Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What People Are Saying About GNOME [Part 5]

Phoronix: What People Are Saying About GNOME [Part 5]

The GNOME 2011 User Survey is about to end (the survey period was extended as I was out of the office the past two weeks), but here's the latest batch of one-thousand responses about the GNOME desktop. The survey responses in full from the other questions will be published soon.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

hmm?

could somebody please explain why that stuff is posted in the news section over and over again?
    If it would be some poll results i would be happy to read it, this this looks like artificially creating news/traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
      could somebody please explain why that stuff is posted in the news section over and over again?
      If it would be some poll results i would be happy to read it, this this looks like artificially creating news/traffic.
      Yeah and it is completely unreadable.

Comment

TL;DR

I've read them all, so let me summarize the responses for you (even if I don't completely agree):

"Gnome 3 sucks."

Comment

This survey tells more about the readers of Phoronix than Gnome. These people are disrespectful, inconsiderate, selfish and rude crowd of hateful lowlifes. I can't believe that _anyone_ would take these people seriously and I hope that Gnome developers can see this as what it's or even better, avoid it completely. It's unfortunate that Phoronix has sunk so low to publish such garbage. This is disgrace to FOSS community...

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
            This survey tells more about the readers of Phoronix than Gnome. These people are disrespectful, inconsiderate, selfish and rude crowd of hateful lowlifes. I can't believe that _anyone_ would take these people seriously and I hope that Gnome developers can see this as what it's or even better, avoid it completely. It's unfortunate that Phoronix has sunk so low to publish such garbage. This is disgrace to FOSS community...
            I agree.

But at the same time, I don't think there was ever any actual danger of the Gnome devs listening to their users.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
              The typical fanboy stubborness... Take your head out of your ass and try to understand rants before ranting about the rants xDDDD.

If Shell Devs and designers would heard users first, today's anger would have been a little rant only. They had two years with the 2,9x testing and this whole year with the 3.0 and 3.2 versions. THREE YEARS to hear users.

What we have now? Impositions, users must follow the "Great GNOME leaders way" without discussion.

People is disrespectful with GS because Devs and Designers are disrespectful with them... Are you against a STUPID design decision with good manners -example: Suspend only option -? Censorship, exclusion, bad manners and bugzilla account suspension warnings... They deserve all this hate and bad words because they did the GS design and implementation outside the users community.

What do they want for their stravaganzas and bad design decisions, flowers? Come on...

THIS ATTITUDE IS THE REAL DISGRACE FOR FOSS COMMUNITY - and old GNOME tradition -.Learn about all the people out there that consider GS a failure or a half baked desktop, instead of calling their opinions garbage.

Comment

Did anyone actually read all these responses (and if so, what's wrong with them)? It's a completely new design, so there are going to be lots of medium and small bugs right now. If you don't like GNOME 3, either use something else or work to make it better.. Mint 12 shows the most promise so far with their custom extensions, but it still leaves one with the feeling of using two different GUI paradigms melted together. I hope G3 will be more usable by 3.4 or 3.6 at the worst.

Comment

Upgrading to Gnome 3 is like your wife getting a sex change without asking you. The woman you fell in love with is gone, you're never going to get her back, and now you need a divorce.

Comment

Gnome 3 has a Fallback mode which feels exactly like old Gnome 2.x so I don't understand why so many people are crying about. Anyway I don't mind the new interface, what I do not want is a buggy DE. Gnome 3.x is for now the one that has had for me the least bugs when compared to others, in fallback mode I experience no bugs at all to be honest. Gnome 3.2 is a lot faster and I am really happy that the Gnome devs are taking serious actions against small yet ridiculous bugs in the activities overview, though I am yet waiting for a fix with the gnome panel so it'll stop overlaping the apps menus (which is my major complain against Gnome 3.x at all).
                    Last edited by josian_220; 04 December 2011, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X