PathScale Open-Sources The EKOPath 4 Compiler Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't forget about open64

In open-source world, beyond GCC, PCC, clang, and EKOPath4 now, there is also Open64 for long time. There is also AMD's version of it (both for 32 and 64-bits), with even more tweeked support and better performance. All open source (as oviously there is many other, but closed source).

Comment

• Originally posted by baryluk View Post
      In open-source world, beyond GCC, PCC, clang, and EKOPath4 now, there is also Open64 for long time.
      Open64 wouldn't exist today if it wasn't for PathScale and I really hope the 2 corporations keeping it alive start contributing back/working with us.

It's taken us a huge amount of work to get where we are and we're trying to sincerely build an open source community. (Think on the size of gcc/llvm) To do this we need real people handling issues on the non-corporate forums, answering questions on IRC/mailing lists and actually having a clue about what's going on and just SPEC benchmark hacks to sell processors.

I love shiny benchmarks, but at the end of the day it's not why I'm here replying to this thread... Food for thought..

Comment

• well, I am waiting with the system rebuild until I can:

install the compiler in gentoo
        (yesterday it did not work)

and
        compile kde and the kernel with it

then

emerge -e world

*G*

and then a lot of whiney noises about all the slow downs - or not so whiney noises about improvements *G*

hm... the only other thing that might be troublesome ati and nvidia drivers...

Comment

• Yeah, it's a freakin' RPM. Isn't there a tar.bz2 or something?

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
            well, I am waiting with the system rebuild until I can:

install the compiler in gentoo
            (yesterday it did not work)

and
            compile kde and the kernel with it

then

emerge -e world

*G*

and then a lot of whiney noises about all the slow downs - or not so whiney noises about improvements *G*

hm... the only other thing that might be troublesome ati and nvidia drivers...
            There's been some progress on the ebuild afaik. (ping us on irc for real update)

Also if you happen to make it around - ping me about a project we're thinking about doing.. I won't give more details on the forums though.. I will say it may be very interesting for gentoo'ers.

We're not infallible.. Just file good bug reports on any performance issues and we'll take a look as we have time and the severity.

Comment

• I will have a look at the overlays and see if the stuff there works for me. Last time I tried -bin failed with sandbox violations and -9999 failed because gcc 4.5 can not build gcc 4.2

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Yeah, it's a freakin' RPM. Isn't there a tar.bz2 or something?
                Guess you should read the LSB.

Comment

• well a bad standard is a bad standard. No matter how many times you read it, it doesn't get better. But - a rpm is not the problem. Hopefully useable ebuilds are popping up soon.

Comment

• ebuild (bin) works fine here. Well, installs and compiles things without issue, though I'm only using it on isolated areas (i.e from downloaded tarballs). My own project doesn't like it too much, but that was due to using c++0x threading. I tried moving to boost, but I get runtime errors (hardly surprising really, with boost built against gcc4.5).

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Guess you should read the LSB.
                      Thanks. Just did. It still doesn't work. Now that was bad advice for fixing things.

Comment

Working...
                      X