Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Puts Out Firefox 5.0 Web Browser

Phoronix: Mozilla Puts Out Firefox 5.0 Web Browser

It was only in late March when Mozilla released Firefox 4.0, but under their new development practices that are similar to that of Google's Chrome web-browser, Firefox 5.0 was released yesterday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would just like to point out that this isn't release 5 in the same manner as as previous versioning. 3:4 is not the same as 4:5. Think of it as version 4.1.

Comment

release notes/change log here

* Background tabs have setTimeout and setInterval clamped to 1000ms to improve performance
      looks good. may help battery life with lots of tabs open.

Comment

I don't blame the Mozilla devs for wanting to bump the version number as a bit of marketing. It's a nice release either way.

It will be interesting to see when Google gets tired of incrementing the Chrome version, a-la Linus.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
          I don't blame the Mozilla devs for wanting to bump the version number as a bit of marketing. It's a nice release either way.

It will be interesting to see when Google gets tired of incrementing the Chrome version, a-la Linus.
          Hopefully before they arrive at a googol :P

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            I would just like to point out that this isn't release 5 in the same manner as as previous versioning. 3:4 is not the same as 4:5. Think of it as version 4.1.
            Does anyone with half a brain really care about the version number? The added features are far more important.

Comment

Do-not-track: a pointless header that anybody who WOULD be inclined to track you would ignore. I don't see any value in this header, it does NOTHING to improve privacy. What would be a nice addition to the android version would be, rather than this pointlessness, PRIVATE BROWSING (no storage of cache/history/cookies/anything to device).

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                Does anyone with half a brain really care about the version number? The added features are far more important.
                Typically, the version number step implies the number and/or significance of added features. A big version step implies a lot of significant changes, a small version step implies a few less significant changes. They made a BIG version step for insignificant feature changes, hence the clarification I added regarding the version numbering -- so that people who ARE expecting big changes due to such a big version number change won't all bother rushing out to update to something that really isn't significantly different. There WILL be a LOT of people who will take this update and be really disappointed that nothing has really changed.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  Does anyone with half a brain really care about the version number?
                  Obviously Mozilla does, otherwise they wouldn't have switched to the "My version number dick is bigger than yours" system.

Comment

Source Archives?

This does not seem to be in the source archives yet (ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/), have they moved the location for downloading the source for releases?

Comment

Working...
                    X