Linux Zcache Now Handles Crypto Compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
    Do you think that there will be Zcache benchmarks? Thats interesting. I know that IBM never releases Mainframe benchmarks, because IBM does not want people to know how slow the cpus actually are. For instance, you will never find any SPEC_INT benchmarks for Mainframes. Then you could compare a normal x86 cpu, vs a Mainframe, and you will see that the Mainframe is way slower.
    This is unrelated to IBM. Also I think some are confusing zcache with zram, IIRC only zram is available in the CM rom. Zram on its own is very useful on low-ram systems though, I should know.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      This is unrelated to IBM. Also I think some are confusing zcache with zram, IIRC only zram is available in the CM rom. Zram on its own is very useful on low-ram systems though, I should know.
      Isn't zram that new memory tech?
      Zcache, I thought, was a user of transcendental memory with the addition of compression.

Comment

Badly chosen name just like DRM

zram in the kernel == lzo-compressed ram disk, usually used for swap. zcache as I understand it enables the compression of caches like the various filesystem caches. That it's on top of transcendental memory is just coincidence, the first versions weren't (IIRC).

Comment

I'm pleased with the results. I've been using this machine to run a Minecraft server while playing on it at the same time. Since using Bukkit (server mod), the RAM usage has been a bit heavier and it's started hitting swap, resulting in nasty slow downs. I tried it just now with zcache enabled and it didn't hit swap once.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Badly chosen name just like DRM

zram in the kernel == lzo-compressed ram disk, usually used for swap. zcache as I understand it enables the compression of caches like the various filesystem caches. That it's on top of transcendental memory is just coincidence, the first versions weren't (IIRC).
            Yeah, so they can do similar things but zram doesn't need the transcendental memory aspect (which is, IMHO, one of its --zcache-- big selling points).
            I was thinking of this (http://lwn.net/Articles/397574/) and zram was mentioned in the comments (http://lwn.net/Articles/397894/).

Comment

Working...
            X