Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After BFS, Now Comes The BLD Linux Scheduler

Phoronix: After BFS, Now Comes The BLD Linux Scheduler

Adding to the already existing Linux schedulers, including the out-of-tree Brain Fuck Scheduler (BFS), is now a proposal to integrate a new scheduler... The Barbershop Load Distribution scheduler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by TFA
    Please be patient if you
    started to feel disgusting.
    I laughed.

Comment

This isn't a scheduler. Why is the article claiming that it is? Please correct the article. It's a load balancing algorithm for the existing CPU scheduler.

Comment

I like dev's imagination when it come to name their project

Comment

Wow. The credibility of Phoronix hits a new low?

Comment

Could you elaborate on this new algorithm vs. new scheduler topic?

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
              Could you elaborate on this new algorithm vs. new scheduler topic?
              The load distribution algorithm is *part of* the scheduler. The part that determines how the current workload is distributed across multiple processing cores. It has no context on single-core systems, which STILL need a process scheduler in order to provide every process with running time... i.e., you run this process for a bit, then you switch to this process, then another process, now back to the first one, etc. With multiple processing cores, you need to distribute your work across all the cores... when the system is fairly loaded. One of the things that this is doing is (I've only skimmed everything, so I might be off a bit) apparenty cutting out the part about even distribution across all cores when the work load is low. If you have an 8 core system and only enough work is being done to load 1 core by 5%, what's the use in distributing the workload evenly across all 8 cores?

Comment

Working...
              X