The VirtualBox Kernel Driver Is Tainted Crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,
    we use Virtualbox 3.x branch on a CentOS 5 server since 3 years and we had zero problem with this setup. This server virtualizes about 10 virtual machines and at least 3 guests are heavy utilized (2 of them are Windows AD Controllers/fileserver and 1 is a Linux mailserver running Postfix).

While I can not directly comment on module quality of the new 4.x branch, I run some heavy benchmark on Virtualbox 4.0 and I didn't notice any instabilities. As a side note, performance wise it was mostly on-par with KVM (link: http://www.ilsistemista.net/index.ph...on-rhel-6.html).

So this position from the kernel community seems a bit strange to me...

Regards.

Comment

So VMware has a free solution with all or more of the same features as VirtualBox? If so, please link I'd like to check it out.

Comment

Linux-kvm ftw

Comment

Anyone know the status of KVM usb pass through support? Specifically at USB 2.0 transfer speeds. I googled around a little but could not find a definitive answer if it's implemented reliably or not.

Comment

Do they give it 5 pedobears rating?

Because it deserves a 10 pedobear rating.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperdriver View Post
              I hope RedHat honors the open source spirit and shares the bug reports and proposed solutions to the Virtualbox team for the greater good of most everyone.

/K
              Great point and this would be the best route to take. Hopefully all virtualization solutions can benefit from things like this so they can become better and as bug free as can be. Virtualization is a big thing and having solid VM tools is very important.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post
                Anyone know the status of KVM usb pass through support? Specifically at USB 2.0 transfer speeds. I googled around a little but could not find a definitive answer if it's implemented reliably or not.
                They are in the process of fixing the whole usb mess, including proper usb2 support. kvm 0.15 already includes some of that work. At least that's what I remember from the presentation slides of a kvm guy a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

The problem isn't virtual box, which runs phenominally well on windows platforms, the problem is that linux is a huge undocumented mess of spaghetti code.

Comment

Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
                    The problem isn't virtual box, which runs phenominally well on windows platforms, the problem is that linux is a huge undocumented mess of spaghetti code.
                    I disagree. VMware and Parallels both have to deal with that same "mess of spaghetti code" and still do a far better job.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post
                      USB1.1 only at the moment I belive. It works reasonably well. You can hot add a USB device in pass through mode. Removing it, for me, has caused plenty of issues. Even unmounting and ejecting it properly in the guest. If you need permanent USB pass through support, should work. Not expect to hotplug USB disks lots and not rebooting the guest inbetween.
                      Code:
                      husb: device 2.4 disconnected
                      for example was being spammed in my /var/log/lilbvirt/guest.log.

Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
                      And you base this on? Other OSes are less Spaghetti because you saw that code? You speak of the kernel and it's api's?

Comment

Working...
                      X