Pushing Reiser4 Is "Not Of High Priority"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
    And like most males, the ability to be almost schizophrenic at will.
    Wow are you hanging around with the wrong crowd if you think "most males" are schizophrenic at will (trust me, I have dealt with actual people diagosed with schizophrenia).

Comment

Reiser IV. Sounds like a bad horror movie title.

Comment

Main purpose of reiser4 was preparation for reiser5: Semantic data structuring per filesystem. This would have been the ground setting where ai could florish.

On an google tech video I saw a talk about his vision: Like the container technology slim lined transportations by vanishing all media frictions, reiser4 can deliver the true unix philosophie as a filesystem: Everything is a file, even file attributes!

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
          Reiser IV. Sounds like a bad horror movie title.

I think I love you.

Comment

About btrfs

I want reiser4 for 3 reasons..
            * Compression (just think of all the header files in /usr/include and /usr/share/doc)
            * Not CoW (Copy on write)
            * btrfs is backed by Oracle. I really don't trust Oracle

Ext4's creator said that his fs is just something to use while waiting for btrfs.

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0 View Post
              * Compression (just think of all the header files in /usr/include and /usr/share/doc)
              Disk is cheap, and if you really want compression....
              1) most large file formats incorporate compression,
              2) you can apply a filesystem compression overlay.

FYI: those two paths, on my machine that I'm sitting at right now, consume under 1 GB of disk space. At last I checked, you could grab a 1 TB disk for about... $50. How much is this REALLY going to help you? Right... not worth the effort.

Eh?

btrfs is GPL and built into the Linux kernel. If oracle tries to screw the world, their contributions will simply be rejected. In other words, it doesn't matter if you don't trust them... there is nothing they can do.

FYI:
              Originally posted by Ted Tso
              people who really like reiser4 might want to take a
              look at btrfs; it has a number of the same design ideas that reiser3/4
              had --- except (a) the filesystem format has support for some advanced
              features that are designed to leapfrog ZFS, (b) the maintainer is not
              a crazy man and works well with other LKML developers (free hint: if
              your code needs to be reviewed to get in, and reviewers are scarce;
              don't insult and abuse the volunteer reviewers as Hans did --- Not a
              good plan!).

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                Disk is cheap, and if you really want compression....
                1) most large file formats incorporate compression,
                2) you can apply a filesystem compression overlay.

FYI: those two paths, on my machine that I'm sitting at right now, consume under 1 GB of disk space. At last I checked, you could grab a 1 TB disk for about... $50. How much is this REALLY going to help you? Right... not worth the effort.
                Nowadays compression is more about increased speed rather than saving space. With today's CPUs, compression overhead is negligible and it's much faster to read 10MB and uncompress it to 13MB than reading the original 13MB off the disk.

This point of view was even popularized by games which installed their data compressed in .pak files rather than uncompressed. People then unpacked those files and noticed that loading times increased by a quite big amount. Compression was making disk accesses faster. Executable packers like UPX also resulted in lower loading times when running big executables.

So compression is a cheap way to increased disk I/O speed.
                Last edited by RealNC; 18 October 2011, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0 View Post
                  While I don't agree to your points:
                  1 disk space not a matter of todays
                  2 CoW even better for lifetime of coming ssds, also I don't know how it is possible to edit a 4Gib video
                  3 mainline kernel modules are havy guarded, peer reviewed.

I wish we had reiser5 semantics in place:
                  The real potential of kde assistive features could florish, not having nepomuk and strigi to run crippled databases

Comment

Originally posted by ulenrich View Post
                    While I don't agree to your points:
                    1 disk space not a matter of todays
                    At least bother to read the post directly above yours :-/

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      At least bother to read the post directly above yours :-/
                      Look at the time stamps for the two posts.

Comment

Working...
                      X