No announcement yet.

What People Are Saying About GNOME [Part 3]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GNOME Shell and Unity are a bad joke, and a cruel farce, respectively.

Comment

Ah yes, just because I choose to be vulgar I'm always going to be wrong? I like many others told them what we didn't like ever since the first preview images of Gnome3, at this point I at least couldn't possibly have any more contempt for them.

What they should have done if they where going to make something so single task/tablet oriented was to make it a separate affiliated project and treated "fallback mode" as a direct drop in replacement for Gnome2 to be kept on as the default UI for everyone. Things like hiding the power button are just proof of how asinine their decision making process is, as if nobody ever has to power off their machine for any reason? Do they think that nobody that uses Gnome will ever have to upgrade hardware or even just need to move their machine to a different room?

If they wanted to do something "new and innovative" they should have bucked the trend of dumbing down everything to the point that even non geek users don't like it and instead focused on improving what they already had.

And don't bother saying "well if you hate shell so much just use fallback" because Fallback doesn't work and is only temporary. Those of use that are so vocal about Gnome2 are so because we actually liked using it, personally I've tried XFCE, KDE, LXDE, Enlightenment, IceWM, FluxBox and Unity, the only one of those I liked using was KDE, but only before KDE4, everything else either gets in the way or is incomplete.

So https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE_covmW9vY

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        Ah yes, just because I choose to be vulgar I'm always going to be wrong?
        The problem here is your incapability to compromise. If you think that everything else is crap except Gnome 2 no matter how close they come and that it's just to say that people who most of which develope on their free time and unpaid deserve to die and burn in hell because they don't do exactly what you want them to do then you are simply a bad person.

Comment

Don't need to be an exact replica ...

Would you like to hear something hilarious? Window 7 vaguely reminds me of GNOME 1.x!! Many consider Win7 interface to be a good balance of usability currently, which is why I mention it. In my mind if they took some of the elements of Gnome 1.x and many of the elements of Gnome 2.x, then mixed in a *FEW* of the gnome 3 elements with a lot of the Gnome 3 underlying tech they would most likely come up with a *new* interface that would do quite well!

To put it mildly I have tried to like Gnome 3, and it gets Right In My Way and STAYS there! For those of you who say "oh but it helps me focus"... I am glad you like it, you however, seem to be the minority. For every 1 person who says they actually Like Gnome 3, there are ...oh gosh... what about a thousand?...or more who say they do not like it. I really tried!

In fact, I am bouncing between XFCE and KDE 4 because of what has occured with Gnome. I have not tried the Trinity Project yet, but if KDE4 annoys me enough, I will certainly do so. Back in the day I actually slightly preffered KDE3 to Gnome2, note I said Slightly.. I used both, on different work stations, for different reasons.

Have a good one!

Comment

You are overreacting. There are many people who like Gnome 3. Like always, like in real life, those who complain are just much noisier.

What is so terrible in Gnome 3 ? Seriously ? There are still windows and desktops, with the same apps. It is stable, light and fast. Ok, you have to change your habits and some things are different or possibly require more efforts while others are more intuitive. Is it the end of the world ? No. Don't tell me that it prevents you to work.

And on top of that with a little customization and some extensions, you can give it almost any shape you like.
            And if you still don't like it, there is choice. So why so much hate ?

Comment

So what is Phoronix going to do about improving gnome now that they have harvested all this valuable data from us?

Comment

Sorry but I like Gnome 3. I do agree with the previous comment that Nautilus needs some love. That aside, many of the previous problems with gnome-panel getting in the way of full screen apps don't happen any more. I no longer have to screw around with compiz to get apps to behave properly. Nor deal with beryl crashing or metacity crapping out. All of those crappy problems are gone. It feels even more stable and polished than G2.

In terms of Gnome 3 "getting in the way" sorry I don't see it. My work happens in the application(s) or terminal not in the overlay menu. If I need a bottom panel, well I can choose out of the millions that are available in repo (they worked better than the default gnome-panel anyway and I installed them in G2 as well). It's just not the end of the world, and it definitely doesn't keep me from working, much less "get in my way".

Comment

How about a similiar poll for KDE

If you haven't done it yet can you do a poll of KDE4. My guess is that the emotional reply from frustrated and ignored KDE users would make Gnome feel pretty good about the negative responses found in this thread. What is it with Linux desktops? There seems to be a race to the bottom in making something users want in a Linux desktop. Seems they all aspire to be like Windows or Mac. Listen up KDE and Gnome, if your users wanted what's on Windows and Mac they'd be on those OS's. Your never going to win the simple casual user, nor should you try. Your customer is the educated power user who chooses Linux for a number of reasons, none of which have anything to do with all the nauseating eye candy you strive for. Focus your energy on doing something less and doing it very very well. Instead of adding more code bloat and dependencies on alpha and beta libraries start ripping them out. Strive for a desktop that boots in 5 seconds instead of 50. Please Fedora, Ubuntu, Open Susa, and other distributions - go to bat for your users here.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                    The problem here is your incapability to compromise. If you think that everything else is crap except Gnome 2 no matter how close they come and that it's just to say that people who most of which develope on their free time and unpaid deserve to die and burn in hell because they don't do exactly what you want them to do then you are simply a bad person.
                    They didn't compromise and still refuse to, so why should I? They didn't consult their user base and still refuse to. That they do it for free is a straw man since nobody forced them to do the work but then nobody asked them either just as they didn't ask us what we would prefer but we know now what they're going to force upon us because of what they refuse to continue support for.

I hate the new Firefox UI, but at least the functionality is still there for me to restore the original look and feel of version 3.5 while retaining all the new features of version 8. The same can not be said of Gnome3 or it's Fallback mode.

As I've said, I've tried the rest, they don't have to be Gnome2, they done have to be KDE3, they just have to at least be as coherent as OSX 10.0~10.6 or Win 95~XP Classic. I don't like the way any of the NEW desktops on any OS work, Perhaps it's just because I've been using comps since the Apple IIe back in grade school, but I hate it when the UI doesn't do what is logically expected of it as it had always done for decades before.

This is why I'm pulling for projects like Mate, for those of us that hate the iOSification of the desktop computer. We shall exist just as those that will use nothing but the terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                      That they do it for free is a straw man since nobody forced them to do the work but then nobody asked them either just as they didn't ask us what we would prefer but we know now what they're going to force upon us because of what they refuse to continue support for.
                      The fact that they do it for free means that they are in no way responsible for you. Simple as that.

Comment

Working...
                      X