No announcement yet.

Facebook's Flashcache For The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to see tests of Flashcache compared to the other options mentioned above, and also compared to Windows ReadyBoost and/or ReadyDrive.

Comment

Powersaving

This kind of stuff would be nice for powersaving of home used NAS devices. But there must be some more smarter control of the power control for the rotating disks.

Comment

In light of OCZ releasing their new Synapse drive with a proprietary Windows-only caching software (review), I started to look for a Linux alternative for using a SSD as a block-level cache for a HDD and stumbled upon bcache. (Yes, bcache has been mentioned earlier in this thread too). At first I was a bit disappointed because there seemed to be some major tradeoffs, e.g. lacking TRIM. Thankfully only the bcache wiki was out of date and support for TRIM has been completed. The code has been rebased for 3.1 and bcache looks really promising. The lkml response hasn't been very warm so far (surprise ), but this thread is worth checking out anyway. Hopefully Michael will also test bcache and maybe give it some publicity in form of a news posting.

Comment

Working...
        X