• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic AMD FX-8150 With The Open64 5.0 Compiler

AMD FX-8150 With The Open64 5.0 Compiler

Phoronix: AMD FX-8150 With The Open64 5.0 Compiler

The Open64 5.0 compiler was released earlier this month with many changes, among the prominently noted items were greater optimizations for AMD's Bulldozer CPUs. In this article is a first-look at the Open64 5.0 compiler performance compared to its earlier release, as tested on an AMD FX-8150 eight-core "Bulldozer" processor.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16733

• Tgui
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    And get the k model, lose VT-d. The normal virtualization stuff is now mainstream enough for Intel to not remove it from random CPUs it seems, but for what is VT-d useful/needed?
    I really don't remember. In some cases I think there might have been performance hits using it. I can't site a source off the top off my head though. We aren't here to learn though, we're here to be pedantic and condescending. Stick to the guidelines.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Wikipedia:
    An input/output memory management unit (IOMMU) enables guest virtual machines to directly use peripheral devices, such as Ethernet, accelerated graphics cards, and hard-drive controllers, through DMA and interrupt remapping. This is sometimes called PCI passthrough.

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied
    Originally posted by Tgui View Post
    And get the k model, lose VT-d. The normal virtualization stuff is now mainstream enough for Intel to not remove it from random CPUs it seems, but for what is VT-d useful/needed?

Leave a comment:

• Tgui
    replied
    Originally posted by Tgui View Post
    You're a fool. Read the fucking page I linked you. Socket 1155 which is *gasp* a desktop part!

Core i5 2400, another resource.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115074

Core i5 2500, with VT-x and VT-d
    http://ark.intel.com/products/52209/...ache-3_30-GHz)

Its obvious you're getting torn up in here because you're just too stupid to hang. ;-)

FWIW, I have a Core i5 2400 in my media server right now. Without any copious amounts of research, I easily determined it supported the VM functionality I wanted.
    EDIT: Oh, and I got my Core i5 2400 a month ago from Microcenter for $149, not just barely under $200. Its still priced at that as well.

Leave a comment:

• Tgui
    replied
    Originally posted by leeenux View Post
    Nice one, buddy. You found a mobile part with both enabled, and it's just barely under $200. I was using the logical choice, the Core i5 2500 desktop part as a point of reference. I wonder how much research you had to do to figure out that some of those mobile parts did have both enabled? At any rate, being a mobile part, the laptop vendor will probably take the liberty of disabling that VT-whatever for you, and removing the BIOS option to enable it, so it's kind of a moot point. Let's stick to desktop CPUs.
    You're a fool. Read the fucking page I linked you. Socket 1155 which is *gasp* a desktop part!

Core i5 2400, another resource.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115074

Core i5 2500, with VT-x and VT-d
    http://ark.intel.com/products/52209/...ache-3_30-GHz)

Its obvious you're getting torn up in here because you're just too stupid to hang. ;-)

FWIW, I have a Core i5 2400 in my media server right now. Without any copious amounts of research, I easily determined it supported the VM functionality I wanted.

Leave a comment:

• linux5850
    replied
    Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
    And telling people, they have to buy AMD, is no terrorism?
    Power consumption is a matter. I live in Germany, I pay 0.25?/kWh (~0.338USD).
    Of course you do now that Merkel was stupid enough to shut down Germany's nuclear power plants. (no offense)

Leave a comment:

• schmalzler
    replied
    And telling people, they have to buy AMD, is no terrorism?
    Power consumption is a matter. I live in Germany, I pay 0.25?/kWh (~0.338USD). I did many calculations on currently (say: august until mid of october) available data, including the first BD-benches on those "bad" sites (anadtech, tomshardware etc.) - Taking the (at that moment) current workload, only the additional costs for electricity would give me a new SandyBridge i7, if things get worse even a i7 + Mainboard! This calulation was done for the usage time of 5 years (that's the minimum). So running the SNB for 5 years instead of BD gives me a new CPU for free! This calculation was based on the hope, that I would get a AM3+-Board with onBoard-GPU. As there is nothing like that ATM, There are further ?30++ for a dGPU, further costs for power consumption. The i7 95W TDP are CPU+GPU, BDs 125 are CPU-only. So there are not only 30W more on the BD-side (read: by TDP, the actual plus in consumption is a different story), but >50W (depending on the GPU chosen).
    And saying "hoo, the rest of my household appliances isn't powerefficient, so buying a power efficient PC is useless" is sort of stupid. If I can save good money with only one machine, I will do it.
    BTW: 3000W for your oven is quite a lot. Mine (a Miele) uses 1000W, only takes ~5min. from 20?C to 250?C, and the big rest of the usage time it "idles". Using SB instead of BD gives me 1-2 big loafs of bread (self-baken) per week for free - incl. ingredients.

And now, I stop this useless discussion. Never wanted to start a flamewar, my first post in this thread was only about the uselessness of both "benchmarks" (running only one app vs. running as many CPU/GPU-intensive tasks as you can). It was last year, when I said, I need a new PC in 2011. All the months, I said "wait for BD...". BD was not what I expected, so I went for SB... i7 for 245?, and BD? 230? for the 8150. And it is not available. So even if I would have gone for BD, I would not have been able to buy one... (Only the 4100 is available here, some shops also offer the 6100. All others are "Ohne Liefertermin"). It was my decision, I am happy with it, nevertheless I will recommend AMD-based systems when it is appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    At least nowadays they have the decency to include vt-x in most models. In the C2D range the exact same model came with all three combinations:

http://ark.intel.com/products/36500/...-1066-MHz-FSB)

Leave a comment:

• Qaridarium
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Regarding Intels and virtualization, at least for the 2500/2600 the normal models have both vt-x and vt-d, the k models only vt-x.
    this is just intel terrorism! just buy a amd black edition then you do have "K-Model"+"VT-D"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X