• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OSX Lion is better than both GNOME 3 and KDE 4.6

Discuss.

Comment

In all seriousness...

I have gone back and forth between GNOME, KDE, and Enlightenment over the past 13 years I have used Linux. GNOME3 has some baking to do, IMHO. But that is why we have options.

Comment

I think gnome 3 is great, and it is consistently improving. I don't think it deserves the hate its been getting.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
          STFU trolls...

gnome file picker was better than dumb KDE picker.. maybe it was more "pretty" but behavior was sucky.
          lets see what new gnome picker brings, stop bitching haters...
          Obviously you don't know what you are talking about or you are just a
          terrible, dirty and hungry troll. There are a lot of things to be said
          about KDE, but its file pickers have always been praised for their
          excellence. In fact, it is one of the only reasons I use KDE, since the
          DE on the whole it's rather sucky to say the least.

But I happen to work with a great number of files and file types, including
          text documents, pictures, media archives, proprietary document binary
          formats and old console ROMS. From time to time I may even have dozens
          of them in a single directory, so I need a file picker that helps me navigate
          comfortably and find my way through the file system to get the job done.
          After reading many reviews and trying different solutions I came to the
          conclusion that KDE's file picker offers a unique blend of intuitiveness, easy
          of use and performance, as well as sporting an impressive feature set.

If only I could use KDE's file picker in Gnome 3 or Windows Vista I would
          be a happy man.

Comment

so explain what the godlike stuff in KDE picker?

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
              so explain what the godlike stuff in KDE picker?
              I've exhausted all my trolling reserves. Gotta wait a few days to replenish them, sorry.

; )

Comment

The file picker is, by a HUGE margin, the worst thing about GTK. It's awful. Any improvement is welcome, as it can hardly get any worse.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  The file picker is, by a HUGE margin, the worst thing about GTK. It's awful. Any improvement is welcome, as it can hardly get any worse.
                  Can you explain this statement?
                  I would've thought the primitive nature of the toolkit as a whole would be the worst thing. Certainly the API is nothing very pretty, and its all built upon dangerous and verbose C. Additionally, its not the most X-platform toolkit, and is, on its own, only gui related with no tools for handling media.
                  Frankly, as it currently stands, gtk would be an embarrasment to mid-90s toolkits.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                    Can you explain this statement?
                    I would've thought the primitive nature of the toolkit as a whole would be the worst thing. Certainly the API is nothing very pretty, and its all built upon dangerous and verbose C.
                    This depends on what language you're talking about. GTK's native C api is disgusting, it's true; however, I find the C++ API (gtkmm) to be far more natural and sensible than the camel-cased, macro-laden nonsense that Qt uses.

Not that I don't prefer Qt in almost every other respect, but their API is just... ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by pdusen View Post
                      This depends on what language you're talking about. GTK's native C api is disgusting, it's true; however, I find the C++ API (gtkmm) to be far more natural and sensible than the camel-cased, macro-laden nonsense that Qt uses.

Not that I don't prefer Qt in almost every other respect, but their API is just... ugh.
                      Well, I did specify C, but if you want to look at its bindings, then look at GIR and you can pick your language (is gtkmm even still being maintained?).

As for the other respects, can you be more specific?

Comment

Working...
                      X