Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
    Are you perhaps talking about the Gimp?
    In which case the answer is when all the internals are replaced with GeGL.
    3.0 should be a massive improvement over the current situation if they manage to pull it all off, and launch it sometime in the next 10 years. Hopefully long before the decade is over :P Two features I miss in GIMP are 16bit/channel and Free Transform. Apart from that it's an excellent program. Even with the multi-window window mode. The single window mode somehow feels more awkward than the classic gimp mode. Oh, and what the hell are they thinking with that Export instead of Save for every single image format except .xcf???

@cl333r Are you the one working on that OpenCL backend for GEGL? If you are nice work Gimp really needs a performance boost like that.
    Last edited by devius; 16 August 2011, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Blah blah blah... but what about 16bit/channel?
      Just think, its only been 11 years since the functionality was handed to them on a silver platter and they rejected it unanimously in favor of vapor ware.

It has got to be one of the biggest boneheaded moves in software development.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        Just think, its only been 11 years since the functionality was handed to them on a silver platter and they rejected it unanimously in favor of vapor ware.
        I know, I still use Cinepaint
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

It has got to be one of the biggest boneheaded moves in software development.
          No, that seat is taken by Windows ME...

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            3.0 should be a massive improvement over the current situation if they manage to pull it all off, and launch it sometime in the next 10 years. Hopefully long before the decade is over :P Two features I miss in GIMP are 16bit/channel and Free Transform. Apart from that it's an excellent program. Even with the multi-window window mode. The single window mode somehow feels more awkward than the classic gimp mode. Oh, and what the hell are they thinking with that Export instead of Save for every single image format except .xcf???

@cl333r Are you the one working on that OpenCL backend for GEGL? If you are nice work Gimp really needs a performance boost like that.
            no, it's me. thanks
            I'm happy to answer any questions about the project.

Comment

The people who actually patched GIMP to make FilmGIMP which later became Cinepaint were the very same people who later started GEGL to do everything properly (i.e. not like in FilmGIMP/Cinepaint). But sure, you know better about silver plates and whatnot. Facts are soooo boring, aren't they?
              Last edited by prokoudine; 16 August 2011, 09:54 PM.

Comment

I like the separate save/export workflow - It means that I never loose layers etc because I accidently saved in the wrong format. I use gimp for texturing which means I am constantly updating a png (or dds) image to make changes in (say blender) if I don't remember to save my last copy as an XCF I would loose a lot of work.

Comment

Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
                  I like the separate save/export workflow - It means that I never loose layers etc because I accidently saved in the wrong format. I use gimp for texturing which means I am constantly updating a png (or dds) image to make changes in (say blender) if I don't remember to save my last copy as an XCF I would loose a lot of work.
                  In that case it can help, but if you just want to do adjustments to an image and don't use layers, then it gets in the way. I guess it's not possible to please both Greeks and Trojans. I can see the benefits, but for now it's been a pain. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to...

Comment

Originally posted by victormoliveira View Post
                    no, it's me. thanks
                    I'm happy to answer any questions about the project.
                    Well then, good luck with that and I really hope you succeed. Gimp is falling behind the "competition" in terms of performance.
                    Oh, andif you get any free time and don't have anything better to do, how about improving the rendering backend in inkscape as well? :-D

Comment

Oh, andif you get any free time and don't have anything better to do, how about improving the rendering backend in inkscape as well? :-D
                      You probably don't follow Inkscape's development closely. Head over to inkscape.org, I have some news there for you

Comment

Working...
                      X