Torvalds: User-Space File-Systems, Toys, Misguided People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Win 7 is definitely the most stable GUI OS made by MS, but I've found it crashed on me several times before, and I don't use it for anything except gaming and virtualization (and no, it hasn't crashed during a game or virtualizing). Linux only crashes on me when a program I develop goes wrong, overclocking too much, or faulty drivers.
    I find it hard to believe that you are running your windows without overclock and only overclock for Linux. Overclock right there is a reason enough why your windows would crash. Software quality does not help a thing when your hardware has been pushed past it's designed limits.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
      I find it hard to believe that you are running your windows without overclock and only overclock for Linux. Overclock right there is a reason enough why your windows would crash. Software quality does not help a thing when your hardware has been pushed past it's designed limits.
      First of all, you're quoting a 6-year-old post.
      Second, I never said or implied I OC in Linux and not Windows. I was just stating that overclocking is one of the only primary causes for instability in Linux, as it is with any OS. Linux isn't magically stable no matter what you do, so I wanted to clarify that I have in fact encountered stability issues with it, because of things scuh as OCing.
      Third, I never said or implied software quality correlates to hardware pushed past its limits.

Comment

First of all, you're quoting a 6-year-old post.
        Second, I never said or implied I OC in Linux and not Windows. I was just stating that overclocking is one of the only primary causes for instability in Linux, as it is with any OS. Linux isn't magically stable no matter what you do, so I wanted to clarify that I have in fact encountered stability issues with it, because of things scuh as OCing.
        Third, I never said or implied software quality correlates to hardware pushed past its limits.
        Win 7 is definitely the most stable GUI OS made by MS, but I've found it crashed on me several times before, and I don't use it for anything except gaming and virtualization (and no, it hasn't crashed during a game or virtualizing). Linux only crashes on me when a program I develop goes wrong, overclocking too much, or faulty drivers.
        Just for the sake of argument.
        You are pretty much implying there that Windows would crash with or without overclock, with or without doing anything, be the drivers faulty or not... etc.

And yeah, 6 years old. Last post was from 2 years a go. Somehow that thread popped up as "recent". I don't dig around. Sorry. I won't respond here any more.
        Last edited by aht0; 26 October 2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          the big two competing OSes are at least partially micro-kernels (OS X and WinNT) and perform just fine to get stuff done for the regular folk thank you very much. Also, Win7 crashes less than Linux. (Seriously. If your DRM driver in Linux crashes, your system is hosed. If your WDDM driver in Windows crashes, it just restarts, and even quite a few apps that use D3D directly can recover from that restart without a hitch. It's pretty awesome. I get waaaay more kernel oopses from Linux than I get blue screens from Windows... and I very very rarely get a Linux kernel oops.)
          This just isn't true. Mac OS and NT are both well known to be Hybrid Kernels which means a monolithic kernel with loadable modules and potentially userspace modules... as far as WDDM linux has nearly the same thing with libDRM and Mesa. And yes... graphics drivers can just restart on Linux. WDDM just enforces that the drivers implement all that nice stuff. Windows Blue screens is mostly hardware specific... if you get a poorly supported device it will bluescreen for days. My coworker had a laptop that his sound driver would bluescreen him at least 1-2 times a day untill he figured out the right update to install to fix it (a myriad of updates didn't work).

Both Mac OS and NT lean much more heavily toward being modular kernels with loadable modules, than micro kernels to the point that most of the advantages are negated as far as microkernels go. The main advantage both gain from userspace drivers is that they are easier to write and maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
            Somehow that thread popped up as "recent".
            The thread was linked in a recent news post. I didn't realize it was an old thread myself until I got to the last page.

Comment

Working...
            X