No announcement yet.

Torvalds: User-Space File-Systems, Toys, Misguided People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

funny how people with no clue belittle Linus.

funny how people use NT as an example for a microkernel

funny how PHORONIX AGAIN fails to provide USEFULL links in the article. Like to the mailing list thread (on marc, if possible).

Comment

Yes, I think Linus's point stands.

FUSE is joking toys.

All binary blobs GO FUCK YOURSELF

End of story

I don't know what's the psychology behind building a closed portion to an Open system. I guess it's just greed, which is the fundamental problem of humanity. You get whatever you can without giving back. again, GO FUCK YOURSELF

If you want to sell closed programs, you might just target OSX and Windows and GTFO, otherwise it's just wrong, you are disobeying god's will and should rot and burn in hell.
      Last edited by FunkyRider; 25 June 2011, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
        Yes, I think Linus's point stands.

FUSE is joking toys.

All binary blobs GO FUCK YOURSELF
        Umm........... what?

Every FUSE filesystem I've mentioned is open source.

The NTFS kernel driver written by Tuxera, which does not use FUSE, is closed source.

How do you get from "FUSE is joking toys" to "All binary blobs [expletive]"?

I think you're just throwing out random invective with no particular idea of what you're saying.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          Also, Win7 crashes less than Linux. (Seriously. If your DRM driver in Linux crashes, your system is hosed. If your WDDM driver in Windows crashes, it just restarts, and even quite a few apps that use D3D directly can recover from that restart without a hitch. It's pretty awesome. I get waaaay more kernel oopses from Linux than I get blue screens from Windows... and I very very rarely get a Linux kernel oops.)
          Oops isn't something which forces you to hit the reset button afaik. Keep in mind there are Linux distributions which don't ship the latest X bits.

Comment

Originally posted by bachinchi View Post
            I meant Linus, sometimes he's just a dick.
            While he's just talking then it's ok. I can't imagine FUSE going away soon, but probably nobody said it will be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              While he's just talking then it's ok. I can't imagine FUSE going away soon, but probably nobody said it will be removed.
              Linus did NOT say that FUSE was useless and should go away. He said that EXT4 on FUSE would be stupid. NTFS on FUSE is fine though, since nobody in their right mind would make their root FS NTFS or use NTFS for anything besides some data retrieval from a corrupt windoze install.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                Linus did NOT say that FUSE was useless and should go away. He said that EXT4 on FUSE would be stupid. NTFS on FUSE is fine though, since nobody in their right mind would make their root FS NTFS or use NTFS for anything besides some data retrieval from a corrupt windoze install.
                Why corrupt? Mine is perfectly fine. So is the NTFS disk of everyone who dual-boots Windows/Linux (which is A FREAKIN' LOT of people.)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Why corrupt? Mine is perfectly fine. So is the NTFS disk of everyone who dual-boots Windows/Linux (which is A FREAKIN' LOT of people.)
                  Why else would you want to access disk from wondoze unless its to recover data?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    Why else would you want to access disk from wondoze unless its to recover data?
                    I already said why in my post. Maybe you should try reading the stuff you quote.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      I already said why in my post. Maybe you should try reading the stuff you quote.
                      No you didn't, what you suggested makes no sense. There's no point.

Comment

Working...
                      X