Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WebCL: OpenCL For The Browser

Phoronix: WebCL: OpenCL For The Browser

First there was WebGL to bring OpenGL to the web-browser, and now there's WebCL to do the same for bringing OpenCL to the web. The Khronos Group is getting ready WebCL, to bring OpenCL to modern web browsers with JavaScript support. Early WebCL support is already available for the WebKit rendering engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't this a bit overkill? Why would anyone use opencl on a webpage?

Comment

Originally posted by wpoely86 View Post
      Isn't this a bit overkill? Why would anyone use opencl on a webpage?
      It would actually be kind of cool. Upload a data set to your webbrowser and let it crunch away instead of having to install an application on your system first. Also I could also see distributed projects liking this as well. Open up your browser, navigate to a page, and bamm you have another client on the swarm crunching away.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        It would actually be kind of cool. Upload a data set to your webbrowser and let it crunch away instead of having to install an application on your system first. Also I could also see distributed projects liking this as well. Open up your browser, navigate to a page, and bamm you have another client on the swarm crunching away.
        No doubt about the coolness of this but... since it's totally unpredictable how long you stay on a site, i doubt that this useful for distributed computing. Not to mention that javascript is not a very efficient tool to do heavy number crunching, even with webcl.

Comment

This is really getting stupid.
          Web browser has no business in dealing with complicated processor hungry tasks, and too much worry is being made over getting the processing off the processor onto the GPU. You know, with these big fast multi-core CPUs, you can whip off a lot of numbers... its what they're there for, USE THEM and quit worrying about GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by wpoely86 View Post
            No doubt about the coolness of this but... since it's totally unpredictable how long you stay on a site, i doubt that this useful for distributed computing. Not to mention that javascript is not a very efficient tool to do heavy number crunching, even with webcl.
            The client versions of distributed computing that are not browser based have no way of knowing how long you keep crunching as well. Many people with desktops have their browsers open 24/7.

Comment

You can use OpenCL from within OpenGL to do different things - so I can see why you might want to have the same abilities within WebGL. I suspect it probably won't be used very much, though.

It could be cool to do some crowdsourcing with it. For example, put up an OpenCL algorithm in javascript on a webpage, and let a bunch of people hit it with different hardware. Serve up different versions, or even let them edit parameters in the javascript to find ideal splits based on what hardware you have. So i guess I can think of a few cool things to do with it.

Comment

Nokia team give Image procesing as example

of WebCL use.

And WebCL can be 100x faster than JS!
                And if GPU is idling then why not use it for some computing?

And WebApps may need some extra horse power. (stfu, those of you that forbid web apps to become complex stuff).

Comment

Yyeah, I'm totally gonna give a random web page access to my gpu in order for it to mine bitcoins on my electricity.

Comment

Even when OpenCL-over-Gallium3D is there, it won't do any good for those with the Intel classic driver or those just wishing to use OpenCL on the CPU;
                    This is true, but I don't see why the browsers couldn't use a CPU-only implementation such as AMD's APP SDK (fka Stream) or Intel's CPU-based OpenCL run-time library.

Comment

Working...
                    X