• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allquixotic
    replied
    Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    Was (is?) AIR any good at all?
    The platform is/was extremely buggy and error-prone to get started, especially if trying to run it on a 64-bit host. Lots of missing libraries, sound that sometimes didn't work, etc.

But, once you got it running, there are some decent free AIR apps, like Pandora. Still, it's nowhere near as promising for desktop apps (that's what AIR provides; desktop apps) as other things like Qt4.

Leave a comment:

• oglueck
    replied
    Focussing on one thing is hard...

Given the company has 9000 employees. Hell, how should they focus on anything!

Leave a comment:

• movieman
    replied
    "So, with Desktop Linux, we see a basically flat growth curve hovering around 1%. And since the release of AIR, we?ve seen only a 0.5% download share for desktop Linux."
    I have a hard time believing that one Linux desktop in every two has Adobe AIR installed.

Leave a comment:

• EarthMind
    replied
    Adobe AIR was doomed to fail on Linux anyway, or even in general. Most of the installations on Windows are probably thanks to bundling the malware with their other software or by having it pre-installed in new PCs and laptops. They didn't even release a 64 bit editions for any operating system and they are slow as hell with updates.

I intended to learn how to develop AIR apps in the past but chose for Java instead, AIR apps may be very sexy if you put some effort in it, but they are slow ass hell and they lack a lot of essential features. In my eyes this isn't even suited for enterprise use.

I hope there will come an end to AIR & privacy unfriendly flash in the near feature. Both are unneeded. HTML5, webGL, JavaScript for the win! And Microsoft, you can keep your damn Silverlight too.

Leave a comment:

• PsynoKhi0
    replied
    Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    If this is the beginning of the end of Linux support for Adobe's other products, such as Flash and Adobe Reader, I say good riddance. We didn't need your 32-bit buggy shit either, Adobe! No one will care about your insignificant little company when Flash is obsoleted by HTML5, anyway. Google, Apple, Mozilla, and Microsoft -- those four companies are all heavily invested in HTML5, and HTML5 is the Flash killer. Adobe: If you want to commit suicide, then please go ahead and die!
    Actually that could be why. HTML5 might be starting to eat their lunch so they don't have the resources to develop on too many different platforms anymore. Linux just so happens to be hit first.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    Android doesn't use any of the desktop APIs though.

Desktop GL? Nope.
    VA-API? Nope.
    X11? Nope.
    Xv? Nope.

Even if you could run the ARM binary in a linux-elf-arm-EABI to linux-elf-x86-64 binary translator (a la ndiswrapper), it wouldn't work at all with desktop technologies. AFAIK you can write a native NPAPI plugin for the Android browser, but that's where the similarities end.

Still, if they exclude desktop Linux from the Flash 11 release train, I would rather use wine and some hacks to run the Windows Flash plugin for Firefox inside of a native browser window. The good news is that we already have the binary translation technology we need to run a Win32/PE executable on Linux; we don't have the tools needed (outside of qemu or bochs) to run an ARM binary "by itself" on x86 Linux. We don't have an ARM emulator (that I'm aware of). And even if we did, no one has proposed integrating the Android APIs into the standard Linux desktop.
    There was something called the "Android Execution Environment" that wrapped android into desktop linux natively.

Leave a comment:

• FreeBooteR69
    replied
    I've never used AIR so won't miss it. Most Gnu/Linux users probably never heard of it anyway so no loss there.

Leave a comment:

• PsynoKhi0
    replied
    Ah yes... Ye Good Ol' 1% - The apologist's best friend!

Blam! 5% here! With a steady increase too, no less.
    How did they gather those figures*? Don't know, don't care, merely throwing in random pretty tables and graphs that will support my points. Anyone can do that, try it! It's fun!

* Yes it's only for the w3schools website and they're more likely to attract developers, just bear with me on this one.

But, to quote Jeffrey Hammond of Forrester, “There are already 100M Linux devices, it just so happens they’re running Android.”
    Yet the Netmarketshare data pins Android at 0.76% share. That would put the total market size in terms of units at roughly 13.15 billion. Remember those are computing devices on which users actively consume web services, so no servers.
    World population is close to 7B http://www.prb.org/, of which 1.2B live in developed countried http://www.unfpa.org/pds/trends.htm, let's round that up to 2B to include parts of developing countries where life standards are high enough to matter here.

Over 6 computing devices per head? Please tell me my math is completely off, because something doesn't add up here. A desktop, a laptop and a mobile, both at work and at home?

Was (is?) AIR any good at all?
    Last edited by PsynoKhi0; 15 June 2011, 11:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• allquixotic
    replied
    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    "Adobe is dropping the Linux desktop client so they can focus on mobile platforms such as Android".....
    And of course, Android **IS** Linux, so running the Android client on any other Linux shouldn't be too much trouble... unless they release ONLY ARM blobs. In which case it would obviously be necessary to run the stupid thing in the android emulator.

Are they really so lazy that they can't build it for Linux?

Oh well.... its just another bullet they've decided belongs in the middle of their brains. Won't be missed by many.
    Android doesn't use any of the desktop APIs though.

Desktop GL? Nope.
    VA-API? Nope.
    X11? Nope.
    Xv? Nope.

Even if you could run the ARM binary in a linux-elf-arm-EABI to linux-elf-x86-64 binary translator (a la ndiswrapper), it wouldn't work at all with desktop technologies. AFAIK you can write a native NPAPI plugin for the Android browser, but that's where the similarities end.

Still, if they exclude desktop Linux from the Flash 11 release train, I would rather use wine and some hacks to run the Windows Flash plugin for Firefox inside of a native browser window. The good news is that we already have the binary translation technology we need to run a Win32/PE executable on Linux; we don't have the tools needed (outside of qemu or bochs) to run an ARM binary "by itself" on x86 Linux. We don't have an ARM emulator (that I'm aware of). And even if we did, no one has proposed integrating the Android APIs into the standard Linux desktop.
    Last edited by allquixotic; 15 June 2011, 10:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    "Adobe is dropping the Linux desktop client so they can focus on mobile platforms such as Android".....
    And of course, Android **IS** Linux, so running the Android client on any other Linux shouldn't be too much trouble... unless they release ONLY ARM blobs. In which case it would obviously be necessary to run the stupid thing in the android emulator.

Are they really so lazy that they can't build it for Linux?

Oh well.... its just another bullet they've decided belongs in the middle of their brains. Won't be missed by many.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X