No announcement yet.

Facebook's Flashcache For The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes it would be nice to see a review of flashcache.

However I think that the best solution would be to have ssd-cache support directly in btrfs. Anyone knows if that is ongoing?

/Ivar

Comment

I'd like to see a review about FlashCache.
      Didn't know about bcache..

Comment

Tangentially related, I'd like to see how zram performs under heavy use (compared to tmpfs and/or a normal ramdisk).

Comment

Tiered data

Spinning drives are so much slower than physical ram, I like the idea of having an intermediary (compressed ram (compcache?), SSD, etc) that I don't manage, but simply install and forget about. Then the best uses (tmp, startup, cache) occur without configuration. I could see room for recommending both since SSD is fast permanent storage while compcache may benefit large data processing.

Comment

Yes. I manage several MySQL database servers for a large forum (~360k members, thousands online at once, ~1.5m posts all within the past 9 months) and a service that is incredibly database intense. What we're doing right now is we have a read-only slave that is clocked super high and has a reasonable amount of cores (hex-core hyperthreaded I believe) for low-latency transactions and a read-write master with 32 physical cores. They both have SSDs.

To put it in perspective, APC (A php opcode caching module) reduced our PHP load on the PHP servers by about 3/4. That's just PHP. If this FlashCache kernel module has a reasonable impact I'm very very interested in compiling into the database servers because it would save quite a bit of money as we wouldn't have to get another 32-core database server and organize real database clustering so soon. The reason I can't just do it is because it's the database master that would probably benefit the most from it, and that can't be taken offline anytime but the middle of the morning and for a very short period of time.

If anybody hosting very large websites is interested in how my boss and I deal with attacks (*very* large HTTP floods, bandwidth floods), we use Varnish's inline C support to determine when a cllient is not a user by doing stuff like honeypotting to see if a certain IP makes an impossible amount of connections, whether a client loads a certain page for an infinite amount of time, whether a client switches useragents more than a reasonable amount of times, etc. and if it finds that a user is not a user it gives them an Error 418 (I'm a teapot lolololol but that can only be seen from an application) and if they continue to violate the rule they get blackhole'd. We have not had a successful HTTP flood since that was put in place.
            Last edited by NoEffex; 26 September 2011, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Every time I see the word "FlashCache" I can't help but remember that stripper in Montreal so many years ago who used to open up her raincoat to get her g-string stuffed with 20's.....

Comment

Of course it will be interesting!
                Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Every time I see the word "FlashCache" I can't help but remember that stripper in Montreal so many years ago who used to open up her raincoat to get her g-string stuffed with 20's.....
                  Have you, by any chance, heared about the GIMP?

Comment

Results for Flashcache by itself (or only in comparison to uncached hdd) wouldn't be terribly exciting, but if you add in bcache and/or a hybrid drive I'd like to see it.

Comment

I've been running flashcache for a while now on both SSD and ZRAM devices. There's definitely a big improvement under the right situation. One of the biggest improvements I've seen so far has been running it against an ext4 LVM2 partition running a minecraft server:

0 4194304 flashcache stats:
                      reads(1553408), writes(11806595)
                      read hits(986945), read hit percent(63)
                      write hits(10820089) write hit percent(91)
                      replacement(524380) write replacement(963051)
                      write invalidates(0) read invalidates(1)
                      pending enqueues(0) pending inval(0)
                      no room(0)
                      disk reads(566463) disk writes(10820089) ssd reads(986945) ssd writes(12373057)
                      uncached reads(1) uncached writes(0), uncached IO requeue(0)
                      pid_adds(0) pid_dels(0) pid_drops(0) pid_expiry(0)

If you get high enough cache reads and writes then it makes a world of difference.

Would be nice to see some hard and fast numbers though.

I also replaced tmpfs with zramfs a while ago on and saw substantial improvements there as well.
                      Last edited by Haven; 29 September 2011, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X