Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What People Are Saying About GNOME [Part 2]

Phoronix: What People Are Saying About GNOME [Part 2]

A few days ago I shared the first one thousand comments about the GNOME desktop from the 2011 GNOME User Survey. Here's now the next set of one thousand comments concerning the state of GNOME in the eyes of end-users.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Moronix' cynical exercise in futility

This exercise is turning out to be even more useless than I originally anticipated. The signal to noise ratio is shockingly poor. It would take far too much effort to extract any helpful, or even meaningful suggestions from the vast, bloated pool of raving, raging, slobbering toxic bile that you apparently propose we should accept as a "survey".

No, sorry, not even close. Put it out of our misery, please.

Comment

This is so much wasted energy. No one will read it.

Comment

tl;dr

But got an idea of what GNOME techie users think about GNOME.

/me starts KDE :]

Comment

I had a dream recently - GNOME developers ditched GTK altogether and implemented Gnome Shell as a KDE Plasma interface. Everything was configurable, people could switch interfaces and alter them the way they wanted, everyone was pretty much happy. Too bad it was just a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded211 View Post
            I had a dream recently - GNOME developers ditched GTK altogether and implemented Gnome Shell as a KDE Plasma interface. Everything was configurable, people could switch interfaces and alter them the way they wanted, everyone was pretty much happy. Too bad it was just a dream.
            Somebody will have to teach them how to code in C++.

Comment

I do not get some of the responses saying that "GNOME should become exactly like LXDE" or "GNOME should become exactly like XFCE" or "GNOME should become exactly like KDE". If you prefer those desktops, why don't you just use them instead?

Comment

Better article this time, you didn't just pick flamebait comments .

Anyway regarding comment:
                1021: 1. allow ALL the same customization options for gnome-panel from gnome2 in gnome3 fallback mode.

2. see 1

3. see 1

If gnome3 is intended for desktops, make it function like a desktop environment.

What you guy have is a TABLET interface.
                Its a pain in the ass to use with a mouse.

Actually, I don't care anymore.
                I'm glad you made G3 so unusable that I've tried alternatives.
                XFCE is exactly what I want.

ALT + RIGHT CLICK ON THE PANEL! It does have almost all the same customizability gnome 2 panel had.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded211 View Post
                  Sounds like a nightmare, it would turn gnome-shell from being fast/stable (although lacking features) into a buggy slow mess!

I kid, I kid. But I do personally like gnome-shells current implementation. And it actually IS farily customizable with themes and extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                    Better article this time, you didn't just pick flamebait comments .
                    Well, to be fair, with these articles I was under the impression he was just posting what he had, instead of selecting what to post.

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                    ALT + RIGHT CLICK ON THE PANEL! It does have almost all the same customizability gnome 2 panel had.
                    Yes, I will be glad when that misunderstanding is finally laid to rest. Especially since there was at-least one function (dragging of panels) which was already hidden behind the same modifier in later versions of Gnome 2.x.

Gnome 3.2 has all of the official Gnome 2.x applets ported over as well and the unfortunate Num/Caps/Scroll lock bug with the Alt modifier has been fixed, and we now have word from the developers that the Fallback mode is here to stay, so there is very little to complain about.

I just wish the authors of the GNOME Sensors Applet would port it over from Bonobo to the new system.

Comment

Working...
                    X