What People Are Saying About GNOME [Part 3]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choice or No Choice

The Developer isn't giving you a choice.
    The Distribution isn't giving you a choice.
    Where have we seen this before?

KDE, GNOME, and everyone else know that distributions are just going to include whatever is the latest.

This isn't a hobby anymore guys.
    It's enterprise.

Comment

Originally posted by josian_220 View Post
      Gnome 3.2 feels definitively faster and much more polished, however some apps menus get hidden behind of the gnome-panel (gtk3 and firefox for instance), this issue IMHO is of big importance and should of have been fixed in 3.2 I mean even Gnome's own apps fall in this gap :/
      This is obviously a bug of Ubuntu's global menu implementation, nothing to do with Gnome.

Comment

Gnome3 and problems with many applications like Firefox etc

using Gnome 3.0.2-5 on Debian testing with a nvidia 7300GT card.
        I am adjusting to Gnome3 since other options are less as a Gnome2 user. I will try Xfce if it is really a promising alternative.

Now, the Problem with Gnome 3:
        many applications particularly eog,shotwell and iceweasel browser has problem rendering images. pages gets garbled and stuck/misaligned when I scroll through web page.

I tried avaialable choices like disabling sync to vblank in nvidia-settings, added
        Code:
        export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none
        to ~/.bashrc

this all failed.

Discussed this problem here. http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.p...8cc7778ef7117d

A Sample of What Happens when I scroll a web page like this forum for eg:

Anyone have any Clue what is Happening? Note that I have had no issue with Gnome2 or in Gnome fallback mode(and with compiz). direct rendering everything working fine.

Comment

I think you should update to Gnome 3.2. I don't have any issue with the nvidia proprietary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            I don't like the way any of the NEW desktops on any OS work, Perhaps it's just because I've been using comps since the Apple IIe back in grade school, but I hate it when the UI doesn't do what is logically expected of it as it had always done for decades before.
            This is why I'm pulling for projects like Mate, for those of us that hate the iOSification of the desktop computer. We shall exist just as those that will use nothing but the terminal.
            Such design starteed much before IOS. At least, I remember the SLAB menu on openSUSE.

Now I can understand some people like you don't like change, but don't you think it is very personal ? And that it is impossible to make everyone happy ?
            Many improvements (in any field) would have never happened without changing habits. Innovate or die, that's the rule in terms of market share. There are many people (developers, designers and users) who thought it was time for some change.
            That's life and we are many liking it.

Comment

I don't like the words hate or hater. Whenever someone uses one of them, to me, it means they know I'm right and don't want to admit it because it angers them.

When I first got into Linux I was a KDE3 user. Eventually I went to Gnome 2 in search of a bit more simplicity. I really liked Gnome 2 and have been an Ubuntu user since the 4.10 days. I have tried many other desktops: Unity, XFCE, LXDE and Gnome Shell to name a few. I can use them all, but Unity seems to be the one that feels most like Gnome 2. Sure it is different, but those differences don't feel drastic to me.

Gnome Shell feels drastically different in critical ways, such as the activities/desktops metaphor, and hinders my productivity. Sure I can tweak it, but that doesn't fix some of it's inherent design choices that seem to be annoying a large majority of people including me.

I think the backlash against Gnome Shell is that people had highly functional desktops running Gnome 2 and Gnome 3 blew that out of the water. They don't have a clear upgrade path that provides similar a experience or functionality and are left with changing DE's or having to adapt to Gnome Shell, which seems to be proving problematic for a lot of people. This is why so many comparisons are made to Gnome 2; it's what people have been using and have become accustomed to. It's not fair to say, "here are the new desktops, stop being so old and stuck in your ways."

Emotions run high in these types of talks and it's understandable. Criticism should always be taken with a grain of salt, but never unilaterally dismissed as baseless. Buried under the strongly worded Gnome Shell protests is some real truth, just as their is when assessing any desktop environment.

