No announcement yet.

It's Time For The 2011 Linux Graphics Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display configuration tool (using nvidia drivers): I use disper for output configuration and xrandr for rotation.

For those not in the know, disper is incredibly useful if you use the nvidia driver and frequently configure displays (one line to switch to laptop panel/external display/clone mode/extended desktop mode).

Michael, you missed "single display, configured with other tool". I frequently use an external display attached to my laptop rotated to portrait orientation (since nvidia drivers have very very limited support for per-screen rotation settings).

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      For many systems I have the answers would be identical, CBA to check the same boxes four-five times. An option box "these answers match N systems" would be nice.
      This survey is meaningless enough as it is, given that you could easily code up a screen stuffer to automatically submit the form many times with the answers you want, to skew the results. Adding an option into the survey allowing you to specify the number of "votes" you want with a simple number would skew it even worse.

Imho the survey should be protected behind Phoronix.com login system. One survey submission per login. Select only the answers you feel most strongly about.

Phoronix is pretty decent against the automation of new account creation because of the CAPTCHA, so if somebody wants to sit there all night and do 50 surveys by making 50 gmail accounts and putting in the phoronix CAPTCHA for each one, let 'em. They'd also have to use some mechanism to keep changing their IP address, since phoronix should already have a limit on the number of accounts you can register on a given IP address per 48 hours or so.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
        This survey is meaningless enough as it is, given that you could easily code up a screen stuffer to automatically submit the form many times with the answers you want, to skew the results. Adding an option into the survey allowing you to specify the number of "votes" you want with a simple number would skew it even worse.

Imho the survey should be protected behind Phoronix.com login system. One survey submission per login. Select only the answers you feel most strongly about.

Phoronix is pretty decent against the automation of new account creation because of the CAPTCHA, so if somebody wants to sit there all night and do 50 surveys by making 50 gmail accounts and putting in the phoronix CAPTCHA for each one, let 'em. They'd also have to use some mechanism to keep changing their IP address, since phoronix should already have a limit on the number of accounts you can register on a given IP address per 48 hours or so.

There is an IP counter for the survey already to try to prevent too many from one IP.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I don't like the "Enter survey for every system" either. I already answered 3 times, but in reality the systems around me that I have a say on is far higher. That's why I "only" entered 3 times, as I see it as 3 use-cases. It doesn't make sense for me to enter the same answers for all 3D workstations at places I worked, or every laptop my family uses, or even the 3 machines I have. And yes, I entered my multiple answered from 1 machine (same IP) because I'm the only one with the knowledge to answer them.

Point is, I would rather see far less results than a survey I can't trust.

Comment

lol. So besides my ATI-AMDs I'll be responsible for the few entries of VIA and "other" (Imagination Technologies in a TI OMAP). I felt so poor when I made these entries. All the things that were not working/misworking/not even to think of ever working came back from the surface of the swamps of forgetfulness where I had buried them.
            I should quickly set up another AMD system so I'll have something more positive to say.
            Even though with the free drivers it still lacks a bunch of things mentioned here in the survey.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I prefer open source drivers over proprietary ones, but only under the same conditions (e.g. both supporting the same level of OpenGL, power management, etc).

So my answer is yes, I prefer open source ones.

However I use the proprietary one (NVIDIA) cause it's superior to the open source one (Nouveau) in the aspects that I care the most.

To me, the "I don't care" option is for when there are 2 drivers with exactly the same features and same level of support but they have different licenses. A typical Windows user won't care about either license.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post

I agree with this too.

Maybe there also needs to be a brain storming of questions to begin with. Along with a vote on what ones are most relevant. For instance, I care that we have working drivers, simple put. How often are drivers broken or difficult to work around? Writing an xorg.conf was never difficult for me either, so I never understood the intention of those questions.

Comment

Working...
                X