid reason for a company.

Go pick some new friends from the streets and tell them how great Canvas really is.
                  Last edited by ArchLinux; 22 February 2012, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                    Give me a break, what a fucking hyperbole. Adobe did not announce any plans to "abandon Flash on Linux". They want to phase out the old plugin API, over the course of 5 years.

I can only recommend everyone to use adblock on Phoronix. Michael does not deserve any money for bullshit like this.
                    Yeah my takeaway from the announcement is proof that -- yet again -- Linux is ahead of the game when compared to other platforms. Adobe has been saying for some time now that Flash is going the way of the dodo bird and will eventually be phased out and replaced by other technologies. So once again the next tech will be already running on Linux while the Windows XP folks struggle with Flash for the next decade.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                      I'd be happy is Java was dropped too. We have HTML5 and Javascript to get most things done. If there's anything lacking then it should be added the HTML or JS or the browser backbone tot he system.
                      What's Java got to do with anything?

Comment

Working...
                      X