Qt 4.8 Draws In Platform Abstraction, New WebKit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    nope, the point of the licensing scheme is so that businesses or other entities that want to make proprietary changes to Qt for use in their software can, LGPL is for everyone else.

edit: I'd link you the licensing page where it says this but it's been moved over to digia which is currently giving a 404
    Then why not simply use BSD/MIT/Apache/etc and call it a day?
    The kind of dual licensing that is being mentioned here, with different code for each, makes me a bit nervous, and I don't use any qt code-based products. Frankly, it seems a bit opencore-ish.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      Then why not simply use BSD/MIT/Apache/etc and call it a day?
      The kind of dual licensing that is being mentioned here, with different code for each, makes me a bit nervous, and I don't use any qt code-based products. Frankly, it seems a bit opencore-ish.
      Likely the same reason that they've got the contributor agreement. They want people to use the LGPL licensed one but they currently have a contractual obligation to provide a version under a proprietary license. Hopefully this will change with Qt 5.x series.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
        Considering KDE is a segfaulting piece of c... it might as well just be easier to do a new KDEish desktop without Qt.
        KDE is not gnome that is rewritten every time when it becomes too huge and bloated. KDE's working perfect here.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          They cannot restrict the license, if they try it automatically gets release under an even more permissive BSD license.
          As far as I know it doesn't have to be bsd license, but it can be GPL as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            KDE is not gnome that is rewritten every time when it becomes too huge and bloated. KDE's working perfect here.
            So, they just rewrite when qt decides to change major versions? Does this occur less often than Gnome rewrites?
            From my experience KDE is less stable than Gnome (KDE3, strangely, was horrible for me -- I don't think it was ever stable enough to be usable with my hw; KDE4 has been better recently, but plasma is still pretty unstable).
            Dick measuring aside, it might be best for the kde community to fork qt for their own good, IF they are large enough, and skilled enough to handle it. KDE doesn't really need to care too much about other platforms, and if they started designing primarily for the linux desktop they might end up with something even more interesting (and less buggy, I would imagine). This is something Gnome has decided to do, and I think it for the best given developer resources.
            What are your thoughts?

Comment

I don't think there has ever been a full rewrite of KDE. Bits and pieces were rewritten for KDE SC 4, but not the whole thing.

With Qt switching to an open governance model, and increased modularity in both KDE and Qt, I don't see any advantage to a fork. The things they need in Qt they should have a much easier time pushing there, and if they can't (either because it isn't accepted or because of licensing issues) they can always create their own implementation, subclass, or mini-fork of whatever bits they need while still keeping everything else (KDE actually already does this in a bunch of cases, but they are trying to push those into Qt for Qt 5.0 and KDE frameworks 5). So they can continue using whatever parts of Qt they like, hopefully fix whatever parts are causing problems, and use their own versions if neither of those two options pan out for whatever reason. So what is the advantage of a fork?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                Dick measuring aside, it might be best for the kde community to fork qt for their own good, IF they are large enough, and skilled enough to handle it. KDE doesn't really need to care too much about other platforms, and if they started designing primarily for the linux desktop they might end up with something even more interesting (and less buggy, I would imagine).
                Obviously you've never heard of the KDE on windows http://windows.kde.org/ or KDE on Mac http://community.kde.org/Mac teams, or Plasma Active http://plasma-active.org/ . KDE isn't just going to go on the linux/*BSD desktop, KDE wants to go everywhere, and KDE going everywhere not only helps it's modularization but also brings in new developers to help make it better and more stable, and unlike Gnome, since KDE has Plasma they can actually pull this off with minimal development and maintenance cost with multiple dedicated UXes.

Comment

That's all fine and dandy, but nobody in their right mind is ever going to run KDE on anything other then on a BSD or Linux system. The only people that really care about that sort of thing are KDE developers that run OS X as their main desktops and whatnot.

It's nice, but it's not like it really is going to matter much to anybody except a tiny audience.

Comment

Qt is portable. If the KDE library's break this portability its harder to get application developer. As I see it, its not important that the desktop is portable but its very important that the libraries is.

Comment

LOL

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      Likely the same reason that they've got the contributor agreement. They want people to use the LGPL licensed one but they currently have a contractual obligation to provide a version under a proprietary license. Hopefully this will change with Qt 5.x series.
                      LOL. Nokia was no way forced to make an agreement with Digia! No one is forcing anything on Nokia, they decide for them self. And why is that so? It is because they are entitled to. They get a very broad license when people contribute to Qt. This is not gonna change for 5.0, it will only get worse. This is their business model after all. Talk about freedom, scoop broad license, sell the commerciel opencore stuff through Digia.

And no, Digia is NOT sorry about the poor upstream management that left out the "118 additional improvements". Digia is f....ing advertising it!

It is official now: The Microsoft strategic partner, Nokia, just allowed closed-source commercial opencore business of Qt.

What a dream come true for free software!!!! Just boycott Qt and the willingly from KDE who dont seem to a problem with this. This is ten timse worse than Mono.

Comment

Working...
                      X