Comment

I feel so much hate in me I think I'm gonna explode

I still don't understand why gnome community have not make its best to ease the transition. Introducing a gnome2-like destop compatible with gtk3 then offering gnome-shell. They didn't really take the time to make it clear to old users that gtk2 and every gnome gtk2 applications (including gnome2) were not supported anymore from april 2011.

One example of miscommunication from one gnome hacker :
                With GNOME 3, we obviously recommend to users that they should use (and at least try for a few days, it's usually enough to get addicted) our new interface, based on GNOME Shell.

Comment

Originally posted by rafirafi View Post
                  I still don't understand why gnome community have not make its best to ease the transition. Introducing a gnome2-like destop compatible with gtk3 then offering gnome-shell. They didn't really take the time to make it clear to old users that gtk2 and every gnome gtk2 applications (including gnome2) were not supported anymore from april 2011.
                  This is precisely what they did. GTK3 libs started entering into G2 at least 2 years ago. There's an entire page talking about the switch over on Gnome 2.28 and that came out in what 2009? They had discussions on the implementation of GTK3 a good 6 months to a year before that. How slow do you want them to go? It seems to me that people wanted Gnome to never change, to be frozen in time, which would have been perfect because these same people were moving over to KDE because it was so new and fresh and because of the changes it brought.

So far I haven't seen a post so far that has identified a problem with GS itself (aside from the fair criticism of updates to well known apps). I've seen posts around Global Menu (which is Unity). I've seen the nebulous argument about loss of productivity without much explanation as to how. Loss in customisability compared to G2 I'll give you, but productivity? Nope. Last time I checked gnome-panel itself wasn't a application that directly helped me with getting work done. Vim? yes. Firefox? yes. Virtualbox/KVM? yes. Terminal? yup. Nautilus? You betcha. Remote Desktop? Couldn't live without it. Apache? Ya damn right. Gnome-Panel.....??! Are you serious? I'm pretty sure my boss would be pissed if I spent all day adding widgets and applets to Gnome panel all day, or hovered in the Gnome menu without actually opening the application I needed to be working in.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                    The fact that they do it for free means that they are in no way responsible for you. Simple as that.
                    Wrong, If they wanted to reinvent the wheel again they should have started a side project. One would think that both they and us want to see Linux succeed, but they don't seem to want it to.

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
                    The Developer isn't giving you a choice.
                    The Distribution isn't giving you a choice.
                    Where have we seen this before?

KDE, GNOME, and everyone else know that distributions are just going to include whatever is the latest.

This isn't a hobby anymore guys.
                    It's enterprise.

Comment

Some One Pointed out...

... that recently there have been many add-on's for gnome 3. I admit I have not given gnome 3.2 a fair shake. I took one look and it *LOOKED* and felt the same, so I said to myself "been there tried hard, NOPE". So, in fairness, I will give gnome 3.2 another try. The default honestly sucks, I just can not get down to business with it as it ships in fedora 16. So far my impression of Gnome 3 is "Lets fight bitch!" /sigh ...

You can call me old if you wish, and you can call me stuck in my ways. I hated XP's fischer price gui... it dumbed things down and moved stuff into really odd places. I spent more time trying to re-find functionality than I did getting stuff done. I loved Windows 2000, every thing just seemed to jump right out at me and say "here I am, use me"... and that was not because I had years of training in using Win2k. It was that way from day 1, the very first time I used it, it was easy to use, made sense, and stayed The Hell Out Of My Way

Then came Vista... hey MS finally admitted it sucked, and they very rapidly changed it to Win7 which is much better. I actually kind of like Win7. Don't get me wrong, I do not love Win7 but it is decent. Now Win8 has all kinds of folks up in arms again, so it will be interesting to see what MS does there.

By the way, if you think Gnome 3 is produced by folks who do not get paid to produce it, you may want to go take another look. There ARE people whose opinions count towards what gnome 3 is, and what it will become. Those same people sign pay checks that find their way into the hands of gnome devs in a straight up and transparent fashion. All you need to do is go look. Do a google lookup "Paid Gnome Developement" ... second on the list you will find a PDF.

Comment

Working...
                      X