Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drag
    replied
    It depends on what you want. For some people running 'noatime' is unacceptable because the atime is data that is valuable for their specific purpose.

Btrfs is going to be a bit slower then Ext4 generally. Ext4 is a very fast FS, despite what the naysayers think. Especially when it comes to pure database purposes... the database uses directio which is something ext4 can be fantastic at...

That being said due to the features and extra levels of protection btrfs can offer then it's probably worth it to use it in the future. When btrfsck comes out then I will start taking btrfs more seriously.

Leave a comment:

• oliver
    replied
    Unacceptable I guess.

Even the most redundant raid6 super battery backed up with UPS, you can still have a kernel panic or some other crash. Unless you have decent backups, that can get you backup fast, nobarrier seems like a non-option to me imo.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
    So what kind of risks are you facing if using the "nobarrier" option?
    Data loss.

Leave a comment:

• bnolsen
    replied
    So what kind of risks are you facing if using the "nobarrier" option?

From a performance standpoint it seems like it might make sense to use lzo,nobarrier with OS partitions which don't get updated that often.

Leave a comment:

• TeoLinuX
    replied
    Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Still not old, old is the 2Ghz P4 Northwood w/ 384Mb PC2100, i845G chipset pushing a 30Gb 4200RPM HDD. Or the 800Mhz G4 PowerMac w/ 1Gb PC133, Radeon 7500 pushing a 7200 RPM HDD. Both are pretty damn old, but both are still more then usable in Linux, though they are pretty damn slow in OS X and Windows.
    Does the PowerMac G4 push OS X?
    I learned something new!
    I believed it worked only on x86 machines. I've never been a mac user and Wikipedia busted my false belief
    --> it worked on it until Leopard 10.5 wow

any mac user can tell whether it chokes the hardware, or is it responsive? Leopard on a G4, I mean

Leave a comment:

• TeoLinuX
    replied
    And you dub that rig "old" ?

Come and take a look at mine

Leave a comment:

• Nevertime
    replied
    One day computers will be useful and relevant 100 years after production.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Still not old, old is the 2Ghz P4 Northwood w/ 384Mb PC2100, i845G chipset pushing a 30Gb 4200RPM HDD. Or the 800Mhz G4 PowerMac w/ 1Gb PC133, Radeon 7500 pushing a 7200 RPM HDD. Both are pretty damn old, but both are still more then usable in Linux, though they are pretty damn slow in OS X and Windows.

Leave a comment:

• frostwarrior
    replied
    Originally posted by sc3252 View Post
    Its not a Core 2 duo, its a core duo. There is a big difference between the two, for starters the core 2 duo is a lot faster, second its 6 years old. If you told someone you were using a p3 in 2006 they would tell you thats old crap, so yes it is old. On the other hand a core duo is still useful today, unlike a p3 would be in 2006.
    The title is still misleading.
    When someone talks about "old computers", the usual is to picture this:
    Vendemos equipos reacondicionados, con garantía al mejor precio del mercado.

It usually means "crappy and utterly unusable junk".

A core duo isn't junk. They are very useful today.
    A better example of an old computer is a P4. That's a very old processor and the limit of the obsolete.

Leave a comment:

• sc3252
    replied
    Originally posted by oliver View Post
    A core2duo isn't old! Now a 4500 (or was it 4200?) RPM ide laptopdrive, now that is old!
    Its not a Core 2 duo, its a core duo. There is a big difference between the two, for starters the core 2 duo is a lot faster, second its 6 years old. If you told someone you were using a p3 in 2006 they would tell you thats old crap, so yes it is old. On the other hand a core duo is still useful today, unlike a p3 would be in 2006.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X