PulseAudio Ported To Android, Compared To AudioFlinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    But for DAW-like programs on a phone (which sounds crazy in the first place but whatever)
    It sounds crazy on phones, but not on tablets which are the usual target devices for such apps.

Comment

It would be awesome if someday Android moved closer to standard Linux stack with likes of pulseaudio, systemd and Wayland. As Tizen will likely use these technologies it provides good comparison in performance and features. I guess only future will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        Now if it could get attention of Google.
        Or cyanogenmod. It might be more likely to see it there rather than stock android since they don't have anything personally invested in AudioFlinger, even more so if it can act as an api-compatible drop-in replacement.

Comment

Ha!

Where are all the naysayers complaining about using a server for audio now? This doesn't look like the typical PA related thread at all. Very strange.

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
          But for DAW-like programs on a phone (...) if you start to multi-task at all you'll get clicks and pops on a single-core CPU (or maybe even a dual-core CPU if you're doing heavy 3d compositing while multi-tasking).
          Lol Good one! Maybe in 5-10 more years we'll be doing all that on phones

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            Ha!

Where are all the naysayers complaining about using a server for audio now? This doesn't look like the typical PA related thread at all. Very strange.
            I was thinking exactly the same thing. It's rare that you get an article saying so many positive things about PA but you can't really argue with those kinds of results.

Comment

I'm a little curious how much disk space this uses

I wouldn't think it would be enough to matter, even on a phone, but I'm not sure how many different dependencies PA relies on.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                It would be awesome if someday Android moved closer to standard Linux stack with likes of pulseaudio, systemd and Wayland. As Tizen will likely use these technologies it provides good comparison in performance and features. I guess only future will tell.
                Wayland maybe, but Pulseaudio and SystemD are nasty ugly things that need to die a fast death.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  I wouldn't think it would be enough to matter, even on a phone, but I'm not sure how many different dependencies PA relies on.
                  The following is from Gentoo. The first one is Gentoo-specific. Most of them are optional. I suspect many of these are present on Android anyway. So it's not as bad as you might think.

Code:
                  RDEPEND="app-admin/eselect-esd
                          X? (
                                  >=x11-libs/libX11-1.4.0
                                  >=x11-libs/libxcb-1.6
                                  >=x11-libs/xcb-util-0.3.1
                                  x11-libs/libSM
                                  x11-libs/libICE
                                  x11-libs/libXtst
                          )
                          caps? ( sys-libs/libcap )
                          libsamplerate? ( >=media-libs/libsamplerate-0.1.1-r1 )
                          alsa? ( >=media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.19 )
                          glib? ( >=dev-libs/glib-2.4.0 )
                          avahi? ( >=net-dns/avahi-0.6.12[dbus] )
                          jack? ( >=media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.117 )
                          tcpd? ( sys-apps/tcp-wrappers )
                          lirc? ( app-misc/lirc )
                          dbus? ( >=sys-apps/dbus-1.0.0 )
                          gnome? ( >=gnome-base/gconf-2.4.0 )
                          bluetooth? (
                                  >=net-wireless/bluez-4
                                  >=sys-apps/dbus-1.0.0
                          )
                          asyncns? ( net-libs/libasyncns )
                          udev? ( || ( >=sys-fs/udev-171[hwdb] >=sys-fs/udev-143[extras] ) )
                          realtime? ( sys-auth/rtkit )
                          equalizer? ( sci-libs/fftw:3.0 )
                          orc? ( >=dev-lang/orc-0.4.9 )
                          >=media-libs/audiofile-0.2.6-r1
                          >=media-libs/speex-1.2_rc1
                          >=media-libs/libsndfile-1.0.20
                          sys-libs/gdbm
                          dev-libs/json-c
                          >=sys-devel/libtool-2.2.4" # it's a valid RDEPEND, libltdl.so is used

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                    Wayland maybe, but Pulseaudio and SystemD are nasty ugly things that need to die a fast death.
                    Yeah that makes sense... it's systemd by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post

One of the most stupid things I read. I didn't like PA in the past, but it's very good now. Like you can see it's very good on smartphones, too. systemd is simply brilliant unlike the mess like sysvinit.

Comment

Working...
                      X