Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFS Is Becoming Leaner While Btrfs & EXT4 Gain Weight

Phoronix: XFS Is Becoming Leaner While Btrfs & EXT4 Gain Weight

Red Hat's Eric Sandeen has written an interesting blog post concerning the size of popular Linux file-systems and their kernel modules. It turns out that the XFS file-system is losing lines of code, while maintaining the same feature-set and robustness, but the EXT4 and Btrfs file-systems continue to have a net increase in lines of code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A quoto

"Measuring software productivity by lines of code is like measuring progress on an airplane by how much it weighs."- Bill Gates

May be we can find if there is any real improvement by a phoronix benchmark

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      It's not too surprising though that the Btrfs file-system size is on the rise as it's still under active development and new features are continuing to be added.
      That's the only sentence that is needed.

Comment

It's also noteworthy that according to the graph on the original post ext4 is only approaching half of the LOCs of xfs...

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          It's also noteworthy that according to the graph on the original post ext4 is only approaching half of the LOCs of xfs...
          That kinda is what actually matters....

+1

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
            That kinda is what actually matters....

+1
            Yeah, the fact that XFS code has been decreasing kind of proves the point. That it was complicated and not extremely well integrated with Linux, otherwise it shouldn't be possible to be consistently reducing the LOCs like that over an extended period of time. But at least it's getting better.

Comment

XFS has always served me well. During the days EXT4 was still causing data corruption, XFS did its job.
              The only problem I had, was when I broke the hard drive's partition table. It took me a while to get a utility to recover the XFS partition. It worked, eventually.

Comment

Given that XFS was originally ported directly from IRIX I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "compatability layer" in place to map any systemcalls that weren't present in Linux. Given that IRIX has been dead in water since 2006 the guys in SGI/XFS can over time reduce dependency on such a layer -- as they don't have to maintain codebase with IRIX XFS anymore.

Comment

It's not the first time forum is more informative than article.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    It's not the first time forum is more informative than article.
                    I am not sure why you call it an article. This was submitted under "Latest Linux News".

Comment

Working...
                    X